Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:31:24 am

Poll

Should students have to wear uniforms to school?

Yes
12 (75%)
No
2 (12.5%)
Yes-but only a school shirt (the rest of the uniform should be students' choice)
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Should students have to wear uniforms to school?  (Read 1508 times)  Share 

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
Should students have to wear uniforms to school?
« on: November 04, 2018, 08:04:00 pm »
Do you think students have to wear uniforms at school? Yes or no?
and if so, to what degree?

What do you think?
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
Re: Should students have to wear uniforms to school?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 08:11:20 pm »
+3
Do you think students have to wear uniforms at school? Yes or no?
and if so, to what degree?

What do you think?
Yes I whole heartedly agree ! Uniforms all the way (minus the skirts)

School uniforms give a sense of community and identity to students. For students, it can provide a sense of pride and make them feel proud that they are part of something big.

Additionally, without uniforms, then people end up coming to school in very distasteful clothing at times. Furthermore, some people wear super expensive clothes to school and that adds a complicated dynamic to school. It just makes it a lot more easier :)

PS, In areas of socioeconomic disadvantage, I can see how people who can afford pricey clothes would get branded Nike and other stuff, while not so well off people wouldn't get so much of that nice stuff. I have seen this happen in the US where class divides can get really big.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 08:15:18 pm by EEEEEEP »

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 08:45:53 pm »
+7
For context, in year 7 and 8 I went to a public school that liked to pretend to be private, where I had to wear a dress in summer and a skirt in winter and had to wear it perfectly etc. In year 9 I moved to another public school where I was allowed to wear whatever uniform I wanted (it wasn't gendered), any time of the year I wanted, and when I had sport during the day I could wear the sport uniform all day (except I just wore it every day and no one challenged me lol). At the end of last year (pretty sure, the dates are getting a bit mixed up in my head, but I'm pretty sure it was the end of last year) my school changed to optional uniform, the uniform is still there, and some people wear it, but it's mostly free dress.

I think free dress is fine. There's a few points I want to make so I'm going to number them so I don't confuse myself haha

1. Uniforms create a sense of pride.
-I really don't think they do, for the most part. Absolutely for some people, but for the people who don't want to have pride in their school, they're going to wear it badly etc. and despite teacher's best efforts I've yet to see them successfully discipline someone over it.

2. They're uncomfy.
-They're either too cold, too hot, too itchy, etc. Why not just let people wear the clothes that are comfortable for them?

3. They make everyone the same/reduce bullying based on clothes, money,etc.
-People are always going to find something to bully people for. If it's not clothes then it'll be their makeup (or lack of), it'll be their hair, it'll be their books, or their food, etc.
Additionally, without uniforms, then people end up coming to school in very distasteful clothing at times. Furthermore, some people wear super expensive clothes to school and that adds a complicated dynamic to school. It just makes it a lot more easier :)

PS, In areas of socioeconomic disadvantage, I can see how people who can afford pricey clothes would get branded Nike and other stuff, while not so well off people wouldn't get so much of that nice stuff. I have seen this happen in the US where class divides can get really big.
As someone who has grown up without much money, uniforms are fucking expensive! The school branded jumper at both of my schools was around $40-$50 and don't forget the blazer they made us wear! that was $100! Anyone who says that wearing uniform evens out socioeconomic issues is just lying to themselves. I'm aware that there are government grants for such things (e.g. CSEF) but they're still bloody expensive, and the voucher for uniform you get with CSEF only covers one outfit and only for people entering year 7! The most expensive piece of clothing I owned before starting high school would have been about $10. I barely owned any new clothes at all until I was 11/12. So yes, it stops people from coming to school wearing clothes of vastly different value, but I promise you the low socioeconomic kids are just getting picked on for their poor condition, several times repaired, potentially ill-fitting (hand-me-down) uniforms instead.

Oops this turned into a rant, sorry

For sure, wearing free dress can seem harder, but I don't think it actually is. I also think this depends a bit on the school, one of the things I was worried about when my school changed to free dress was other people judging my clothes, I'm a very lazy efficient person. If it's clean, I'll wear it. Idgaf if it's "fashion" or whatever, but really it isn't that much of an issue.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 02:06:45 am »
+7
I support gender-neutral uniforms (e.g. choice in wearing skirt/shorts/etc) and a uniform in general.

It creates a level of equality among all students - the fact all have to wear the same uniform (colour scheme etc). Based on what i've seen to-date as a teacher when students are given the opportunity for a free dress (e.g. out of uniform day), there are a number who make some very questionable decisions re: their attire. While I somewhat agree with you Phoenix and have worked in schools where there are significant SES challenges (so I am aware of what you're talking about), I have to disagree with the notion that somehow casual/free dress is a better alternative. At least with uniforms there is a level of consistency... then when students get given the choice to wear whatever they want.. they'll get picked on for something else (e.g. target t-shirts instead of surfy brand t-shirts e.g. rip curl i know this is extremely petty but let me tell you this happens) or the quality of their casual t-shirts or shoes/shorts/other attire. At least we're achieving a level of consistency with a uniform that would otherwise not be possible with free dress. I too come from a low SES background/school and haven't had the same opportunities as most, but I can see the merits in a uniform as opposed to the alternative. As a teacher I see a lot of things students don't.

In most workplaces, you have to abide by their uniform guidelines. Whether you're a businessperson who has to wear business attire/suit/slacks or even somebody who works at Woolies who are made to wear those hideous checkered tops... it's all apart of preparing students. School is about future preparation, after all. :)

I think non-essential items such as a blazer should be made optional, but a consistent uniform where everybody can access it is beneficial not only for school pride but for understanding the requirements of work in the future.

There are many options available for those that struggle financially to purchase uniforms (e.g. chaplaincy uniform fund, schools relief etc).. obviously that alone isn't enough but there are schools out there that have uniforms that don't require non-essential items e.g. blazers and other items of that nature. I suppose its also about weighing up the commitment as well - like if I knew I couldn't afford to continuously buy a blazer every few years etc, then i'd question my decision to send my child to a school that enforces it. Especially in the public system where there are many schools that don't have a compulsory blazer... (speaking of all these rubbish charges - public education.. I saw a school that charges nearly 2 grand a year in essential ed items... yeah.. that's totally public.. shame. I just scratch my head when I see stuff like that, cos it goes against what public education is).

P.S - Those of you who wear casual clothes to work, kudos. Even I have to wear business attire and I absolutely hate it. I feel ya, students, but it's apart of life.

Can I just say probably the one thing that has annoyed me is the winter/summer uniform enforcement. Like jesus christ, if a student wants to wear slacks on a 40 degree day (don't recommend at all folks), then that really is the decision of the parent and student. Then they can learn the consequences of wearing such a winter-y item of clothing during summer. A learning experience... again.

p.s - I swear there's been a thread on this topic already
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 02:25:31 am by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile