Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:13:16 pm

Author Topic: Language Analysis (Section C) - Body Paragraphs  (Read 1065 times)  Share 

turtlebanana

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
Language Analysis (Section C) - Body Paragraphs
« on: October 14, 2019, 04:13:54 pm »
Is it okay to analyse the paragraphs in chronological order (for the body)? It is very straight-forward and doesn't require much planning.

Or would it be best to group body paragraphs by sub-ideas/sub-arguments? I find doing it this way is much more difficult.

I looked at some of the sample essays in the Checkpoints 2019 Analysing Argument Book and they structured the body paragraphs in chronological order (i.e. they start analysing at the beginning of the article and continue until the end) instead of grouping body paras according to sub-ideas/themes.
2018: Business Management [44]

yourfriendlyneighbourhoodghost

• Forum Obsessive
  • sleep now and dream, study now and live your dream
  • Respect: +34
Re: Language Analysis (Section C) - Body Paragraphs
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 08:37:32 am »
Is it okay to analyse the paragraphs in chronological order (for the body)? It is very straight-forward and doesn't require much planning.

Or would it be best to group body paragraphs by sub-ideas/sub-arguments? I find doing it this way is much more difficult.

I looked at some of the sample essays in the Checkpoints 2019 Analysing Argument Book and they structured the body paragraphs in chronological order (i.e. they start analysing at the beginning of the article and continue until the end) instead of grouping body paras according to sub-ideas/themes.

Well, usually, the article's chronological order is determined by their arguements. I would prefer doing it by arguement since it is arguement analysis and it would be easier for the examiners to see that you are able to identify arguments. But in saying that, the article will most likely be split into different arguements, most of the time going in chronological order.

For example...

"Mobile phones should not be in schools because they are harmful" 1. Arguement first paragraph

"They also serve as a distraction" 2nd arguement and second paragraph.

I hope this makes sense and I have not confused you further haha
2018: Studio Arts [37]
2019: English [38] Psychology [38] Vis Com [36] Software Development [40] Further Maths [35]
ATAR: 87.95 ❤️

2020-2023 Bachelor of Arts @ Unimelb

turtlebanana

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 01:03:19 pm »
Well, usually, the article's chronological order is determined by their arguements. I would prefer doing it by arguement since it is arguement analysis and it would be easier for the examiners to see that you are able to identify arguments. But in saying that, the article will most likely be split into different arguements, most of the time going in chronological order.

For example...

"Mobile phones should not be in schools because they are harmful" 1. Arguement first paragraph

"They also serve as a distraction" 2nd arguement and second paragraph.

I hope this makes sense and I have not confused you further haha

So would you start each of your body paragraphs by saying something such as ''[Author] argues...''...
And then insert language techniques after, which support that argument?

Also, with this approach, you have to jump back and fourth around the article to search for language techniques that support the argument, so don't you see it as more difficult?

For example, with the chronological approach, your first body paragraph is simple - you can just start off with ''[Author] opens his piece with...an anecdote/a rhetorical question/statistics (for example) and then just continue going along the article.

But then hm... now that i think about it. These language techniques are MEANT to support an argument/point of view made by the author. Which means you have to state the arguments that the author makes. So maybe it's best then to start off each body paragraphs with an argument made by the author.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 01:08:47 pm by turtlebanana »
2018: Business Management [44]

yourfriendlyneighbourhoodghost

• Forum Obsessive
  • sleep now and dream, study now and live your dream
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 08:30:38 am »
So would you start each of your body paragraphs by saying something such as ''[Author] argues...''...
And then insert language techniques after, which support that argument?

Also, with this approach, you have to jump back and fourth around the article to search for language techniques that support the argument, so don't you see it as more difficult?

For example, with the chronological approach, your first body paragraph is simple - you can just start off with ''[Author] opens his piece with...an anecdote/a rhetorical question/statistics (for example) and then just continue going along the article.

But then hm... now that i think about it. These language techniques are MEANT to support an argument/point of view made by the author. Which means you have to state the arguments that the author makes. So maybe it's best then to start off each body paragraphs with an argument made by the author.

Yeah, you usually will find all the techniques in that body paragraph or arguement. Yes, what I would do is your first example, but do whatever you feel comfortable with. 😊
2018: Studio Arts [37]
2019: English [38] Psychology [38] Vis Com [36] Software Development [40] Further Maths [35]
ATAR: 87.95 ❤️

2020-2023 Bachelor of Arts @ Unimelb