Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:08:01 pm

Author Topic: Academic results and employment  (Read 6019 times)  Share 

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
Academic results and employment
« on: January 25, 2020, 04:24:19 pm »
Do prospective employers care at all about your academic results, ATAR and whatnot? I can't exactly put "high-achiever" on my resume to get the attention of an employer, on the basis of the numbers VTAC sent me in the mail. And I've been rejected left, right and centre since I started applying for jobs, so there's that. And since school has been a significant part of my life for almost my entire life so far, I feel like it would be dishonest not to talk about it in my resume, in spite of all the failures and disappointment I experienced last year. University will be a fresh start, I know that, but for now, the most recent year of my academic career was not a particularly great one. I learnt a lot from it, though.
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
Re: Academic results and employment
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 04:35:01 pm »
+7
Academic results only really matter if it's relevant to the job, and high school results aren't ever really relevant, especially with the types of jobs you're likely applying for. If you want to talk about school I'd focus on soft skills like how high school helped you learn time management or resilience etc.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 09:25:45 pm »
+3
It would be dishonest to lie about it but it's not dishonest to not bring it up. If you're going for a tutoring position they'll expect to see your academic record of course, but there are many roles where it's not all that relevant.

jinaede1342

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 10:54:04 pm »
+1
Hi JR_studyed!

It’s great that you have a positive attitude surrounding your year 12 journey. Finding a job is hard and it appears that one needs experience to get a job, and, a job to get experience, so know that this can’t be attributed to one single number.

Whether or not you disclose results is a personal choice, but in general they’re never really asked for. I’d suggest that you try hand your resume to different places instead of online though. You’re more likely to be considered as a serious applicant by the employer as opposed to the typical ‘lodge-100-applications-and-hope-for-the-best’ approach that generally happens online.

Good luck!
VCE: | English [48] | Global Politics [44] | Biology [40] | Chemistry [36] | French [34] | Methods [32]
ATAR: 98.40
2020: Bachelor of Laws (honours)/ Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash

Selling Global Politics responses + English/Global feedback and essay correction: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=189680.0

Global Politics Tuition via Zoom - PM for details

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 12:00:15 am »
+3
Quote from: Bri MT
It would be dishonest to lie about it but it's not dishonest to not bring it up.
Exactly this. For roles that I have applied for, I mentioned relevant subjects only and didn't give them the entire academic record. If you have some great scores, mention them. Unless explicitly asked, I wouldn't be mentioning ATAR or giving them a whole academic transcript of any kind. Even if you scored high in another subject, i'd put that down because that shows commitment and dedication over that year for that subject and shows capability.

Also worth putting in some non-academic things if you've done anything e.g. leadership etc. too

For tutoring, if you're applying to tutor a specific subject then obviously you'll have to be able to claim something academic e.g. if you go for maths then a good score in maths is an assumed prerequisite... but for jobs e.g. retail or anything non-education based, refer to advice above.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 12:02:27 am by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 11:31:41 pm »
+6
EDIT: clearing up language

Your ATAR has ZERO impact on graduate job opportunities. I have hired tonnes of people and no one puts their atar. just make sure you SMASH uni but not at the cost of extra-curriculars/internships/relevant experience.

Only put your ATAR on your resume if you got 97+ otherwise leave it out. if someone asks you about it and its been years out, you might forget. a lot of my mates know theres roughly eg: "yeah mid 90's" but can't remember exact scores. no one will really care tho.

If you are applying for part-time jobs during uni, or internships, I would still leave it off the resume. If they ask about it - tell them, but you don't need to list it anywhere or bring it up unless explicitly asked
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 11:33:23 pm by spectroscopy »