Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 10:51:45 pm

Author Topic: UoM General Chat  (Read 4783865 times)  Share 

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +376
Re: UoM General Chat
« Reply #180 on: October 05, 2011, 06:06:14 pm »
Im not looking forward to getting 6 weeks of my holiday carved out for Chem 2 though, should have done it this semester..

It's so much fun tho lol, summa partii.
2009 ENTER: 99.05
2014: BSci Hons (Microbiology/Immunology) at UoM
2015+: PhD (Immunology) at UoM

Massofbubbles

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Studying Biomed
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #181 on: October 05, 2011, 07:14:14 pm »
Hey, Does anyone know how to link our student email account to a different gmail account so that it's possible to send and receive uni emails from the other account? I've tried a couple of things, but can't seem to get it to work :(

Lasercookie

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +326
« Reply #182 on: October 05, 2011, 07:22:38 pm »
+1
Hey, Does anyone know how to link our student email account to a different gmail account so that it's possible to send and receive uni emails from the other account? I've tried a couple of things, but can't seem to get it to work :(
It should be the same system for linking any other email account:
https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=22370 (click "I'm a Gmail or Google Apps user sending from an external address.")

In the accounts and import tab in settings, there's a 'send mail as' setting. You can pick to use 'send through gmail' (easier to set up) or use UoM's SMTP server.

For receiving mail into your account, you need to set up POP3 in gmail. Again it's in the accounts and imports tab of gmail.

http://www.its.unimelb.edu.au/support/email/settings - UoM's SMTP server and POP3 address is on this page. I just found that on Google, you might need to confirm those are correct from someone who is actually a student at Melbourne.

Massofbubbles

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Studying Biomed
« Reply #183 on: October 05, 2011, 07:37:35 pm »
You're awesome! Thanks heaps for that. Appreciate it.

Massofbubbles

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Studying Biomed
« Reply #184 on: October 05, 2011, 11:18:31 pm »
Actually when I put in the POP3 settings with my username and password it says "Server denied POP3 access for the given username and password."  :(

Mao

• CH41RMN
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +390
  • School: Kambrya College
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #185 on: October 06, 2011, 02:36:08 am »
Save your underloading credit. You are going to need it more in your final year than your first year.
Editor for ATARNotes Chemistry study guides.

VCE 2008 | Monash BSc (Chem., Appl. Math.) 2009-2011 | UoM BScHon (Chem.) 2012 | UoM PhD (Chem.) 2013-2015

Edmund

• Dr. Ruler Snapper
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +95
« Reply #186 on: October 06, 2011, 04:47:04 pm »
^Yes I am indeed looking forward to mine  :D,

Im not looking forward to getting 6 weeks of my holiday carved out for Chem 2 though, should have done it this semester..
Did you do forests instead of Chem this semester? Should have kept it for third year :)
2007-2008 VCE ATAR 90.15
2009-2011 BSc (Unimelb)
2012-2015 DDS (Unimelb)

Booksale: Drugs That Shape Society, Forests in a Global Context

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +376
« Reply #187 on: October 06, 2011, 04:54:53 pm »
He did Fundamentals last semester so he would have had to skip Chem 1.
2009 ENTER: 99.05
2014: BSci Hons (Microbiology/Immunology) at UoM
2015+: PhD (Immunology) at UoM

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #188 on: October 06, 2011, 05:05:30 pm »
By the time summer semester rolls around you'll be glad to get out of the house and do something. Part of the reason why I spend January working/volunteering, to overcome that post Christmas laziness lol

stonecold

• Victorian
  • Respect: +255
  • School Grad Year: 2010
« Reply #189 on: October 06, 2011, 11:32:44 pm »
Okay, so how many of you have a terrible lecturer?

I should have learnt my lesson when choosing a subject with the same guy from last semester, but he is deplorable.

-Doesn't write his own lecture slides: uses someone elses...which he then often talks about being wrong and whinges when he has to fix them.
-Takes forever to upload the lecture slides after the lecture...yeah that's right, this 30 second task is so monumental that we are usually faced with a 48 delay at least.  Slides from before the med sem break only went up this week.
-Hasn't released our assignment today which is when it was meant to be out.  If I am late, I lose 10% of my mark.  Should he lose 10% of his pay then?  Should we get an extra day to do it when he decides to get off his backside and post the thing up?  Bloody useless.

And why...because apparently he "has four kids" (not my problem)...soooo frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!
2011-13: BBiomed (Microbiology & Immunology Major) @ UniMelb

VCE 2009'10: English 46 | English Language 49 | Chemistry 50 | Biology 50 | Further Mathematics 48 | Mathematical Methods CAS 39
ATAR: 99.85

"Failure is not when one falls down but rather when one fails to get up" - unknown

kamil9876

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +109
« Reply #190 on: October 07, 2011, 12:02:45 am »
+1
-Doesn't write his own lecture slides: uses someone elses...

I have this problem with one lecturer too. On the first day he says that we will pretty much be following notes written by some guy in some other uni, so he sends us a link. Though there are some similairities, I still think the difference between our lectures and those lectures is too big. Worst of all doesn't put up the lecture notes from our actual lectures and instead just sends us links to those other lectures notes as well as scanned notes of some student from last year (rather than his own handwritten ones that he brings to class, WTF???)
Voltaire: "There is an astonishing imagination even in the science of mathematics ... We repeat, there is far more imagination in the head of Archimedes than in that of Homer."

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #191 on: October 07, 2011, 08:40:01 am »
+1
It's pretty crappy but it's called the real world, not everything goes according to plan. Hell, you're getting lecture notes, which is something they're not obligated to provide. I had a lecturer with a new baby who had his lecture notes saying that Flt3L is on B cells (it's not, it's on stromal cells). There was an exam MCQ "where is Flt3L" and we got it wrong. Unfortunately, that's just how stuff works sometimes and you just have to deal with it and forget it

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #192 on: October 07, 2011, 04:25:29 pm »
+1
First years are cute in a naive way :D

mikee65

« Reply #193 on: October 07, 2011, 08:16:29 pm »
By the time summer semester rolls around you'll be glad to get out of the house and do something. Part of the reason why I spend January working/volunteering, to overcome that post Christmas laziness lol
Problem is, I will only have ~40 days of concrete gamsat study before I have to start Chem 2, which will hopefully fill the Chem knowledge gaps I have in S3, after Chem 2 I'll have a few days to integrate it all before semester starts, errghh,

Ill looked at volunteering opportunities too, I might participate in a few closer to graduation, its unfortunate that only the last 4 years are counted in applying for internship.. well at RMH anyway, too far to even think about now anyway.

stonecold

• Victorian
  • Respect: +255
  • School Grad Year: 2010
« Reply #194 on: October 07, 2011, 11:22:39 pm »
+1
First years are cute in a naive way :D

Haha, that was one of the most awkward things I've ever been to, and I was completely outnumbered on the genetics front.   Everyone hates it!  :/

But thanks for helping me sort out subjects for next year.  POG + Microbes it is, along with probably GHS for breadth and I just have to find one more.  :)

Actually looking forward to next year now!!!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 11:49:28 pm by stonecold »
2011-13: BBiomed (Microbiology & Immunology Major) @ UniMelb

VCE 2009'10: English 46 | English Language 49 | Chemistry 50 | Biology 50 | Further Mathematics 48 | Mathematical Methods CAS 39
ATAR: 99.85

"Failure is not when one falls down but rather when one fails to get up" - unknown