Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:02:35 am

Author Topic: WAM, GPA (4.0), HWA Calculator (MONASH)  (Read 23718 times)  Share 

b^3

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Overloading, just don't do it.
  • Respect: +631
  • School: Western Suburbs Area
  • School Grad Year: 2011
WAM, GPA (4.0), HWA Calculator (MONASH)
« on: February 15, 2012, 09:06:22 pm »
+21
Hey guys/girls.
I have another spreadsheet for you guys/girls. Originally it started out as a HWA (Honours Weighted Average) calculator for engineering, but I soon realised that I had the data to make it into a GPA (Grade Point Average) and WAM (Weighted Average Mark) calculator as well - attached at the bottom of this post (use the second attachement, its the updated one)

Now before you guys tell me this, I know that you can find your GPA and WAM through WES, but this can be used as a prediction for you as well as calculating HWA for ENG.

NOTE: THE GPA USED HERE IS THE 4.0 SYSTEM, FOR ENTRY INTO MED REFER TO - GPA for PostGraduate Medicine Explained

This GPA calculator can be used for anything that runs under the GPA 4.0 system.

Basically all you have to do is enter in the units that you have completed currently or going to complete along with the credit points and mark for that unit. From that it will create a link to the page in the handbook, and work out the unit number and the grade for the unit, and calculate your GPA, WAM and HWA for you. The years, semesters may also be changed around.

You may also hide a calculation if you don't want to use it (i.e. for most people the HWA calculation) but putting an "x" in the box next to the calculation bar.

Screenshot.

This spreadsheet may or may not be accurate depending on the circumstances. It does not account for "Near Pass"(es), "Withdrawn fails" or "Other grades". The calculation/prediction is not guaranteed, but should be close to precise as long as the system in place as of the 15/02/2012 is being used. Please refer to the information in the links inside the spreadsheet for calculations including those grades.

Also thanks to MyNameIsBob for testing the accuracy of the spreadsheet.

ENJOY :D

UPDATE HISTORY
 - Version 1.01 - FIXED colour matching problem with WAM in second attachement
 - Version 1.20 - Fixed slight bug in visual display
 - Version 2.0   - Fixed wrong WAM calc for second year units
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 08:19:58 pm by b^3 »
2012-2016: Aerospace Engineering/Science (Double Major in Applied Mathematics - Monash Uni)
TI-NSPIRE GUIDES: METH, SPESH

Co-Authored AtarNotes' Maths Study Guides

I'm starting to get too old for this... May be on here or irc from time to time.

taiga

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +588
Re: WAM, GPA (4.0), HWA-ENG Calculator (MONASH) - By b^3
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 09:14:16 pm »
+1
You sir, are a mad dawg.

This will be great for Eng students!
vce: english, methods, spesh, chemistry, physics, geography.

ex admin/mod/partner

2010: Melbourne High School (VCE)
2011 - 2016: Monash University BComm/BEng (Hons)

If you guys have any concerns/suggestions for making ATARNotes a better place, don't hesitate to PM me.

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 09:20:31 pm »
Not an engineering student, but this is impressive!

b^3

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 09:23:02 pm »
+2
Thanks guys, note that the WAM and the GPA will work for all courses at Monash or all courses based off the 4.0 GPA system.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 10:02:01 pm by b^3 »
2012-2016: Aerospace Engineering/Science (Double Major in Applied Mathematics - Monash Uni)

I'm starting to get too old for this... May be on here or irc from time to time.

b^3

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 09:36:18 pm »
I think there was a problem when I upped the file as a .rar, so I've upped it again as a .zip.

JinXi

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +90
  • School: Camberwell High School
  • School Grad Year: 2010
Re: WAM, GPA (4.0), HWA Calculator (MONASH) - By b^3
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 12:52:49 am »
This justifies a sticky =)
Monash B.Aero Eng/Sci Discontinued in Sem2 2012 [2011-2015]

"I will always choose a lazy person to do a difficult job… because, he will find an easy way to do it." ~ Bill Gates
^ SNORLAX, I chooosee You!!!

JinXi

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 01:00:37 am »
Would someone clarify this for me??

2.  Non-engineering units that form part of the structure of a single engineering degree program or that form part of the engineering component of a double degree program are counted in the calculation of the HWA

Source:
http://www.eng.monash.edu.au/current-students/download/hwa-cal-rules.pdf

Does that mean that if for my double degree of Aerospace Eng and Science, would a unit that isn't part of the engineering component AND isn't a pre-req to any of the engineering units, say Astronomy be counted in the HWA? Would that be considered as an "elective" and be counted in the HWA, or would it be counted as a unit for my Science degree, hence not being counted in the HWA??

Hope that some1 can help me clear this up. Would be shattered if Astronomy wasn't counted towards my HWA :( Many thanks ^^

"I will always choose a lazy person to do a difficult job… because, he will find an easy way to do it." ~ Bill Gates

twister286

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Monash
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 04:26:59 am »
+1

2.  Non-engineering units that form part of the structure of a single engineering degree program or that form part of the engineering component of a double degree program are counted in the calculation of the HWA

Source:

Does that mean that if for my double degree of Aerospace Eng and Science, would a unit that isn't part of the engineering component AND isn't a pre-req to any of the engineering units, say Astronomy be counted in the HWA? Would that be considered as an "elective" and be counted in the HWA, or would it be counted as a unit for my Science degree, hence not being counted in the HWA??

Hope that some1 can help me clear this up. Would be shattered if Astronomy wasn't counted towards my HWA :( Many thanks ^^

If you're doing a double-degree, unless a unit is explicitly mentioned in the unit outline as being required for the engineering component of the course, it wont count for the HWA.

For single degrees, some students need to take electives from other faculties (I know single degree mech eng need to do a bus-eco elective); these electives count at the same level in HWA as their "home faculty". So a first-year buseco unit taken in the 4th yr as an elective still counts as a Level-1 unit for the HWA.

b^3

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
Re: WAM, GPA (4.0), HWA Calculator (MONASH)
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 03:00:50 pm »

Source:

If you're doing a double-degree, unless a unit is explicitly mentioned in the unit outline as being required for the engineering component of the course, it wont count for the HWA.

For single degrees, some students need to take electives from other faculties (I know single degree mech eng need to do a bus-eco elective); these electives count at the same level in HWA as their "home faculty". So a first-year buseco unit taken in the 4th yr as an elective still counts as a Level-1 unit for the HWA.
Thanks for that twister286.

Just want to point out that for the spreadsheet/calculator, for those in double degrees the HWA calculation in the spreadsheet won't account for that, so you may need to make a copy of the spreadsheet, one with all your units inserted into the slots (for the WAM and GPA calculation) and one with just eng+special elective units inserted into the slots (for the HWA calc), leaving the other slots empty.

b^3

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 12:21:58 pm »
Found a small bug, it should be fixed now

- Version 1.20 - Fixed slight bug in visual display

Attachment updated at the bottom of the original post.

b^3

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 05:57:33 pm »
Found a small problem in calculating the WAM if you have done second year units in first year, will fix it soon.

b^3

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 08:21:45 pm »
+1
Ok I think I have the problem fixed, attached Version 2.0 in the first post.

JinXi

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2014, 11:16:53 am »
+1
Just wanna remind any new students (2014 Onwards) that the new requirements for Engineering Honours are as follows:

First Class Honours (HI)
Second Class Division A (HIIA)
Second Class Division B (HIIB)

Source: http://www.eng.monash.edu.au/current-students/students-commenced-from.html