Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:03:31 pm

Author Topic: Which do you prefer physics, biology, or chemistry  (Read 41744 times)  Share 

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
Which do you prefer physics, biology, or chemistry
« on: July 10, 2012, 12:06:49 am »
just curious to see who likes what and why, personal pros and cons for each subject etc.

im tossing up between physics and chem, might even add bio into the equation LOL, im not aiming to do anything related to any specific science (eg; medicine, chemical engineering, etc.) but for bachelor of science you should have a science (obviously), and i hate enviro science HAHAHS, so im curious to see which of the main 3 sciences you guys prefer

max payne

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +22
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: Which do you prefer physics, biology, or chemistry
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 12:53:17 am »
+1
physics because its the closest to maths and motion is alright...

Lasercookie

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +326
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 02:37:47 am »
physics because its the closest to maths and motion is alright...

Haha, I liked VCE Physics for everything except the calculations - they're fun at the start and the formulas/laws are neat - but you have to admit, most of the time in VCE Physics it's just "plug and chug" type questions, which by exam-time gets a bit old (there are a selection of interesting calculation questions that come your way though).

I liked the subject more so because it teaches the way we attempts to explain the behaviour of things in the world, which is quite interesting. For the most part, I preferred Unit 4 over Unit 3, I found that there was a lot more depth to the ideas there and there was stuff there that really made you think about things.

The textbooks are kind of dense, and they're a pretty poor source of information if you're using it solely, but in conjunction with a teacher to give you initial guidance in the right direction, other resources (mainly the internet) and spending quite a bit of time thinking about the theory the content is easy enough to wade through.

If the content doesn't catch your interest though, it'll probably be a great bore and struggle to get through.

Chemistry is also pretty good. I prefer how the exams for Chemistry are set out over the exams for Physics, and there's quite a lot of interesting questions you come across (well exam-style is changing next year, we'll have to see if Physics keeps its sectioned style or not).

I can't really think of much to say really. As you study the content, I found most of the ideas begin to become, to an extent, very natural to you (e.g. stuff like organic chemistry). There's also a lot of practicals to do, quite a lot more than you do in Physics, which is always fun. The content itself is quite well linked from Units 1 to 4, it continues to build off itself consistently, rather than being somewhat disjointed like Physics.

I can't comment on biology other than I really know very little about biology, the most I know about it (other than general knowledge stuff) is the stuff covered in Unit 3 chemistry about proteins, DNA etc. which I found quite interesting actually.

Phy124

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +464
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 02:42:14 am »
In terms of year 12; Physics because it involved maths and I didn't have to read much, unlike Chemistry (I didn't do Biology). It was mainly just interpreting questions and plugging in values \o/
Mathematical Methods | Physics | Chemistry | English | Business Management

2012-2017
Bachelor of Science in Applied Mathematics and Bachelor of Civil Engineering (Honours) @ Monash University

Current
Transport Modeller @ Arup

Kanon

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +68
  • School: Carwatha College P-12
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 03:17:30 am »
+7
Interesting you didn't include Psych :)

Personally I'm a Physics kid, its insight into the rest of the world is simply amazing.  If anything, Physics (as well as Methods) have really been the subjects that are most relatable in the outside world.  Cruisin wif da bois and being able to say, "oi kent, our velocity is tangent to this roundabout" is pretty amazing.

Chemistry, whilst is kinda the subject I was forced into.  All through my life my parents encouraged me to do sciences, so I did Physics + Chem as my dad told me they were the best sciences. My dad seems to have a vendetta against Psych and Bio for some reason.

So basically this image describes it for me :D
http://nulldot.net/2008/06/img/comic-purity.png
'12 - English | Methods | Chemistry | Physics | IT Applications | IT Software Development
'14 - Bachelor of Science (Mathematics) / Bachelor of Computer Science | Monash University

Need a website? I run a web design business!  The Summit Digital

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 06:43:31 pm »
+17

I believe we are discussing Sciences ;)

Anyway, Bio > Chem > Physics (real world), Chem > Bio > Physics (VCE subset)

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +275
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 07:39:05 pm »
+3
Chemistry, I think it's important to get a good grasp of it and it is a prerequisite for many courses. However, you can do fundamentals of chemistry (e.g. unimelb) in the bachelor of science, to catch up with those who have done vce chemistry, which I think is actually easier than VCE chem (from looking at their past exams). Biology might be useful (as there are always a lot of students in the bSC who struggle a bit with the first 5 or so weeks in uni biology). However, once again i'd say uni bio is way more easier (due to rote learning rather than applications, so you might want to just work harder at it in uni than others who have done bio before). Physics might be useful too (I haven't done physics personally, however I know the physics at unimelb this year wasn't organised too well), but I don't know if it would be harder to score in physics vs the other sciences.
2012-2014. BSc: Neuroscience. University of Melbourne.
2015-2018. Doctor of Optometry. University of Melbourne.

Unlikely to respond to any PMs these days.

DisaFear

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bravery is not a function of firepower
  • Respect: +154
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 07:42:20 pm »
+6
VCE: Chem > Physics > Bio
Uni: Chem = Physics > Bio

Uni Physics is certainly interesting, but hard on mortals like me
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 07:44:47 pm by DisaFear »

(AN chocolate) <tisaraiscool> Does it taste like b^3's brain?
BSc (Hons) @ Monash (Double major in Chemistry)

Jenny_2108

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 08:11:12 pm »
Chem = Bio, I dont do Physics.
Btw, why dont you mention about Maths which is incredibly interesting? Is it not a science subject?

anonymous1

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 08:19:58 pm »
BIOLOGY my personal favorite, I've always loved it
Then CHEMISTRY, i enjoy this subject too

HATED physics and psychology

TheFedExpress

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
  • School: Nagle College
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 08:24:43 pm »
Physics for sure.

Unit 3 was just maths and number punching which I didn't mind too much, but by then end I was over it.
So luckily Unit 4 is more conceptual with some interesting topics!

Haha, lol at the Psyhcology jibe! My mates always tell me Psych isn't a Science, I kind of agree, but don't let them know that!
2011: Psychology (46) P.E (46)
2012: English (47) Italian (29) Methods (36) Physics (39)
ATAR: 98.40

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 08:43:25 pm »

+1

Btw, why dont you mention about Maths which is incredibly interesting? Is it not a science subject?

a) its not a science subject
b) im doing spesh and methods anyway  ;D

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Sticky. :P
  • Respect: +467
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 09:03:17 pm »
Chemistry has definitely been my favourite science subject thus far in my schooling. I feel relatively neutral about Biology, Environmental Science, Physics and Psychology, but I don't like my Physics teacher this year which is affecting my opinion. :P
2017-2020: Doctor of Medicine - The University of Melbourne
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine - The University of Melbourne

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +305
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 09:27:25 pm »
Definitely chemistry which is probably my second favourite subject after literature, but I find biochemistry to be the most interesting part of that which branches off of molecular biology to a large extent.
University of Melbourne - Bachelor of Arts majoring in English, Economics and International Studies (2013 onwards)

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 09:30:22 pm »

I'd like to see you tell Glenn Melvin that :P

a) its not a science subject

yes it is, it's not arts, so pretty much it's science