Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:27:59 am

Author Topic: extra time at the end of an exam  (Read 1161 times)  Share 

PeriPeri101

• Trailblazer
  • dramatic at heart
  • Respect: +25
extra time at the end of an exam
« on: September 16, 2019, 04:21:26 pm »
+2
hi everyone!

In the middle of prelims and just wondering whats everyones tips for making productive use of the time you have left during the exam? I do not rush my exams but I always finish 20-30 minutes early and I try to look over my paper and find things to fix up but I can't find anything to do. I sort of have the mentality of 'what's done is done' and people all around me are still writing vigorously so I am a bit worried if I am not doing anything right  ???

any tips would be much appreciated although my last exam is tomorrow haha  ;D
subjects - year 12 2020: Biology - Society and Culture - Drama - Advanced Mathematics - Advanced English - Studies of Religion

Grace0702

• MOTM: OCT 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +32
Re: extra time at the end of an exam
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 05:31:16 pm »
+1
Hey!

So basically when I do an exam I will always do the questions I know best first and leave the hard ones for later in the exam, it ensures you get all the marks you know you can. I will usually circle the questions I am confused about or just not 100% with. Once i've attempted everything in the paper i'll go back to the questions i've circled and see if i'm confident that the answer i've given is the best I can do with what I remember.

I get what you mean when you kinda aren't bothered to continuously go through your exam because you have finished... except you haven't you still have heaps of time to make sure you can get all the marks you deserve. Once i've checked the questions i'm hesitant about I will turn to the beginning of the paper and I will do every question again. With multiple choice I do them all again and check that all the answers align (I have lost so many marks to simply shading the wrong bubble even when I knew the right answer :'( ) and that I haven't made an stupid mistakes. When I look through short answer again I look at the mark allocation as well as the question and i'll mentally create a checklist of what that answer needs to have, then i'll read my answer and make sure all those boxes are ticked. With essays I make sure I am ALWAYS answering the question, band 6 criteria requires a "sustained, logical and cohesive" response, so you need to constantly answer the question. I'll also check for spelling and grammar errors and make sure I have dumped everything I know about the topic onto that piece of paper.

Just a tip, its better to write more than less, if you look at your response and see places to add information just do it. After all, wouldn't you prefer to include the information and make it a 6/5 response rather than leaving it out and getting a 4/5.

I hope this helps!  :D
HSC 2019: Advanced Maths 92 || Standard English 89 || Physics 80 || Business Studies
95 || Information Processes and Technology 94 || Studies of Religion 1 45

ATAR: 96.05

2020: B Engineering/B Commerce @USYD

PeriPeri101

• Trailblazer
  • dramatic at heart
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 06:18:59 pm »
Hey!

So basically when I do an exam I will always do the questions I know best first and leave the hard ones for later in the exam, it ensures you get all the marks you know you can. I will usually circle the questions I am confused about or just not 100% with. Once i've attempted everything in the paper i'll go back to the questions i've circled and see if i'm confident that the answer i've given is the best I can do with what I remember.

I get what you mean when you kinda aren't bothered to continuously go through your exam because you have finished... except you haven't you still have heaps of time to make sure you can get all the marks you deserve. Once i've checked the questions i'm hesitant about I will turn to the beginning of the paper and I will do every question again. With multiple choice I do them all again and check that all the answers align (I have lost so many marks to simply shading the wrong bubble even when I knew the right answer :'( ) and that I haven't made an stupid mistakes. When I look through short answer again I look at the mark allocation as well as the question and i'll mentally create a checklist of what that answer needs to have, then i'll read my answer and make sure all those boxes are ticked. With essays I make sure I am ALWAYS answering the question, band 6 criteria requires a "sustained, logical and cohesive" response, so you need to constantly answer the question. I'll also check for spelling and grammar errors and make sure I have dumped everything I know about the topic onto that piece of paper.

Just a tip, its better to write more than less, if you look at your response and see places to add information just do it. After all, wouldn't you prefer to include the information and make it a 6/5 response rather than leaving it out and getting a 4/5.

I hope this helps!  :D

this is extremely helpful thank you so much!!

Say if you had 20 minutes left and you realise you didn't really answer the essay question what would you be doing? Taking parts out or starting all over again if that makes sense? It just becomes so messy hahaha  :'( ;D
subjects - year 12 2020: Biology - Society and Culture - Drama - Advanced Mathematics - Advanced English - Studies of Religion

Grace0702

• MOTM: OCT 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 06:47:47 pm »
this is extremely helpful thank you so much!!

Say if you had 20 minutes left and you realise you didn't really answer the essay question what would you be doing? Taking parts out or starting all over again if that makes sense? It just becomes so messy hahaha  :'( ;D

All good!! ;D

When writing essays I always start with a plan even if its small, its just something to say what I will include and what information is relevant. I then write a thesis that answers the question I have been given. Then with the body paragraphs i'll start with a topic sentence about the subject of the paragraph and a link back to my thesis, similarly with the link back at the end. You have probably heard this 1000 times but TEEL is a great structure to use and it ensure you are answering the question always.

It is a lot easier to make sure you answer the question initially, even if that takes up more time, at least you won't have to rush and try to morph what you have to suit the question. So be proactive and make sure when you are writing it you are doing what is asked. Also when writing it ask yourself "is this revelant? Will this help me porve my thesis?" If yes, put it in. If no, leave it out.

But if you fail to answer the question I say make small edits, try to cram in some sentences that will link to the question and cross out unnecessary parts. I get what you mean though, this would be a complete mess... I feel bad for the marker. So taking them into account just answer the question as you go!!
HSC 2019: Advanced Maths 92 || Standard English 89 || Physics 80 || Business Studies
95 || Information Processes and Technology 94 || Studies of Religion 1 45

ATAR: 96.05

2020: B Engineering/B Commerce @USYD