Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:48:47 am

Author Topic: VCE English Question Thread  (Read 847412 times)  Share 

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +132
Re: VCE English Question Thread
« Reply #2595 on: September 14, 2020, 03:27:03 pm »
For a comparative when relating the argument back to contention at end of the paragraph what exactly do you say in the sentence?
My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #2596 on: September 14, 2020, 03:38:20 pm »
+7
For a comparative when relating the argument back to contention at end of the paragraph what exactly do you say in the sentence?
Your concluding statement should be a discovery. What have you learnt from what you've discussed in that paragraph? Don't make it a simple repetition of the topic sentence - the assessors already know that from the first sentence of your paragraph so repeating your topic sentence with slightly different wording won't help advance your essay. Doing that can make your writing and essay feel quite repetitive (I'm not saying you're doing this, I'm just saying to avoid this!) and circular, which is what you DON'T want. What you DO want is to conclude what the overall conclusion is from your paragraph. The best way to do this is to link it back to authorial intent - what are the authors trying to say about what you've talked about in your paragraph? This will make the assessor feel like they're going through a well-structured essay that is able to make relevant and apt links at the end of each paragraph that talks about what you've found after your discussion. For example, a paragraph could be talking about how characters take control of their own narratives and what this power entails. Your last sentence could say something like 'Both writers use storytelling as a means to liberate their characters from their one-dimensional portrays in history.' See how it's not a repetition of the topic sentence? Rather, it talks about the power of taking control of the narrative and what this means for the characters. Alternatively, you can make a sweeping views and values statement, which is a bit more authorial agenda-y.

Hope this helped!

EDIT: the example I provided was random and generic, obviously in an actual essay you might want to make it more specific to the texts/characters/themes that you've specifically discussed!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 03:45:47 pm by whys »
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
« Reply #2597 on: September 14, 2020, 06:15:54 pm »

The best way to do this is to link it back to authorial intent - what are the authors trying to say about what you've talked about in your paragraph? This will make the assessor feel like they're going through a well-structured essay that is able to make relevant and apt links at the end of each paragraph that talks about what you've found after your discussion.

What if I’ve already been doing throughout the essay? Is that bad structure?
My avatar sums up life.
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0

Annon4589

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2598 on: September 21, 2020, 03:56:51 pm »
Hey guys,

Since VCAA has stipulated that for section C we do not need to write comparatively, if multiple texts are given, does that mean we can focus on each text individually and still receive a 10, even though this approach may lack sophistication when compared to other students who compare effectively?

Much appreciated

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #2599 on: September 21, 2020, 05:24:18 pm »
+3
Hey guys,

Since VCAA has stipulated that for section C we do not need to write comparatively, if multiple texts are given, does that mean we can focus on each text individually and still receive a 10, even though this approach may lack sophistication when compared to other students who compare effectively?

Much appreciated
I believe so, but my personal opinion is that it might be harder to get that 10 if we don't compare. However, I'm not sure; don't take my word for it :)
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

rukayabal

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2600 on: September 26, 2020, 10:11:06 am »
+1
Hi all,
If I choose a quote prompt, and I forget to integrate one of the quotes in the essay, would I lose marks? I mean like a great amount of marks?

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
« Reply #2601 on: September 26, 2020, 03:08:58 pm »
Hi all,
If I choose a quote prompt, and I forget to integrate one of the quotes in the essay, would I lose marks? I mean like a great amount of marks?
To add to that question- are we meant to integrate quotes from such a prompt into the essay? In my trial exam I didn't...
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #2602 on: September 26, 2020, 04:17:22 pm »
+1
Hi all,
Not sure if you'd lose a 'great amount' of marks, but I'm certain you'd lose at least 1-2. Not integrating the quote could show the assessor that you don't fully understand the extent of the prompt (even if it was just a simple mistake of forgetting!), as the quotes often encompass some sort of answer to the prompt.

