Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:04:37 am

Author Topic: Physio Information & Question Thread  (Read 56392 times)  Share 

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
Re: Physio Information & Question Thread
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2019, 11:43:42 am »
+5
Hi!
What is the "research self-directed activity" in the Thursday afternoon time slot? What do you do in it? Also about the textbooks, which ones do you think are essential/recommended for physio students?
Thank you for starting this thread as it has been extremely helpful!

Research used to be an in person lecture when I was in first year then last year they just changed it to an online lecture that you do in your own time :) You learn about statistics and all that - perhaps not the most exciting but actually really important knowledge to have.

In terms of textbooks, the two most important ones to have are Brukner and Khan's Clinical Sports Medicine (this is your bible) and Moore's Clinically Oriented Anatomy. The rest you can get away with just borrowing from the library when you need them. :)

lilhoo

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2019, 05:16:05 pm »
Hi! Congrats on getting in :)

Yes, lectures are definitely recorded.
CBL (case based learning) is something you do weekly throughout the degree. On a Monday morning you'll get the opening to a case study and have to work through the questions provided with your group. By the end of the session you'll have worked out your "learning issues" for the week - basically what you need to cover more in depth to understand more about the case (the learning issues are usually thinks like pathophysiology, physio management of the condition, etc.). Everyone has to do one of these things, you submit it by Thursday night and then on Friday afternoon you do the case closure. You get given more info about the case, present your learning issue to your small group (just the key points, don't go reading the whole thing word for word haha) and then now you have a better understanding you work through more questions.

CBL will be explained in more depth to you by the unit coordinator and the tutors, so don't worry :)
I was also wondering where and when we would be able to access recorded lectures? My timetable is so packed that I can't fit a time to do my Vicroads driving text  :( so I'm planning to skip the three lectures on thursday labelled "PTY1011_PE_S1_ON-CAMPUS
PHYSIOTHERAPY 1", would that be alright?

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2019, 05:21:41 pm »
+3
I was also wondering where and when we would be able to access recorded lectures? My timetable is so packed that I can't fit a time to do my Vicroads driving text  :( so I'm planning to skip the three lectures on thursday labelled "PTY1011_PE_S1_ON-CAMPUS
PHYSIOTHERAPY 1", would that be alright?
Yeah that's probably the best day to do it because attendance at lectures isn't compulsory. They'll explain more about using Moodle and such at orientation but on your unit Moodle page there will be a link to echo/learning capture/whatever is used to host the lecture recordings - you just click on that and select the lecture you want to watch (based on date and time of its scheduling). Lecture recordings are available pretty much straight away

MrGenius

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2019, 10:21:53 am »
In terms of textbooks, the two most important ones to have are Brukner and Khan's Clinical Sports Medicine (this is your bible) and Moore's Clinically Oriented Anatomy. The rest you can get away with just borrowing from the library when you need them. :)

Would there be enough copies in the library for me to borrow especially in peak periods such as exam revision?

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2019, 10:58:46 am »
+4
Would there be enough copies in the library for me to borrow especially in peak periods such as exam revision?
Should be. If you're super concerned, just borrow them a week or two beforehand so that you have them before the rush. Otherwise (and I'm not sure if I've mentioned this), provided noone requests the specific book you have on loan, you can keep a book out on loan indefinitely. If no one has requested it, it'll just auto-renew, so there's nothing stopping you from borrowing some books at the start of semester and using them for the whole semester.

MiniMeTwo

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2020, 06:11:03 pm »
I would not recommend doing Physiotherapy at LaTrobe. The teaching is subpar, you will have do general health science subjects first year and there is no official physiotherapy society. I would stay away from Latrobe Physio at all cost and go to Monash's physio course instead.

ritosno

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2020, 01:28:42 pm »
Hi all, I have a few questions about studying physiotherapy in Australia.

Have any early offers ever been given out (anywhere in Australia) for an undergraduate physiotherapy course? I assume not as it's quota-managed, but have offers before the main offer round been made in the past for those who already have their ATARs?

Does anyone know the "best" physio university in Australia? I'm leaning towards UQ being my first choice, but that's just mostly due to the university's worldwide rankings. I'm curious as to the teaching at different unis though.

2020: IB Diploma Program (37/95.45) | HL: Biology, Chemistry, Economics | SL: English Language and Literature, Mathematics, French B

2021: Bachelor of Science (Physiotherapy)

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2020, 02:09:54 pm »
+4

Have any early offers ever been given out (anywhere in Australia) for an undergraduate physiotherapy course? I assume not as it's quota-managed, but have offers before the main offer round been made in the past for those who already have their ATARs?

Does anyone know the "best" physio university in Australia? I'm leaning towards UQ being my first choice, but that's just mostly due to the university's worldwide rankings. I'm curious as to the teaching at different unis though.
I am not too sure about early offers.

With regards to the "best" uni I don't think anyone can really say. For physio given it is a course which needs to fulfil professional accreditation and registration the universities basically teach the same things regardless of where you go. Some courses may be structured a little differently but in the end everyone is in the same position.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2020, 03:13:03 pm »
+3

Afaik there's not many places that do early offers. Some do conditional early offers (like La Trobe Uni through their Aspire program) but a lot of unis don't include physio in their early offer programs.

Sine is right in saying there's not a number one uni for the degree. Physio has really strict accreditation requirements so all courses across Australia are essentially the same - you have to learn the same stuff and do the same amount of placements. You'll have well known people in the teaching staff at all universities - often you'll find they've worked at several different unis. I'm biased because I go to Monash, but I've found the Monash course to be amazing and the teaching staff are fantastic.

IMO if wanting to study physio I wouldn't bother going off reputation of unis - it just doesn't matter which uni you go to and employers don't care. You're gonna get the same education wherever you go so might as well go somewhere that's convenient to get to and a place that you like.

ritosno

• Adventurer
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2020, 05:49:26 pm »
+1
Okay thanks for the information, I was only asking about early offers because I'm getting bored at home haha, guess I'll just have to be patient :P And I'm not eligible for La Trobe Aspire as I didn't study Year 12 in Australia :/

And it's interesting that all the universities are basically the same, guess I won't fuss too much about which one accepts me (if any do at all). Monash's case based learning system sounds super interesting, definitely different to the way other universities do it.
2020: IB Diploma Program (37/95.45) | HL: Biology, Chemistry, Economics | SL: English Language and Literature, Mathematics, French B

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2020, 08:47:39 pm »
Okay thanks for the information, I was only asking about early offers because I'm getting bored at home haha, guess I'll just have to be patient :P And I'm not eligible for La Trobe Aspire as I didn't study Year 12 in Australia :/

And it's interesting that all the universities are basically the same, guess I won't fuss too much about which one accepts me (if any do at all). Monash's case based learning system sounds super interesting, definitely different to the way other universities do it.
Yeah, if you're passionate about studying physio then you'll be pretty happy to be studying it anywhere haha. I guess one thing to consider is location - are you looking to move or do you want to stay close to where you live now. But that has nothing to do with the actual course :)

Yeah, CBL is interesting. When done well it can be a great learning opportunity and great way to apply knowledge (which is probably the most important thing, as you need to be able to apply your knowledge to real life when you go on placement).

ritosno

• Adventurer
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2020, 09:10:13 pm »
+1
are you looking to move or do you want to stay close to where you live now

I don't mind wherever tbh, I pretty much have to move out and stay where I'm studying in for 4 years (parents moving away) so again it depends on where I get accepted.

Yeah, CBL is interesting. When done well it can be a great learning opportunity and great way to apply knowledge (which is probably the most important thing, as you need to be able to apply your knowledge to real life when you go on placement).

Yeah I've heard that said about CBL too, though I've also heard a lot (mostly from med students who I guess do more CBL than physio students) about it being a pain when not done well.

ritosno

• Adventurer
« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2020, 03:15:00 pm »
So a few days ago I got an offer from Curtin University for the Bachelor of Science (Physiotherapy) course. Obviously I'm pretty psyched to already have an offer and am probably going to accept it (I have to accept it within 3 weeks) I just need to get a reply from the university as to what kind of offer it is. I'm still hoping for offers from universities a bit closer to me, but I'd be perfectly happy with going to Curtin.

So what do I do in the interim period of about 6 months? In a non-COVID time, I'd probably be trying to get a job or something like that, but that's probably not feasible right now. Is it recommended to start learning some anatomy now or anything along those lines? Because otherwise I'll just be bored for the next few months haha.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2020, 04:04:28 pm »
+2
So a few days ago I got an offer from Curtin University for the Bachelor of Science (Physiotherapy) course. Obviously I'm pretty psyched to already have an offer and am probably going to accept it (I have to accept it within 3 weeks) I just need to get a reply from the university as to what kind of offer it is. I'm still hoping for offers from universities a bit closer to me, but I'd be perfectly happy with going to Curtin.

So what do I do in the interim period of about 6 months? In a non-COVID time, I'd probably be trying to get a job or something like that, but that's probably not feasible right now. Is it recommended to start learning some anatomy now or anything along those lines? Because otherwise I'll just be bored for the next few months haha.
I mean, I'd definitely still try to get a job. Potentially more difficult atm but definitely not impossible!
You could do some pre-learning for your own interest but really there's no need to get stuck into stuff before the course starts. Better to wait until uni officially starts and you have some direction.