Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 06:02:14 pm

Author Topic: UoM General Chat  (Read 4781337 times)  Share 

mikee65

Re: UoM General Chat
« Reply #270 on: November 08, 2011, 07:01:14 pm »
Yes I had no clue about the celite question,

for some reason I said 'Hox' genes not homeobox genes, think Ill get any marks?

EDIT: After looking at what I just wrote, It is just a contraction of Homeo and box, it should be ok I hope

tea.squaredd

• Forever a SONE.
  • Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +3
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #271 on: November 08, 2011, 07:03:32 pm »
Hey guys, I was just wondering if you were to go into Sci @ UoM and wanted to go for postgrad Med/Dent,  which prereqs would you neeed/ most relevant/ most enjoyable?
Also, does anyone know the percentage of biomed kids from UoM that go into Med/Dent and percentage of Sci kids from UoM that go into med/dent?
Cheers!
2010 - Chinese
2011 - English Biology Chemistry Further Methods
2012 - UQ Bachelor of Dental Science I

lexitu

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University.
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #272 on: November 08, 2011, 07:05:40 pm »
PS: spiral shell is ammonite.
the other thingie was a trilobite I think, the one that looks like a thumb nail with ridges.
And then omg the first fossil, was that that stupid bird dinosaur?  I wasn't there for that lecture either >: my Psych lab clashed with Biol on a Wednesday every second week EDIT: FOUND IT http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9d/Archaeopteryx_lithographica_%28Berlin_specimen%29.jpg/220px-Archaeopteryx_lithographica_%28Berlin_specimen%29.jpg I steal my photos from wikipedia too, WHY THE HELL ARE THEY NOT ON THE SLIDES IF YOU JUST STOLE THEM OFF THE INTERNET YOURSELF.
And then the stupid STICK THING - was that Hallucinowhatsit?  And then the thing with the digits, I couldn't remember if that was meant to be Ithchystajuruedfhdh or Aterosegasuaurdfd.

No wait I thought of something else - Rick's Section C question, he never referred to diatomecious earth as celite?  I didn't know that's what it was referring to...

I know that fossil question was a killer, got trilobites and ammonites but was taking a stab at the others and it looks like my Greek skills served me well. Had to have a massive guess with celite too

mikee65

« Reply #273 on: November 08, 2011, 07:07:52 pm »
tea.towel, go to medicine homepage---->pre-requisites.

I think its ~<15%? (someone else may know better), doing biomed confers no advantage to entry into medicine so its a moot point.

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #274 on: November 08, 2011, 07:19:27 pm »

EDIT: After looking at what I just wrote, It is just a contraction of Homeo and box, it should be ok I hope

Without having seen the question, you should, Hox is the accepted shorthand for Homeobox

Also, does anyone know the percentage of biomed kids from UoM that go into Med/Dent and percentage of Sci kids from UoM that go into med/dent?

The samples are biased but from memory 33% of the current cohort are biomed graduates and 17% are science graduates. Those are rougghhh numbers though

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +376
« Reply #275 on: November 08, 2011, 07:36:17 pm »

PRETTY SURE, BASED ON MY QUALITY OF ANSWER it should be accepted.
2009 ENTER: 99.05
2014: BSci Hons (Microbiology/Immunology) at UoM
2015+: PhD (Immunology) at UoM

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #276 on: November 08, 2011, 07:37:15 pm »
I know that fossil question was a killer, got trilobites and ammonites but was taking a stab at the others and it looks like my Greek skills served me well. Had to have a massive guess with celite too

Chose green algae: fail.

lexitu

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #277 on: November 08, 2011, 07:41:34 pm »

Lol, I can't even remember what I chose.

mikee65

« Reply #278 on: November 08, 2011, 07:51:28 pm »
^Neither, something silly Im sure  :-[

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #279 on: November 08, 2011, 07:51:38 pm »

Lol, I can't even remember what I chose.

I was just like 'quick, choose something that gives rise to things' at the end.  Would have been much more logical to choose brown but W/E MAN.  Ewww now chemistry...

mikee65

« Reply #280 on: November 08, 2011, 07:52:53 pm »
Today was the first time I used earplugs<------HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #281 on: November 08, 2011, 07:58:27 pm »
Today was the first time I used earplugs<------HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

I don't even think of these things, but to be honest the most distracting part is when the supervisors go and have a chat together.  No, gtfo.

tram

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #282 on: November 08, 2011, 09:06:06 pm »
Question, do they have a lost property bin or something at REB? During the exams my sunnies dropped off and i didn't bother to pick them up as they were in front of my table and a bit hard to get to and i forgot to get them at the end. Is there a place where you can pick the up or should i just ask a random invigilator at my next exam? I really would like them back as they were good ones haha. Also what do you reackon my chances of getting them back are? I know my seat number and they literally dropped right next to the table....

lexitu

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #283 on: November 08, 2011, 09:32:07 pm »
Question, do they have a lost property bin or something at REB? During the exams my sunnies dropped off and i didn't bother to pick them up as they were in front of my table and a bit hard to get to and i forgot to get them at the end. Is there a place where you can pick the up or should i just ask a random invigilator at my next exam? I really would like them back as they were good ones haha. Also what do you reackon my chances of getting them back are? I know my seat number and they literally dropped right next to the table....

I believe it was raining and there was a fair amount of cloud cover for most of the day :P

Asking an invigilator is the best option I reckon :)

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #284 on: November 08, 2011, 09:35:48 pm »
I would require sunglasses too, if I wore contacts and not prescription glasses to my exams.  The light is too frightening after that much cramming.

After learning I can lose 40 marks on Biol and not drop under 85, I feel slightly better...