Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:48:27 am

Author Topic: COVID-19  (Read 46804 times)  Share 

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
Re: COVID-19
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2020, 12:57:36 pm »
+6
In terms of the world now there are 16.4 million confirmed cases and over 650,000 deaths.

In terms of Victoria, the biggest focus of today that I saw was that now elective surgeries (apart from category 1 and very urgent category 2) are being suspended in order to get medical staff into the private aged care facilities that have not been able to control the spread.

Just to clarify, I believe the elective surgery suspension is only happening in Metropolitan Melbourne and the Mitchell Shire, across public and private hospitals. Surgery is going ahead as planned in regional hospitals.

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2020, 04:10:24 pm »
+10
Going to be interesting how these new Stage 4 (Metro Melbourne + Mitchell Shire) and Stage 3 restrictions (Regional Victoria) play out and how well this will be enforced.

Hopefully the new restrictions will make a dent in positive case numbers after 2-3 weeks. 
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2020, 05:25:42 pm »
+7
Going to be interesting how these new Stage 4 (Metro Melbourne + Mitchell Shire) and Stage 3 restrictions (Regional Victoria) play out and how well this will be enforced.

Hopefully the new restrictions will make a dent in positive case numbers after 2-3 weeks. 
Definitely needed these new restrictions (although would've thought it was warranted a few weeks ago). However, whether the general public actually abides by the rules will be the biggest factor on whether we can drive the numbers down. If everyone follows the rules I think the 6 weeks will be enough.

The problem I had with stage 3 restrictions was that they were always talking about how you can only go out for "essential" things but then you have all these non-essential shops opened. Speaking to a few people who work in retail stores (which they thought were not essential but stayed open) they said they had heaps of people coming in and buying random unnecessary stuff just to "get out of the house".

What are everyone's opinions/thoughts on the new restrictions?

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2020, 05:55:52 pm »
+7
Definitely needed these new restrictions (although would've thought it was warranted a few weeks ago). However, whether the general public actually abides by the rules will be the biggest factor on whether we can drive the numbers down. If everyone follows the rules I think the 6 weeks will be enough.

The problem I had with stage 3 restrictions was that they were always talking about how you can only go out for "essential" things but then you have all these non-essential shops opened. Speaking to a few people who work in retail stores (which they thought were not essential but stayed open) they said they had heaps of people coming in and buying random unnecessary stuff just to "get out of the house".

What are everyone's opinions/thoughts on the new restrictions?
Quite happy with these restrictions (as a regional vic resident), I went to officeworks so i could get school supplies and there were SO MANY people just out and about! and on top of that i think I saw one person wearing a mask :/
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2020, 06:54:45 pm »
+6
This was a huge struggle for me. Working in retail, I have hated going in to work because I felt we weren't an essential business (because we're not) so it was very hard for me to serve people when the fact we were open in the first place was so fundamentally wrong to me.
It was really disheartening when my company came out and said they would only shut if the government forced them to. Even tonight they've said we're staying open until further details come out - why can't they just do the responsible thing and shut from now, given they know we'll be shut down over the next few days.

J_Rho

• Forum Leader
« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2020, 09:37:35 pm »
+4
Does anyone know the official rule about this??
My dad was in contact with someone that recently tested positive. I live in the same house, have no symptoms, can I go to school to collect my books and materials for online learning?

Obvs the ideal would be to isolate, but tomorrow is the only day I can get stuff from school so I'm stuck in between a rock and a hard place, if there is no rule about this.

I want to isolate but I need to collect textbooks and stuff out of my locker. Im trying to find if theres a rule for close contacts of close contacts but struggling
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 09:51:19 pm by J_Rho »
— VCE —

— University —

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2020, 09:59:02 pm »
+5
Does anyone know the official rule about this??
My dad was in contact with someone that recently tested positive. I live in the same house, have no symptoms, can I go to school to collect my books and materials for online learning?

Obvs the ideal would be to isolate, but tomorrow is the only day I can get stuff from school so I'm stuck in between a rock and a hard place, if there is no rule about this.

I want to isolate but I need to collect textbooks and stuff out of my locker. Im trying to find if theres a rule for close contacts of close contacts but struggling
Hope I can help - the official line is if you're two degrees (or more) removed from a positive case you don't have to self-isolate. If your dad tests positive then you will have to isolate until you get tested and return a negative result. But for now, if you don't have symptoms, you're ok to go to school and collect your books :)

Source: have spoken to the covid hotline & have read statements by the premier that address this

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2020, 03:01:58 am »
Unrelated to current announcements, but I think my neighbours have gone mad

Two nights ago, at 3 am, they started blasting club music. I thought I was hearing things, but one of my housemates came out and was like, "yeah no, I hear it, too". We then looked out back, and there was even a light show and we could hear multiple voices. Just as we finished reporting to the police, music turned off - they said they couldn't do anything because we couldn't confirm it was a mass gathering. THEN the neighbours did it again 15 minutes later

And now my sleep schedule is a bit screwy, if you couldn't tell by me posting at 3 in the morning 😏

J_Rho

• Forum Leader
« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2020, 06:57:42 am »
+1
Hope I can help - the official line is if you're two degrees (or more) removed from a positive case you don't have to self-isolate. If your dad tests positive then you will have to isolate until you get tested and return a negative result. But for now, if you don't have symptoms, you're ok to go to school and collect your books :)

Source: have spoken to the covid hotline & have read statements by the premier that address this
Thank you!!

Edit: Mum called the hotline and got a completely different answer! She got told that anyone (regardless if the are not showing symptoms) who lives with someone who had contact with a confirmed positive also needs to isolate.

Now time to work on my accio skills so i can some how collect all my stuff from school
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 07:27:22 am by J_Rho »
— VCE —

— University —

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2020, 10:11:29 am »
+1
Thank you!!

Edit: Mum called the hotline and got a completely different answer! She got told that anyone (regardless if the are not showing symptoms) who lives with someone who had contact with a confirmed positive also needs to isolate.

Now time to work on my accio skills so i can some how collect all my stuff from school
Hmm, how interesting! They must have updated their recommendations since I spoke to them (which was probably 2 weeks ago now, so understandable given the current circumstances). Good thing your mum called the hotline!
Are you able to get someone to do a contactless drop off to yours with your books? Otherwise I guess you'll have to wait to see if your dad returns a negative result.

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2020, 03:13:38 pm »
+1
EDIT: This post original contained a leak. See insanipi's post below for ACTUAL Government guidelines. Click the spoiler if you're interested in what was in the link, but make sure you understand that it is NOT the official word

Original Post

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2020, 05:26:04 pm »
+8
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2020, 06:16:10 pm »
+8
https://twitter.com/p_pappa/status/1290128400103792642?s=19

We have a leak. This is looking big
Yep, this isn't fully accurate. Eg: butchers and such are remaining open.

Definitely recommend people refer to the DHHS website to find out what is and isn't included in stage 4 shut down per insanipi's post :)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2020, 11:45:23 am »
+6
We aren't allowed to exercise anymore  :'(

If isolating.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2020, 12:24:54 pm »
+3
Yep, this isn't fully accurate. Eg: butchers and such are remaining open.

Definitely recommend people refer to the DHHS website to find out what is and isn't included in stage 4 shut down per insanipi's post :)

Yeah, I fell asleep before I could amend the post. Doing now