Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 11:49:35 pm

Author Topic: Standard Math Q+A Thread  (Read 181966 times)  Share 

stephanieazzopardi

• HSC Lecturer
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +51
Re: General Math Q+A Thread
« Reply #225 on: February 16, 2017, 06:51:42 pm »
Hey!

I had a math test today, which i studied for, however there were so many questions which threw me off and since half yearlies are on its way, i was wondering if i could get any general tips and ways to study effectively for a maths exam, as i want to feel as confident as possible with the HY gen maths exam and not feel like crap after like today ahahah

Hi there!

Ok so basically there are multiple ways that you can approach your study for any General Math exam, although it's all about finding what works for you best! Are you doing lots of practice questions, or are you just staring at your textbook for hours? Are you putting yourself under exam conditions before the exam and completing a past paper within the 2.5 hours?

When studying for a General Math exam, I would sit myself in a quiet room, go through all the past papers I could find and highlight the questions I found were a little tricky at first glance (like I couldn't just do it in my head). You need to make sure you aren't studying in your comfort zone. You need to make sure you are pushing yourself out of your comfort zone and studying really tough questions so that when you get into the exam and are confronted with these questions that are designed to throw you under time/exam pressure, you will already have been exposed to similar questions. This will maximise your chance of getting the Band 6 questions correct. (Tip: usually trial HSC papers are a lot more tough than HSC papers, so make sure you are getting some of your practice questions from there!)

Another thing I liked to do as I was studying/completing practice questions for a Gen Math exam was to write out the formulas that I was required to use for each question and highlight them/made them obvious so that when I flicked back through my exercise book before the exam all the formulas grabbed my attention. This definitely helped me to remember the formulas and I barely had to flick back to the lengthy formula sheet which was great as it saved me so much time in the exam!

I hope this helps. At the end of the day, the best way to study for any Math exam is PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE until all the questions seem somewhat "easy".

Thank you and good luck! Please feel free to ask for help on any tough practice questions that you come by in preparation for your half yearly's  ;D
ATAR: 95.70
Bachelor of Applied Science (Speech Pathology) @ University of Sydney

emilybrooks99

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
General Math Q+A Thread
« Reply #226 on: February 19, 2017, 05:33:03 pm »
I'm not sure if I post questions on this thread or as a new topic thing like I did last time. I guess I'll just ask here and if I'm in the wrong spot let me know.
I'm having trouble with radical surveys. The worked example in my textbook only shows how to work it out if all the shapes are triangles. However the question I am doing at the moment (number 2a) looks like this
Can someone please talk me through how to work it out

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #227 on: February 19, 2017, 07:49:12 pm »
I'm not sure if I post questions on this thread or as a new topic thing like I did last time. I guess I'll just ask here and if I'm in the wrong spot let me know.
I'm having trouble with radical surveys. The worked example in my textbook only shows how to work it out if all the shapes are triangles. However the question I am doing at the moment (number 2a) looks like this (Image removed from quote.)

Hey Emily! I'll let our General Math lecturer Steph help you out when she next pops in, but definitely all good to post here! Or start a new topic - Both are totally fine ;D

stephanieazzopardi

• HSC Lecturer
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #228 on: February 20, 2017, 10:41:24 am »
I'm having trouble with radical surveys. The worked example in my textbook only shows how to work it out if all the shapes are triangles. However the question I am doing at the moment (number 2a) looks like this (Image removed from quote.)

Hi Emily!

Happy to help with this question. You can actually find step-by-step instructions on how to draw a scale diagram for a plane-table radial survey on pages 181-182 of your textbook.
Ok so I'll give you a run down of how I drew the scale diagram as shown in the images below.

So firstly you'll need a compass and a ruler.
  • You can use any scale you like. I forgot to place it on the diagram but I have used the scale 1 : 1000, which basically means every 1mm = 1000 mm which is 1 mm = 1 m. This is probably the best scale to use for all scale diagrams.
  • Draw a point P in the middle of page. 
  • From P, use your compass to measure 110˚ like the picture provided in the textbook. Place two points at 0 and 110 so you know the limits of the angle.
  • Using a ruler, measure 48 mm (4.8cm) from the point at 0˚ to P and measure 54mm (5.4cm) from the point at 110˚ to P.
  • Repeat the above steps for the rest of the radial survey until you have an image similar to the one in the textbook.
  • To find the perimeter of the survey, you need to join each of the vertices to make an enclosed area/shape. Then measure the lengths between the vertices in the correct scale. So for example, between A and B, I got a measurement of 8.3cm or 83 mm but because our scale 1:1000 I actually just wrote 83 m in consistency with our other measurements.
  • Repeat the above step for the rest of the area.

The rest should be self explanatory through the images of my working out as shown below.

Hope this helps  :)
ATAR: 95.70
Bachelor of Applied Science (Speech Pathology) @ University of Sydney

Droolv

• Adventurer
« Reply #229 on: March 04, 2017, 12:50:30 pm »

Hey all, can someone help with this question??

Thanks

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #230 on: March 04, 2017, 01:06:34 pm »
(Image removed from quote.)

Hey all, can someone help with this question??

Thanks

Hi there! So this is just a really tough question on areas of compound figures - We have to find the areas of all the smaller parts and use that to find the whole thing. In this case, we need to find the areas of the circles, and subtract them from the rectangle.

The rectangles area is just given by base times height;

Now we'll find the areas of the three circles. The area of a circle is \(A=\pi r^2\), but we are given the diameter of each circle (from one side of the circle to the other). So we need to cut that in half to get the radius to use in the formula. First, the big circle:

Now the two smaller ones are the same:

So the total area is the area of the rectangle, subtract the area of the circles (one big, two small):

Note we've just factorised by pulling out \(6x^2\) at the end there - A is the answer!! I hope that helps, let me know if any of it is a little confusing ;D

Snew

• Forum Regular
  • Class of 2017
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #231 on: March 16, 2017, 10:05:05 pm »
Hey!

