Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 06:19:28 am

Author Topic: The CASual Journey to the End | Ashmi's VCE journal アシュ  (Read 77937 times)

Chocolatemilkshake

• MOTM: JAN 21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +371
Re: The CASual Journey to the End | Ashmi's VCE journal アシュ
« Reply #195 on: April 30, 2020, 07:44:08 pm »
+4
As already said ^^ you've got this Ash! I totally understand how it feels right now, always sitting in the back of your mind, but it will get easier after a couple of days! As whys said, I'm sure you did better than you think (it's so easy to be super critical of your work) and getting a "bad" mark on one sac DOES NOT mean your english study score is doomed, plus remember this
Got my creative SAC mark the other day and it looks like 100%!
You're dedicated, a hard worker and I know it'll pay off in the end. Persistence is key and we believe in you!

Besides that, congrats on the methods result  8)
2021-2025: BMedSci/M.D @ Monash

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
« Reply #196 on: May 02, 2020, 08:24:12 am »
+3
(I'm so sorry guys I literally forgot this journal existed)

No, you will NOT kiss that 40 ss a goodbye. You will persevere, you CAN do this. It's never too late to improve. The people who truly fail are the ones who give up after their failures, not realising how close they were to success. Please, don't give up! I'm rooting for you :D
As long as you learn from your SAC and don't do it again, you will be fine on the exam. I know exactly how you feel - you KNOW you could have done better because you have done better, but you just can't reproduce it in the actual thing. But, do not lose hope! Do well on your other SACs and you most definitely can mitigate a 'bludge' SAC score. Also, I'm sure you didn't do as bad as you think, and even if you did, it's all a learning experience. Don't think too much of it. Everything I said was very hypocritical, but saying it made me realise how much time I wasted mourning a very poor English SAC score. Don't do the same! Find your mistakes, fix them, and move on. If it's not doing well on a SAC - why is this? Why could I not write an essay of the same quality as before - stress, mind blanks...? If you can identify it, you're halfway through fixing it. I believe in you ashmi, and I believe we can both do well in English if we put our mind to it. We CAN, so we WILL. I'll hold you up to that 40+ ;)
Love the Pingu reference, once again. I think I tangentially recall the specific episode when Pingu was angrily making that card...

Also, congratulations on that envious methods mark! It is definitely something you should celebrate at one point or another :)
Hey whys! (I'm coming to join your English boat too for the rest of the year. Please let me come on board)
First of all, thank you for liking the Pingu reference 🤣👌. Right now, I feel like I'm on Titanic and forced to kiss it goodbye but your wise words are giving me a sense of hope now. I think it was just a very bad day for me to do the SAC which makes me feel 100% worse cause it's something that would have been better on any other ordinary day. To top it all off, with the new study design changes, it's not looking too good but I will attempt to persevere!
Thank you for taking the time to right this up whys!

Plus it is just one SAC, so hopefully if we both don't screw up the others too much we will be okay :)

Don't let your english score bring down that awesome methods achievement (Can i please borrow your skills?). That's a fantastic mark, and you should 100% be proud of it.
Enjoy the upcoming weekend, and try not to be so hard on yourself.
Thank you geoo! ;D
I really hope I don't screw the others up too... (Yes you can take my methods skills any day🤣).

No. English will not bring you down. You CAN DO IT!!
In all seriousness, pleaseeeeeee dont let one score get you down - its so normal to have an 'off' day, and I think we all that with English! You will persevere and I'm totally sure you will achieve your goals in this subject - keep at it!!

And super congrats on that Methods score!! Yay!!
Gotta love physics and creative subjects after english ha ha - also that pingu reference is everything lol.

:D
Pingu is officially my life now and no one can tell me otherwise😂.
I think all my kinetic energy has transferred into gravitational potential energy right now and I'm hoping it all converts to KE so I can get that max velocity for English🤣. (As you can see Physics is taking over my life). I feel a lot better after hearing this so thank you very much Arty!

As already said ^^ you've got this Ash! I totally understand how it feels right now, always sitting in the back of your mind, but it will get easier after a couple of days! As whys said, I'm sure you did better than you think (it's so easy to be super critical of your work) and getting a "bad" mark on one sac DOES NOT mean your english study score is doomed, plus remember this You're dedicated, a hard worker and I know it'll pay off in the end. Persistence is key and we believe in you!

