Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:56:09 am

Author Topic: Chem in bottom 2  (Read 1479 times)  Share 

TheEagle

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +12
Chem in bottom 2
« on: June 14, 2019, 01:41:29 am »
Hi everyone
So I’m planning on having chem as one of my bottom 2 subjects next year. I was wondering if anyone has done the same and how their journey went, while not ignoring the subject altogether. I want a 25 raw just in case I switch my course preference to biomed.

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
Re: Chem in bottom 2
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 08:29:33 am »
+7
Would not recommend deciding to leave a subject as a ‘bottom’ two preemptively. You seriously have enough time to achieve the best you can in all your subjects. In the case that one of your ‘top four’ subject’s exam goes badly, you can be content that you might get a better score in something you had initially planned as a bottom two but instead put effort in.
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

hums_student

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +520
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 11:23:09 am »
+1
Agree with what Lear said above. Even if you do want to separate out your 'top 4' and 'bottom 2' subjects, it's a bit too early for it right now. Your results in internal SACs (generally) won't accurately reflect how you would perform against the rest of the state, so it's hard to know for sure if chem will indeed be in your bottom 2.

I did the same thing last year with two of my subjects, and in hindsight I really regret it as I messed up an exam for one of my 'top 4s' and could've done a lot better had I put in more effort into my 'bottom 2'.

Don't make the same mistake I did ;)
2019-21: Bachelor of Arts (Politics & Int'l Relations / Economics)

TheEagle

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 04:27:04 pm »
Thank you Lear and hums. I definitely agree with you guys. May I ask what your thoughts are on beginning a 3/4 textbook like physics along with my current 3/4 subject which I’ll be sitting the exam on this year? The reason I’m eager about completing the physics syllabus ahead of next year is that physics 1/2 is barely relevant to 3/4 (big portion not going to appear in 3/4)

hums_student

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +520
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 10:13:05 pm »
+1
May I ask what your thoughts are on beginning a 3/4 textbook like physics along with my current 3/4 subject which I’ll be sitting the exam on this year? The reason I’m eager about completing the physics syllabus ahead of next year is that physics 1/2 is barely relevant to 3/4 (big portion not going to appear in 3/4)

I'm probably not the best person to be answering this as I've never done physics for VCE, but my thoughts are that it's definitely more recommended to make sure you have a firm foundation (i.e. Unit 1/2), especially if you're considering of going down that path in uni. However, if you are sure that 1/2 doesn't have much relevance to 3/4, and if you can balance the workload without your 1/2 grades slipping, then go for it. :)
2019-21: Bachelor of Arts (Politics & Int'l Relations / Economics)

TheEagle

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2019, 05:18:51 pm »
Thanks For The Response 😀👍🏼

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 05:17:19 pm »
+1
Would not recommend deciding to leave a subject as a ‘bottom’ two preemptively. You seriously have enough time to achieve the best you can in all your subjects. In the case that one of your ‘top four’ subject’s exam goes badly, you can be content that you might get a better score in something you had initially planned as a bottom two but instead put effort in.

Agree. What I thought would be my best subject (probably even after exams) ended up being my worst. It's really hard to predict!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.