Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 11:12:23 am

Author Topic: Bird Question (Projectiles)  (Read 2159 times)  Share 

Lottie99

• Trailblazer
  • More stressed than I seem
  • Respect: 0
Bird Question (Projectiles)
« on: October 07, 2016, 02:19:40 pm »
Not sure how clear the photo is, but I just have no idea how I'd go about answering this question.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: Bird Question (Projectiles)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 05:35:47 pm »
Not sure how clear the photo is, but I just have no idea how I'd go about answering this question.
Sorry, that's way too tiny; can't read a word

Edit: Never mind, I probably can. But I have to retype it all out.

A stone is thrown so that it will hit a bird at the top of a pole. However, at the instant the stone is thrown, the bird flies away in a horizontal straight line at a speed of 10 m s-1. The stone reaches a height double that of the pole and, in its descent, touches the bird. Find the horizontal component of the velocity of the stone.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 05:41:08 pm by RuiAce »

edmododragon

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 05:43:58 pm »
Sorry, that's way too tiny; can't read a word

Edit: Never mind, I probably can. But I have to retype it all out.

A stone is thrown so that it will hit a bird at the top of a pole. However, at the instant the stone is thrown, the bird flies away in a horizontal straight line at a speed of 10 m s-1. The stone reaches a height double that of the pole and, in its descent, touches the bird. Find the horizontal component of the velocity of the stone.

Took a lot of zooming, squinting and couldn't make out the number but here:
A stone is thrown so that it will hit a bird in the top of a pole. However, at the instant the stone is thrown, the bird flies away in a horizontal straight line at a speed of 10(I think)ms^-1. The stone reaches a height double that of the pole and, in its descent, touches the bird. Find the horizontal component of the veolocity of the stone.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 05:59:35 pm »
I suspect the question may be missing some information, as this isn't the tidiest thing to handle. Hence I chose not to fully complete the question. I have set everything up so I will leave it to you to tidy everything up. Note that you are aiming to make Vcos(theta) the subject, but I believe that somehow you must remove Vsin(theta), and any method in doing so isn't immediately obvious. (Nor do I believe that d should be there)