Besides that, congrats on the methods result  8)
Oh my lord Choco, I completely forgot that SAC score from the other term actually exists😂. (Thank the lords of creative writing)
I really want to think that I'm being super critical on my work, but after the first SAC I remember walking out feeling good while this SAC I've walked out feeling horrible
I really do hope one bad score doesn't mean I'm doomed, but with the idea of the new study design and how Unit 3 is worth so much more I'm having a few doubts now... :-\ :'(
Thank you Choco for taking the time to reply cause I feel a bit better now after the doom and gloom ;D.

ashmi

• Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
« Reply #197 on: May 08, 2020, 02:05:18 pm »
+9
✰Mini-Update: 8/05✰

If the world is made up of secrets... What does it mean to be truly right?

We are back with another update! How have we all been so far with nearly a month back into the remote schooling term?
Time to get onto the subject specific stuff!

✰Physics✰
Spoiler

Me enjoying Physics???? What miracle is this? :o
Oh boi it's you again! MY SAVIOUR! MUHAHAHAHAHA

So we are just finishing off fields right now and our SAC is quite soon so that means I'll be spamming practise questions like there is no tomorrow. I really like Physics and this is really one of the only subjects that I want to study no matter what the scenario is. I can't seem to get bored and there is so many things to learn about (like my lord Gauss and Biot-Savart laws are so cool yet they are not in the study design).

✰Chemistry✰
This subject has caused havoc in our cohort. On Monday, we had our Chem SAC and by the sounds of it, it was responded too 'weirdly' and maybe a little poorly. The teachers are not giving out the averages for once (which makes sense cause it can't be authenticated/moderated) so no one knows if things went good or bad. Either way, this electrolysis/redox sac went well and I'm sort of happy with the results. Could have been better but it's an improvement from the Fuels sac so I'll take it!

✰Methods✰
Methods. Hey bro. Thank you for not slaughtering me yet. Let's keep it this way for a little longer please?

I have another diagnostic test two weeks from now, and your girl here is terrified, but I know it should be alright! I'm really hoping for some challenging questions that make me want to rip my hair out and since it's going to be CAS active, I think my prayers might be answered.

I want to be pulverised in this subject just like Physics does to me because it's becoming quite problematic as I feel like I'm not being challenged enough? Like I'm never on edge and it's hard to make extended response questions for Methods in comparison to Physics?

On a plus side, I started making my final bound reference! My goal for this BR (as the same with Further) is to give me some company during the exam just in case I start panicking so I think the appropriate thing to do is drumroll please:

*drumroll*
Spoiler
ADD MEMES!

That's right, this bound reference is going to be MEMES WONDERLAND!
✰PDT✰
SAC soon. Theory galore. That's it. No sewing just yet!

✰English✰
I don't want my Argument Analysis sac to come. Stay away from me English, please let me enjoy text response in peace.

Spoiler
Personal Update:
Oh my lord where do I start here?

Oki doki let's start with my sewing/cosplay cause my lord, so much has happened. So I did a bit of reflecting on 2019, and I've just realised how far my sewing/crafting skills have really come. A lot of sewing happened last year and somehow someone from literally across the world saw my costumes and made an article so Ummm that's a first? Here!

So what does this mean? Well since I've been neglecting my cosplay train quite a bit during Year 12, it's time to get back onto it! Not too sure what I want to sew for myself yet but we have a few ideas below.
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

My goal before the end of this month, is to start on ONE of these costumes! (Please keep me accountable for this guys). I really want to get one done from start to finish this time as I always seem to give up halfway.

Also to add onto this personal update, I've started to look a bit more into future courses to study and with the BSci + Masters engineering combo at MelbUni, I'm also somewhat interested in their BSci + Masters Teaching combo? I don't really know why, but there is like a weird aura drawing me towards it. I've also started looking at different pathways and readjusting goals (cause I might be a tad bit unrealistic with my ATAR goal and my own abilities). That doesn't mean I'll stop aiming for that 96 (which would take a miracle). We are still roaring over here and I love a good challenge! ;D

I'm also pretty positive right now I definitely want to do something maths/science-related which makes things a bit easier.
So yep that's today's update! Thanks for reading if you got this far ;D
Also, I've attached my Methods Bound Ref for your amusement.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 03:39:12 pm by ashmi »

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +132
« Reply #198 on: May 08, 2020, 03:08:17 pm »
+4
I love your bound reference!!!! I wish I could use it for my methods sac in two weeks :( is yours coming up soon? Glad to hear the Chem sac went great! My teachers are also reluctant to release averages for some reason......I wonder what will happen with validation tasks.
My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #199 on: May 08, 2020, 03:35:40 pm »
+3
So we are just finishing off fields right now and our SAC is quite soon so that means I'll be spamming practise questions like there is no tomorrow. I really like Physics and this is really one of the only subjects that I want to study no matter what the scenario is. I can't seem to get bored and there is so many things to learn about (like my lord Gauss and Biot-Savart laws are so cool yet they are not in the study design).
Hey ashmi! It's great you're liking physics a lot :D. Physics to you is like bio to me right now haha. There's just so much interesting stuff to learn and it's impossible to be bored!

Either way, this electrolysis/redox sac went well and I'm sort of happy with the results. Could have been better but it's an improvement from the Fuels sac so I'll take it!
Congratulations! It's always a good feeling to know you've done well on a SAC.

Methods. Hey bro. Thank you for not slaughtering me yet. Let's keep it this way for a little longer please?
Haha. It's great you're enjoying methods! It is a pretty chill subject. 8) Also, memes in your bound reference? YES! Thanks for giving me that great idea - now my bound reference is going to become a meme fest.

I don't want my Argument Analysis sac to come. Stay away from me English, please let me enjoy text response in peace.
I'm the exact opposite! :D I hate text response and would take AA any day. But I mean I really don't like English in general anyway... so I'm one to talk...

Also to add onto this personal update, I've started to look a bit more into future courses to study and with the BSci + Masters engineering combo at MelbUni, I'm also somewhat interested in their BSci + Masters Teaching combo? I don't really know why, but there is like a weird aura drawing me towards it. I've also started looking at different pathways and readjusting goals (cause I might be a tad bit unrealistic with my ATAR goal and my own abilities). That doesn't mean I'll stop aiming for that 96 (which would take a miracle).
I love those costume ideas - can't wait to see what you end up making! And it's great you're becoming clearer regarding what you want to do in uni. I wholeheartedly believe in you! You can definitely achieve your ATAR goal if you put your mind to it.

Thanks for the awesome update, and have a great weekend!
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

ashmi

• Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
« Reply #200 on: May 08, 2020, 03:55:09 pm »
+3
I love your bound reference!!!! I wish I could use it for my methods sac in two weeks :( is yours coming up soon? Glad to hear the Chem sac went great! My teachers are also reluctant to release averages for some reason......I wonder what will happen with validation tasks.

Hey Coolgalbornin03Lo! ;D

Yeah I've got a few Methods tests coming soon, but the official SAC has been pushed back because of authentication reasons. I probably should say that my bound reference I attached is literally my WHOLE bound reference right now....😅(If you find that file useful by all means use it!). I might add more but I think that should be enough with the formula sheet! It's a bit hard to release scores out when they can't authenticate it so it's understandable.

Hey ashmi! It's great you're liking physics a lot :D. Physics to you is like bio to me right now haha. There's just so much interesting stuff to learn and it's impossible to be bored!
Congratulations! It's always a good feeling to know you've done well on a SAC.
Haha. It's great you're enjoying methods! It is a pretty chill subject. 8) Also, memes in your bound reference? YES! Thanks for giving me that great idea - now my bound reference is going to become a meme fest.
I'm the exact opposite! :D I hate text response and would take AA any day. But I mean I really don't like English in general anyway... so I'm one to talk...
I love those costume ideas - can't wait to see what you end up making! And it's great you're becoming clearer regarding what you want to do in uni. I wholeheartedly believe in you! You can definitely achieve your ATAR goal if you put your mind to it.

Thanks for the awesome update, and have a great weekend!
Hey hey whys!! ;D (OMG whys has replied again)

I'm so glad to hear that you are enjoying Bio!! Literally the best feeling when you like a subject and just cannot stop learning about it :D. Please come join the meme BR train! I would love to see some creative Bound References if you do make one (The memes are going to be the best bit). If there is one thing I can 100% agree with you on, it's that English is a big = NO.
I'm going to actually wash some spare fabric I have lying in the house tonight and hopefully get started on making some cool stuff soon! It's been a while since I've made something which isn't for school work so this will be a nice break.
🥺🥺🥺Thank you whys for your kind words and as you say, I will persevere!🤣👌
Have a nice weekend whys!

TigerMum

• Trendsetter
  • Master Procrastinator
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #201 on: May 08, 2020, 04:24:43 pm »
+4
omg it's an ashmi update!
✰Physics✰
Oh boi it's you again! MY SAVIOUR! MUHAHAHAHAHA

Awesome to see that you are destroying Fizix, you are going to do absolutely amazing in this subject! incoming 50 I reckon  ;D ;D
✰Methods✰
I want to be pulverised in this subject just like Physics does to me because it's becoming quite problematic as I feel like I'm not being challenged enough? Like I'm never on edge and it's hard to make extended response questions for Methods in comparison to Physics?

On a plus side, I started making my final bound reference! My goal for this BR (as the same with Further) is to give me some company during the exam just in case I start panicking so I think the appropriate thing to do is drumroll please:

*drumroll*
Spoiler
ADD MEMES!

That's right, this bound reference is going to be MEMES WONDERLAND!
I know what you mean about methods, I just want some stupidly hard questions to get me working because I worry that I may become complacent. And memes in your bound reference is quite interesting! over here having not even started my bound reference oops :o
Also I can agree that English is just a no, I'm so happy that I'm doing English Language, I find it sooo much more interesting.
Spoiler
Holy cow, your cosplay is ridiculously good! That's so awesome that you got onto a website, you really deserve it!  :)

Also, it's good you're continuing to explore your career options. Best of luck with whatever you choose to do, I believe in you!  :)

Thanks for the update and good luck for your upcoming SACs!

Chocolatemilkshake

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #202 on: May 08, 2020, 04:47:58 pm »
+3
Incredible ash! Wow wow wow, your cosplay ideas look amazing can't wait for them to come to life! I'm actually in love with your style. As a person who has been oblivious to cosplay pretty much my entire life, I love looking at your unique ideas and photos! So talented  ;D

Congrats on your chemistry sac!!!!  ;D Very well deserved as I know you have been putting a lot of work in (Is it combined with the fuels sac or separate ones for Unit 3)? 8)

Also, super cool that you know where you want to head with uni and have been doing some more research into courses. I look forward to seeing where you end up after high school, wherever it is I know it will be amazing!

incoming 50 I reckon  ;D ;D
YES YES! Couldn't agree more
Have an awesome weekend ashmi
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 05:01:41 pm by Chocolatemilkshake »

ashmi

• Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
« Reply #203 on: May 08, 2020, 08:02:11 pm »
+3
Awesome to see that you are destroying Fizix, you are going to do absolutely amazing in this subject! incoming 50 I reckon  ;D ;D
YES YES! Couldn't agree more
I don't know what planet or frame of reference you guys are looking from🤣
It would take a miracle to even get a 44 in FiZiXs, let along a 50 would be out of this world. You guys are the ones that will be getting 50s!

omg it's an ashmi update!
I know what you mean about methods, I just want some stupidly hard questions to get me working because I worry that I may become complacent. And memes in your bound reference is quite interesting! over here having not even started my bound reference oops :o
Spoiler
Holy cow, your cosplay is ridiculously good! That's so awesome that you got onto a website, you really deserve it!  :)

Also, it's good you're continuing to explore your career options. Best of luck with whatever you choose to do, I believe in you!  :)

Thanks for the update and good luck for your upcoming SACs!
You know things are good when TigerMum decides to reply
If there is one thing we share in common, it's that Methods needs to get some more hard questions! I am 100% devoted to having a bound reference full of memes this year. (Bruh I feel like you are the type of person to go into the Methods exam without a BR and still smash it. 1000% wiser than me lol).
Thank you for the kind words TigerMum🥺and I hope you have a great weekend!
Incredible ash! Wow wow wow, your cosplay ideas look amazing can't wait for them to come to life! I'm actually in love with your style. As a person who has been oblivious to cosplay pretty much my entire life, I love looking at your unique ideas and photos! So talented  ;D

Congrats on your chemistry sac!!!!  ;D Very well deserved as I know you have been putting a lot of work in (Is it combined with the fuels sac or separate ones for Unit 3)? 8)

Also, super cool that you know where you want to head with uni and have been doing some more research into courses. I look forward to seeing where you end up after high school, wherever it is I know it will be amazing!

Have an awesome weekend ashmi
UwU Choco has replied!🍫

I'm so glad to see you have learnt something new about the hidden cosplay culture! It's not something you see every day and thank you for the nice comments🥺🥺🥺. (Stay tuned to see some sewing action soon~)

For the Chem Redox/Electrolysis SAC, it's separate from the Fuels SAC (so think 2 different SACs ). I think this might have been one of the very first assessments where effort actually paid off?
I'm going to continue to look at more options for uni courses in the days to come and I'm quite intrigued to see where things go.
Thank you Choco for taking the time to reply and have a beautiful weekend!! ;D

ashmi

• Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
« Reply #204 on: May 24, 2020, 10:51:30 pm »
+11
✰Update: 24/05✰

Hey everyone! I'm back again for another update. (After quite a lengthy period of time).
I've sort of neglected this journal in the past few weeks due to a lot of stuff but YOLO here is the juicy subject specific stuff for you guys sitting around at home!

The song I've been addicted to this week Part 1

✰My sweetheart Physics✰
Hey beautiful. You are drop dead sexy you know that? No seriously quarantine must have done something to my head because no matter what we study for Physics, everything seems so appealing? I CANNOT get enough of this subject and I find myself subconsciously wanting to study this subject 24/7. It has gotten to the point where sometimes I will stay up late reading "Conceptual Physics" for no reason at all. I don't know what has happened to me in this year and if you have been reading my journal you would know I had a burning hatred to this subject last year...

Ok that aside, I had my Fields SAC 2 days ago. Did it go well? Hell yeah. Did I get full marks? Hell no. Am I going to try and get full marks in the next SAC on Induction? You betcha. *Stay tuned to see me fail at that goal miserably*. Ya girl here plans to run straight into the Physics room when school starts on Tuesday and experiment with EVERYTHING.

I don't know what is up with this subject, but oh lord I LOVE IT AND LET'S KEEP THIS TRAIN ROLLING!

✰Chemy boi✰
Yo it's Chem. Equilibrium, SAC, two weeks, hahaha this is going to be funny.
Even better, the Chem teachers want to put Redox into the Equilibrium SAC so that means more to study! (Oh someone please save me).
So yeah, the plan is to finish the short answer Qs from Checkpoints and get cracking on some other past exams.

✰CASY + Methods✰
So ummm I had a test for this on Thursday and it went well! Bless my CAS for looking after me as always and bless whoever made the extended response cause I could do a pack of questions off the bat with matrices. I would have loved to seen some harder extended response questions but I guess that will be waiting on me for the upcoming SAC soon.

✰Draw till you drop PDT✰
Literally as the name says. I've been drawing and trying to fight art block. My folio is due in less than 2 weeks to add onto the many problems, but everything should turn out well in the end!

I probably should also say, I had a SAC on Tuesday and my lord, I was super prepared and all, but one thing I was not prepared for was the fact is was out of 70 MARKS?!
Like yo 70 marks for ONE SAC. BOI I HAD A MINI HEART ATTACK. Other than that, it went really well and I'm quite keen to see where I can improve.

✰Eww English✰
Did badly on my A.A SAC and there is absolutely no recovering from that, especially with the new study design updates. Bye bye having a comeback in English and hello misery. Other than that, I'm still going to try my best for my other sacs and pray I don't ever get another off day again... I think everything is going to be ok in the end.

Spoiler
Here comes the raw stuff because I don't like to have a rose-coloured journal. You might get put off reading this so I urge you to turn back. This has been eating me up for a very long time and I think it might do me some good to write about it.

So for the past few weeks, I've been thinking, well maybe reflecting a tad bit and it's been really getting at me. I don't really know where to start so I'll probably start at last year. Further Maths.

To start us off on this story, I did Further 3/4 in Year 11. Lets just say I worked my butt off where I was having mental breakdowns left, right and centre. This was probably the only subject I've done in my life to date that I've truly understood inside and out, nothing like any of the other subjects I do now. So yeah, the teachers had high hopes and let's just say I became an absolute failure when the scores came out.

What has this resulted in? Nearly every Further teacher in the school ignoring my existence to the point where I would say 'good morning' they would just glare at me and continue walking off. Even better on Year 12 camp when they would downright refuse to talk to me. Like I get it. I understand that I'm a failure for not getting a 50 and that all my work means nothing. I understand that the 80 prac exams you gave me did nothing. I understand that the extra help you would give me during your lunch breaks and afterschool didn't pay off. I know I'm nothing more than a speck of dust. The only teacher that actually believed in me every step of the journey was my own Further teacher and without her, I would have broken down a long time ago🥺.

I think what really gets me the most out of all this is the fact I have no clue to this day where I went wrong. When people say 'you should do more prac exams', 'you weren't good enough', 'you should have tried harder' like what on earth am I meant to do? Was I suppose to be studying constantly in my life? Was I really suppose to have done over 120 prac exams? Was I suppose to be just 'fit enough' on the day of exams? I love getting feedback to help me grow as a learner, but when there is nothing to improve when I really did everything I could to give my best shot, why did I get such a low score? (I don't want a perfect score, I just want something that reflects effort)

To make it all worse, I love comparing myself, in a very unhealthy way. Take Physics for example, I don't get full marks in SACs and every time I don't I always constantly get flashbacks to my past self with Further literally working myself to death to get full marks. To top it all off, my mind sort of goes 'Well since you are not getting anywhere near the scores you got last year for your 3/4 you definitely won't ever get higher than 44' and that makes me snap. I know its not true logically, but somehow the voices in my mind refuse to listen >:( . I've trapped myself into a black hole, and there is definitely no way I'm getting out anytime soon. I have no confidence anymore, I've stopped a lot of my hobbies, gone into my own social insolation, daily emotional breakdowns one after another and thought about things I shouldn't be thinking about. I'm usually good at getting back up whenever I have problems, but this has been the first one where I can't seem to get back up no matter how much I try. Maybe at the end of the year, I might finally return to my old self...or fall deeper into this new persona I've created.

But yeah, that's where my mind has been for the past 6 months. It's just a game of the voices in my head.

OH LORD THAT WAS A LONG PASSAGE. I feel better writing that at least, that's a start.

If you got this far, this is what I've been jamming too in the past 24hrs (I absolutely love the lyrics)

See you guys in another update sometime in the future! :D
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 11:01:04 pm by ashmi »

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #205 on: May 24, 2020, 11:29:34 pm »
+8
Hello ashmi! I appreciate your willingness to expose some of your raw thoughts. I understand that you may not have been in a good place when receiving your further results because of your expectations and the expectations around you, and that even now it hurts. I'd like to give you a simple analogy - when you play any board game with the intention of winning, you will end up being arrogant if you win and jealous if you lose. That is the nature of board games - it is not really based on your talent, and there will always be a component of luck involved. If you go into the game without an intention to win, and simply play the game and do what you can, you will be indifferent to whether you win or lose because you went in with the intention to learn, not to win. In the same way, you may, of course, aim for a certain score, however expecting a 50 was extremely unfair on you. This is not because you didn't deserve it or could not achieve it, but because getting a 50 is simply not in your hands and there is always an element of luck. You could get a 50 on one exam, and on another you could get a 45. I'm sure you already know this, but I wanted to remind you that it is important to take it as an experience, rather than a marker of your knowledge. It's unfair that your teachers treat you that way - you should ignore them and not take that to heart. Instead, focus on yourself and keep doing what you do. You are a very intelligent person, and a mere score does not dictate your intelligence. Sometimes the outcome may not reflect the effort you put in, but this does not mean the effort you put in was not enough, or that the outcome given to you was one you deserved. You are not a failure, ashmi. Please do not give up, because oftentimes those that give up after a perceived loss were only a fingertip away from success. I am sure that in due course, you will regain your confidence. You shouldn't let this one 'disappointment' take over and prevent you from doing the things you love, because ultimately it is in your hands to decide what you consider a disappointment and what you don't.

I hope you have an awesome week back at school!
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

TigerMum

• Trendsetter
  • Master Procrastinator
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #206 on: May 24, 2020, 11:41:43 pm »
+8
✰Update: 24/05✰
Hey everyone! I'm back again for another update. (After quite a lengthy period of time).
Hey ashmi, great to see another update from you before we head back to school! :) Are you looking forward to the recommencement of classes on campus, or are there some things that you will miss? 
✰My sweetheart Physics✰
Awesome to see you are absolutely smashing Physics, isn't it so amazing when a subject doesn't feel like work at all! Keep it up, you are definitely going to reap the rewards!  :)

