Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:07:38 am

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 469774 times)  Share 

chocolate.cake.1

Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 11:10:36 pm »
 Hello  :)

I was wondering if someone could explain what the following terms actually mean?
I get the basic idea for most of them but I am struggling to put it into words...

- content limitations
- perceptual and cognitive distortions
- emotional awareness

The textbook tells me how vary in NWC and ASC, however it doesn't actually tell me what they mean.

Thanks

yearningforsimplicity

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Former ATARNotes HHD & Psych Lecturer & Author
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2015, 11:28:07 pm »
+4
Hello  :)

I was wondering if someone could explain what the following terms actually mean?
I get the basic idea for most of them but I am struggling to put it into words...

- content limitations
- perceptual and cognitive distortions
- emotional awareness

The textbook tells me how vary in NWC and ASC, however it doesn't actually tell me what they mean.

Thanks

Here are some very general definitions as to what each of those characteristics mean :) :-

Content limitations:
refers to the level of control that you have in being able to allow or block out what you pay attention to in your environment and what consequently enters (or does not enter) your consciousness. E.g. if thinking about a particular person or object triggers a traumatic memory, you can choose to kind of suppress that in NWC so it doesn't enter your conscious awareness. But you can't stop or "limit" that "content" from creeping its way into your head (in perhaps a more unsettling way) during an ASC (e.g. during sleep and dreams).

Perceptual and cognitive distortions: relates to your efficiency in being able to perceive things in your environment (including sensory perception, e.g. pain) and the extent to which your cognitions (your thoughts and memories) are clear and organised.

Emotional awareness: refers to your experience of feelings, emotions and being able to have some control over your emotional reactions in a situation.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 11:34:00 pm by yearningforsimplicity »
2011: English | Methods | Psychology | Health & Human Development | Legal Studies | Texts & Traditions
2012: B.A. (Psychology) @ UniMelb
2015-16: Master of Teaching (Secondary: Psychology/Health) @ UniMelb
2017- Teaching Psych & HHD :D

Happy to help out with; Health & HD(48), Psych(48), Qs about UniMelb Psych or MTeach courses :D

*Doing Health & Human Development in 2021?* :D
yearningforsimplicity's HHD 3&4 EXAM REVISION PACKS :)

Burt Macklin

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2015, 01:27:41 pm »
Why are short, complex, difficult tasks not usually affected by sleep deprivation?

scarletmoon

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2015, 03:13:47 pm »
Why are short, complex, difficult tasks not usually affected by sleep deprivation?

Because it is believed that sleep deprivation doesn't affect ability, it affects motivation
2016-2019 Bachelor of Science @ UoM

yearningforsimplicity

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2015, 09:47:41 pm »
+3

Usually controlled tasks (which can be more complex or generally complex for people attempting it for the first time) require a lot of conscious effort, attention and generally create more cognitive load for the individual. Because they are required to put in more effort for such tasks, they are more likely to pay attention and exert more effort into the task and not be impacted if they are sleep deprived. This might also be due to the controlled task being something novel (new) to them, so they might be more motivated/interested to see how things work and to succeed in the task.

If you compare that to getting someone to do an automatic task, which usually requires less conscious effort and less cognitive load (because it is presumed that the individual has already 'mastered' that task/action/behaviour), individuals who are sleep deprived may be more likely to 'slack off' as they are unmotivated to do well (probably because it's not a new or interesting task but rather just something ordinary that they do frequently/everyday).
2011: English | Methods | Psychology | Health & Human Development | Legal Studies | Texts & Traditions

Happy to help out with; Health & HD(48), Psych(48), Qs about UniMelb Psych or MTeach courses :D

chocolate.cake.1

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2015, 11:33:47 pm »
Hello :)

Does anyone know any advantages of qualitative data over quantitative data?

yearningforsimplicity

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2015, 12:55:05 pm »
+4

Does anyone know any advantages of qualitative data over quantitative data?

