Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:53:40 am

Author Topic: WACE ATAR (Mathematic Application)  (Read 10303 times)  Share 

ATAR858

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
WACE ATAR (Mathematic Application)
« on: January 03, 2019, 06:24:10 am »
How badly scaled is Mathematic Application as a subject? And is it possible to get a ATAR 95+ with it ?

Side note: I am planning on pursuing medicine.

My subjects:

Human biology

Chemistry

Psychology

English

Mathematics Application

Scaling information regarding these other subjects are greatly appreciated too.

Thank You!

bettycrocker

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: WACE ATAR (Mathematic Application)
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 09:29:39 pm »
+4
I finished WACE this year and scaling differs from person to person from what I've seen. Generally speaking, (I didn't do apps) most of my friends who did apps didn't get scaled down too badly, only 3 or 4 % from memory. But there were one or two who were scaled and moderated down badly, maybe cause of their WACE exams. It is pretty likely you will get scaled down with apps, but it's hard to say by how much. Keep in mind moderation also.
It is definitely possible to get 95+ with your subjects, scaling won't ruin you if you are consistent from school to WACE exams and are generally a high performer. Also for chemistry, I got scaled up 3% despite doing much worse in the WACE exam compared to school marks so maybe chem was good this year. As for your other subjects, I don't think Hbio or pscyh will get scaled up based off what I saw this year. On a side note, you shouldn't be too fixated on scaling it's completely out of your control, it can vary year to year, and your school's performance matters also.

But just a heads up, I got into UWA's med pathway this year and both UWA and Curtin will need really, really competitive ATARs for medicine. For Curtin, even if they say a 95 ATAR cutoff is needed, realistically you will need much higher, probably 98+ to be competitive. With UWA a 99 is a must (assuming you're not rural or a broadway student). Good luck!