✰Draw till you drop PDT✰
Great job on your SAC, I'm sure you shredded that boi to pieces. Best of luck with your folio, I can't wait to see how it turns out!
Spoiler
First of all, props to you for sharing this, it takes guts to talk about these sorts of things. Next, I would like to assure you of something: you are NOT a failure and you are NOT useless, you are VALUED and you MATTER, regardless of whatever happens this year relative to your expectations. I know people say this all the time, but the ATAR does NOT define who are you, it does NOT determine your worth, it doesn't determine your intelligence nor does it define the effort you put into Year 12. You do not have to explain to anyone why you may not have received some scores that you were aiming for and you don't have to prove your worth to anyone.
In relation to what you said about comparing yourself, that's completely normal, I also have similar thoughts whenever I completely screw up an easy test or something. I think it's important to gain some perspective on these things, the grades that you get in some high school subject are ultimately not going to affect your life that much. I don't say this to discourage you from trying but just so you can understand that you do not have to put yourself through hell and back over school.
I am extremely confident that you will achieve your goals this year, whatever they may be, I'm more than happy to chat about anything and there are so many people here who will support you.

Look after yourself and best of luck for your return to school!  :D

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
« Reply #207 on: May 25, 2020, 12:18:28 am »
+7
Hey Ashmi!

It's sooo nice to finally get another update! Super happy that you're enjoying physics!, it's always great to have the one subject you love to bits, I feel the same way about chem! Maybe this is just the tech subjects, but food studies is the same, it's weird! When you say your portfolio needs to be handed in, does this mean your portfolio is finished for the year?

Spoiler
What you are going through right now is exactly the same as what my mind is currently putting me through. It always happens in the middle of the year, yay. I can 100% relate to comparing my past subject scores with my current ones. My SACs scores for some of my subjects are no where near as good as my SACs scores were for bio. I always think to myself, if I got a 38 in bio, putting in a ridiculous amount of time and energy into studying, and still ended up with THAT score, how in the world am I going to do with the current SACs scores I have been getting. I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone, as cliche as it sounds. I like to think that each subject has it's own ups and downs, and there can be many other influences in life that can affect how everything goes. For me, my health screwed me over on exam day, so I couldn't perform at my best, even after doing mountains of practice exams. You are doing amazing right now, and I know it is very easy to start thinking of the past and wonder why this or that happened (it doesn't help that your teachers are avoiding you, that's just unprofessional).
Try to just focus on what your doing now, and keep going at it, I know you'll do amazing at what ever you do! Your study score or your ATAR is just a snapshot of a period of time, and some of those moments in time don't always work out. Your performance last year isn't reflective of your performance this year, just keep doing the best you can and I know you'll get there. 
Have fun with your first week back!
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #208 on: May 25, 2020, 12:39:46 am »
+9
Re: Raw Thoughts
Spoiler
Adding to what whys, TigerMum and Geoo has already outlined I have always had the belief that scores within the mid-40s to 50 are quite interchangeable between students depending on how they felt on the day and whether they made those careless mistakes on the day or not. For FM this is enhanced given how tight it is at the top end. A lot of this is just luck.  For the most part, anyone who scores a 50 could easily have scored a 45 on another day. For somewhat subjective subjects like Biology (where the wording is really important) or English that variability could also have absolutely nothing to do with a student such as which assessors you got for your exam, how they were feeling when they marked the exam, exams they saw before yours etc

I know this won't magically fix how you are feeling at the moment but hopefully gives a different perspective. This isn't a totally unique situation to be in. From what I have seen in the past generally, time is the biggest factor for students to begin to either accept that they did everything they could given their circumstances or just tend to forget about these sort of things when they go onto life after high school where they have other things on their mind.

Chocolatemilkshake

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #209 on: May 25, 2020, 06:58:14 am »
+6
Hey Ash!
Thanks for the update :) As everyone else has already said...

Spoiler
You are not a failure. In fact, you are SO far from a failure. You are such a hard worker, and totally inspirational to me and many other people on AN. When I first found your journal I couldn't help thinking how cool and intelligent you were. I know people have already said it, but getting a 45-50 in Further is so much about tiny mistakes and luck. Compared to other subjects where you can lose a tonne of marks and still get 50, in further you literally have to full mark the exam. I understand that it's not a problem that you can fix with the snap of your fingers but keep working at it! You've got this and you can and will get through VCE. Try to pick up some of you hobbies again and give yourself a break from school too. 

Congrats on your physics and PDT sacs. Also, FOLIO due in two weeks, that's crazy but you are going to smash it.