I had a math test today, which i studied for, however there were so many questions which threw me off and since half yearlies are on its way, i was wondering if i could get any general tips and ways to study effectively for a maths exam, as i want to feel as confident as possible with the HY gen maths exam and not feel like crap after like today ahahah

Hey! I'm not an ATAR Notes legend or anything, but past papers are honestly the way to go, even if you get to a question that you're not sure of as it helps you to identify what specific knowledge you need for the question (financial, algebra etc) and you can seek specific help on that :) if you need some practice papers definitely use this website!! http://users.tpg.com.au/nanahcub/otherpapers.html heaps of past trial papers you can go through, I've found it's really helped :)
HSC 2017:

Studies of Religion I
Advanced English
General Mathematics
Biology
Modern History
Music I

ATAR Goal: 85+
Course Wanted: Bachelor of Nursing at UTS

damecj

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #232 on: March 25, 2017, 08:13:20 pm »
Just struggling with this question any help would be appreciated

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #233 on: March 25, 2017, 10:08:59 pm »
Just struggling with this question any help would be appreciated

This definitely looks like a tough one! Let's take a look at the bottom triangle, and see if we can get anything out.

Firstly, let's label the height of each telegraph pole (since they're the same!) 'h'. Now, we know that

Rearranging,

Great! So, both telegraph poles are height 20m. Now, we can use the sin rule to find AD. We know that

Solving for AD gives us

ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

damecj

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #234 on: March 26, 2017, 09:48:12 am »
This definitely looks like a tough one! Let's take a look at the bottom triangle, and see if we can get anything out.

Firstly, let's label the height of each telegraph pole (since they're the same!) 'h'. Now, we know that

Rearranging,

Great! So, both telegraph poles are height 20m. Now, we can use the sin rule to find AD. We know that

Solving for AD gives us

Awesome thanks heaps, was thinking had to do something like that just overcomplicated it.

sophroberts812

• Adventurer
« Reply #235 on: March 26, 2017, 10:54:04 am »
Hi guys, I always seem to get probability questions wrong so would someone be able to give any tips on how to understand the wording of questions (like the one below), or if there's a cheat way to always get the right answer? haha thank you!!!

oh and also the second probability question is something i never learnt because I was away in year 10 when it was taught and didn't do prelim general, so if you could also explain how to do these questions that'd be much appreciated!!  ;)

THANK YOU!!
Wanting to do the Bachelor of Nutrition and Dietetics at Wollongong Uni in 2018!!!!
ATAR aim --- 93.00

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #236 on: March 26, 2017, 11:13:33 am »
Hi guys, I always seem to get probability questions wrong so would someone be able to give any tips on how to understand the wording of questions (like the one below), or if there's a cheat way to always get the right answer? haha thank you!!!

oh and also the second probability question is something i never learnt because I was away in year 10 when it was taught and didn't do prelim general, so if you could also explain how to do these questions that'd be much appreciated!!  ;)

THANK YOU!!

Hey! Probability questions are always really tough, so to be honest my only advice is to do loads of practice. I did 4U maths, but still found this sort of probability really hard, particularly just understanding what the hell the question was actually asking. By doing loads of questions, and looking at the answers when you get stuck, you start to get a feel for when you should be using certain techniques.

Now, let's look at the first question. Clearly, the unknown value will be 12 (the total) - 4 (predicted success/actual failure) = 8 (predicted failure/actual failure).

Now, if a business is chosen at random, what is the probability that it succeeded? This is completely detached from the predictions, so we just look at the total business, and their actual failures/success. There are 50 total businesses, 38 of them succeeded, and 12 of them failed. So, the probabilities will be

Okay, now the last part is the most difficult. If she predicted success, what is the likely hood that the business actually succeeded?

Well, if she predicted success, 28 of them succeeded and 4 of them failed. So, the probability is just

As it will just be the number of successes, over the total number! That wasn't actually so bad, but understanding the table was tricky.

Now, let's look at the second question. Because the letter 'S' MUST be at the start, we ignore that fact (ie. there's a 100% probability that it starts with S, so we don't really care about the letter anymore). The rest of the digits (four) can be any of 10 numbers.

We think about this in steps. Ie. How many ways could we choose the first number? How many ways could we choose the second number? How many ways could we choose the third number? How many ways could we choose the fourth number? Then, we simply multiply them together to get the total ways.

Each time we choose a number, there will be 10 numbers to choose from. So, each of the steps will have 10 choices, and the answer will be D (10*10*10*10). Easy!

The question could have been a little more complicated, though. Let's say you couldn't repeat the same number twice (ie. If I chose a 3 the first time, I couldn't choose a 3 for any other number).

First, we would have 10 choices. Then, we would have 9 choices (as one cannot be reused, which is whatever we chose the first time). Then, we have 8 choices. Then, we have 7 choices. So, our answer would be 10*9*8*7. This is just an example of how these questions commonly work.

Hope all of this makes sense!
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

emilybrooks99

• Trailblazer
« Reply #237 on: March 27, 2017, 01:08:40 pm »
We've gotten our half yearly maths exams back and in the exam this one completely stumped me for some reason. Can anyone work me through how to get the answer? (which was C btw)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
General Math Q+A Thread
« Reply #238 on: March 27, 2017, 01:18:18 pm »

Note that the square then gets chucked into both terms to get what you want in C

emilybrooks99

• Trailblazer
« Reply #239 on: March 27, 2017, 01:32:08 pm »
Another question I got stuck with in my maths exam is this one below. Can anyone explain what the answer is and how to get it? thanks!