Qualitative data can be more descriptive and can give us a lot of insight into traits, qualities, or characteristics of some behaviour or aspect of psychology that we're exploring (e.g. personality). This means it can be very helpful for diagnosing mental disorders (e.g. through getting a patient to explain and report their symptoms) and conditions and can also help us to better understand the nature of a behaviour that is being studied.

Also, because you're not really standardising qualitative data (i.e. you're not running any statistical tests on it), you can gather and compile a rich source of data on particular individuals to gain insight into uncommon disorders/behaviours (this is often done in case study research where the behaviour/condition being studied is rare in the population).

There are also a number of issues surrounding qualitative research, e.g. social desirability (you construct responses to make yourself look like a 'good person'), misinterpretations of self-reports, difficult to run statistical testing and code responses to gather data for very large samples, etc :)

scarletmoon

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2015, 05:03:37 pm »
So does broca's area control articulation of speech and the understanding of human speech?

yearningforsimplicity

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2015, 09:22:36 pm »
+3
So does broca's area control articulation of speech and the understanding of human speech?

Broca's area is involved in the production, control and articulation of speech as well as speech fluency (so the words you say make sense and form a coherent sounding sentence so people can make meaning of what you say).

The wording "understanding of human speech" could be misinterpreted to refer to the Wernickes area, which is majorly involved in speech comprehension by helping US to understand the speech and language of others.

Just clearly indicate that the Broca's area is associated with speech fluency, which helps us to construct coherent and fluent language/speech so that other people can understand what WE are saying and so our speech doesn't sound like a meaningless jumble of words :)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 09:39:37 pm by yearningforsimplicity »

Rob16

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2015, 08:48:40 pm »
What are the key terms i should know in psychology? e.g. analyse, compare etc. Our teacher gave us a list that was very vague. Could someone please provide me with a list that is much more detailed e.g. analyse means to talk about advantages and disadvantages?

chocolate.cake.1

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2015, 08:11:05 pm »

I have a question about the sleep-wake cycle/circardian rhythm:

During adolescence is melatonin released at a later time (hence the reason adolescents fall asleep at a later time) or is less melatonin produced during adolescence which causes sleepiness at a later time?

scarletmoon

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2015, 08:45:35 pm »
+3
Melatonin is released 1-2 hours later

yearningforsimplicity

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2015, 08:49:50 pm »
+2

I have a question about the sleep-wake cycle/circardian rhythm:

During adolescence is melatonin released at a later time (hence the reason adolescents fall asleep at a later time) or is less melatonin produced during adolescence which causes sleepiness at a later time?

The Sleep-Wake Cycle shift in adolescence is due to biological/physiological changes associated with the hormone Melatonin (responsible for sleep onset) being released later in the night, which causes adolescents to 'feel sleepy' 1-2 hours later than younger children.

This also makes it difficult for adolescents to wake up earlier in the morning as their 'circardian/biological clock' (which is controlled by a region in the brain known as the Supachiasmatic Nucleus and works by detecting how light or dark it is) has been shifted 1-2 hours forward :)

Glasses

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Disclaimer: I wear contact lenses now.
  • Respect: +186
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2015, 10:26:40 pm »
+1
Hi guys! I'm struggling to get my head around association areas and the different association areas in the cerebral cortex lobes and was wondering if anyone would be able to elaborate and explain what association areas and the different ones in the four lobes are? - Sorry if this is a bit vague!! :)
2015 - 2016 (VCE): Psychology, Religion & Society, Legal Studies, Business Management, Literature and English
2017 - Present: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Arts (Criminology & Psychology) @ Monash University

Aug 2016 - Sep 2018: VIC State Moderator

kimmytaaa

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2015, 12:26:38 pm »
+1
Hi guys
when we are writing up a hypothesis, are we allow to write it like if we are writing an chemistry report? Cos my teacher said we have to use the hypothesis recipe which is a bit confusing to use sometimes do I still lose mark in the final exam if I use the normal hypothesis?