To add to that question- are we meant to integrate quotes from such a prompt into the essay? In my trial exam I didn't...
Yes, that is the purpose of including quotes as part of a prompt. It's okay, your trial exam is only for learning purposes so best that you forgot it now rather than in the real exam!
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
« Reply #2603 on: September 26, 2020, 05:02:12 pm »
How many trial exams is everyone’s school holding for English? We only have one and it’s the first week back. What’s scary is our schools SACs have never been one hour in length so what’s gonna happen to the kids who haven’t written since June? I think it’s a little mean.....not to mention teachers aren’t taking work this holidays!!!!

How has anyone here overcome teachers not reading work but still wanting to prepare for the exam?

They said we can prepare for exam next term but we go back to school 4 weeks before the exam and I have other  subjects. I know I’m being unreasonable but I think it would be nice for those who would like feedback now to be able to access a teacher :(
My avatar sums up life.

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
« Reply #2604 on: September 26, 2020, 06:20:21 pm »
+1
How many trial exams is everyone’s school holding for English? We only have one and it’s the first week back. What’s scary is our schools SACs have never been one hour in length so what’s gonna happen to the kids who haven’t written since June? I think it’s a little mean.....not to mention teachers aren’t taking work this holidays!!!!

How has anyone here overcome teachers not reading work but still wanting to prepare for the exam?

They said we can prepare for exam next term but we go back to school 4 weeks before the exam and I have other  subjects. I know I’m being unreasonable but I think it would be nice for those who would like feedback now to be able to access a teacher :(
My school's only holding one; I'm also doing ones of my own with my study group. You could try putting your work up on the work submissions and marking board here on AN? People would probably look at it, even though it's not the ideal situation, obviously.

Personally, I overcome it by simply writing stuff that just isn't marked. Not as good but still...
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her

Chocolatemilkshake

• MOTM: JAN 21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +371
« Reply #2605 on: September 26, 2020, 06:25:31 pm »
+2
Hi Elle just wanted to say I understand how you feel my teacher is not AT ALL prompt with returning essay feedback  :'(. I'd encourage you to reach out to previous teachers you've had in english (if you've had a good relationship with them) if that's allowed at your school. You can also exchange work with friends (I have an english "buddy" I have worked with this year and we exchange essays all the time which is beneficial for both of us and a fantastic way to get new ideas and perspectives on the texts. I'd encourage you to find someone at a similar level, it's amazing how helpful this is). You could also reach out to any past students (if you know any) who are good at english and are happy to mark some work. And there are ANers who are always happy to help too.

Overall, you can definitely still do it! Just try to keep up the motivation and maybe ease into study (making mind maps, light rereading/memorising quotes, writing plans, etc) before you go into writing full essays under strict time, hopefully this will increase your motivation and confidence as the exam nears (and be less daunting). And yes you have other subjects but english is a primary four so it's important that you prioritise it equally (I know how hard this is as a student who would pick 5 science exams over an english essay any day of the week aha).

I have one trial exam but I've already done it (we did it at home). Also don't be too worried about not having written a SAC under full time, as you practice and do your trial exam this won't disadvantage you. As long as you continue to work on timing over the next month and a half!
Good luck you've got this!!  8)
2021-2025: BMedSci/M.D @ Monash

a weaponized ikea chair

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #2606 on: September 29, 2020, 08:20:43 am »
What are VCAA rules on using archaic words? I could not really find anything on it.

I sometimes use words such as therein, whereunto, forbye.

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
« Reply #2607 on: September 29, 2020, 09:00:42 am »
+1
What are VCAA rules on using archaic words? I could not really find anything on it.

I sometimes use words such as therein, whereunto, forbye.
Dunno, but I use 'em too - I never heard a rule against it, if used correctly. ???
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her

angrybiscuit

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +204
« Reply #2608 on: September 29, 2020, 10:41:48 am »
+2
What are VCAA rules on using quotes with vulgar words? In a context where removing it is difficult? Should I avoid completely or use square brackets to alter it?
somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
carl sagan

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
« Reply #2609 on: September 29, 2020, 11:04:38 am »
What are VCAA rules on using quotes with vulgar words? In a context where removing it is difficult? Should I avoid completely or use square brackets to alter it?
It possibly depends on what the words are and what context they are in, but I'd advise the use of square brackets just in case.
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her