Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 12:37:48 pm

Author Topic: AOS-Discovery Essay  (Read 2327 times)

marioedd

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
AOS-Discovery Essay
« on: February 22, 2017, 06:11:50 pm »
Hi,
I was wondering in our discovery essay for our related texts do we need a line explaining and introducing the plot of our related text? Or can we assume the reader already knows the text.
Thanks

strawberriesarekewl

• Trailblazer
Re: AOS-Discovery Essay
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 07:08:38 pm »
+2
Hi,
I was wondering in our discovery essay for our related texts do we need a line explaining and introducing the plot of our related text? Or can we assume the reader already knows the text.
Thanks

I think you would need to assume that the know the text in this case

remember discovery is conceptual based so try to prevent retelling as much as possible

biancajuru

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 07:13:40 pm »
+3
    Hi,
    Thanks

Yes- but it should be rather brief and focus on how the text's synopsis represents the themes/ideas of discovery. Then as you construct your related's paragraph, you elaborate on how it represents discovery through various key events in the texts.

Example: The Pearl by Steinbeck

The Pearl scrutinises the fallibility of the human condition in Kino's discovery of The Pearl, evoking a deeper consideration on the destructive nature of humanity as Steinbeck transports his character from a stable setting to the dynamic natural world; allowing its restorative power to initiate change through confrontation and thus enlightened discoveries.... Then the rest of the paragraph would follow the formate
    - Kino’s discovery of the “Pearl of the World”--> questions of the essence of human nature and its destructiveness conveyed in the gradual degradation of Kino’s morality in his quest to protect material things above the consideration of morality/humanity.  Highlights the disorder and chaos that accompanies man’s ambitions to “rebel against the way things are”- highlighting the inherent fallibility of the human condition, marked in Kino “transfigure[ation]”from good, “trustworthy” man to violent and vengeful. Made aware by his wife
    - Employ of a master-servant dynamic through the story via his immersion into 'civilisation' (a new milieu through death)---> consider the impacts of power acquired through the pearl, as Kino embraces a persona identified with the “civilised world” of his colonial oppressors defined by “ignorance, cruelty, and sin”; conveying how power corrupts the individual. Emphasised in the ant metaphor (realisation)
    - Death of his son--> evokes a recognition that the narrator’s demise is his own doing, and thus total annihilation of the edifice of his existence must occur to be stripped from ignorance and mortal vices, enabling him to emerge with “power and promise”. 

Hope this helps :)[/list]
    2016 HSC: Advanced English (94/100), Extension 1 English (46/50), Mathematics (93/100), Legal Studies (93/100), Modern History (93/100), SOR II (94/100).

ATAR: 98.15

Currently studying a Bachelor of Commerce at Sydney Uni

I'm offering tutoring in all the above subjects (minus maths)! For more info PM me or click here! 😊

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
    • Honorary Moderator
    • ATAR Notes Legend
    • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
    • Respect: +970
    « Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 12:19:28 am »
    +3
      Example: The Pearl by Steinbeck

The Pearl scrutinises the fallibility of the human condition in Kino's discovery of The Pearl, evoking a deeper consideration on the destructive nature of humanity as Steinbeck transports his character from a stable setting to the dynamic natural world; allowing its restorative power to initiate change through confrontation and thus enlightened discoveries.... Then the rest of the paragraph would follow the formate

To me this is the perfect example of embedding the plot into your analysis. There's no gain from having a sentence on it's own that explains the plot. It is only useful to a marker if you are directly linking it to discovery or to your argument! [/list]
    Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

sageziman

• Adventurer
    « Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 02:45:31 pm »
    Hiiii

I was wondering what would be a good technique to conclude a speech?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
    • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
    • The lurker from the north.
    • Respect: +3108
    « Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 03:49:59 pm »

Hiiii

I was wondering what would be a good technique to conclude a speech?

You could also try some repetition, perhaps of something you said earlier, or I've always been a fan of anaphora at the end of a speech.

Rhetorical question is definitely a good choice too, if only a tad over used, be sure that if you use it, it isn't too cheesy! I made this mistake in Year 11 and paid for it, something like "So what do you think?", it was a little lame, ahaha!