Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:48:52 pm

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3570496 times)  Share 

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #9315 on: September 25, 2017, 09:20:27 pm »
+4
Hello!
For the question... Outline a disadvantage of selective breeding
Would this be a suitable answer: "selective breeding results in less variation in the population overtime which means they can't adapt to changes in the environment"
good response I would probably give you the mark but it would be better if you ended it with "which means this speicies is less likely to adapt to a selection pressure which would lower the chance of this species' survival"
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 09:22:40 pm by Sine »

Agentbarks

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #9316 on: September 27, 2017, 02:04:25 am »
Hey guys

Does light energy split water into its constitutents during the light dependent stage of photosynthesis?

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #9317 on: September 27, 2017, 07:19:40 am »
+1

Hey guys

Does light energy split water into its constitutents during the light dependent stage of photosynthesis?

Yes.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

ezferns

• Forum Regular
« Reply #9318 on: September 28, 2017, 05:48:22 pm »
Sorry to bother you guys again, but can someone please explain to me why the answer on the VCAA 2002 Exam 1 Q3 is C? Is this still on the study design? http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/exams/biology/biology12002.pdf

Also why is the answer on the VCAA 2003 Exam 1 Q11 B and not D?
http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/exams/biology/Biology12003.pdf

Is short answer Q2 on the VCAA 2002 Exam 1 still on the study design?
http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/exams/biology/biology22002.pdf

sweetcheeks

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +83
  • School: ---
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #9319 on: September 28, 2017, 06:00:02 pm »
+1
Sorry to bother you guys again, but can someone please explain to me why the answer on the VCAA 2002 Exam 1 Q3 is C? Is this still on the study design? http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/exams/biology/biology12002.pdf

Also why is the answer on the VCAA 2003 Exam 1 Q11 B and not D?
http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/exams/biology/Biology12003.pdf

Is short answer Q2 on the VCAA 2002 Exam 1 still on the study design?
http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/exams/biology/biology22002.pdf
Are you sure that the answer for your first question is C? D seems to be a much more plausible explanation, the stomata will be closed when the lead wilsts, therefore no there will be no intake of carbon dioxide

For your second question, look at the graph carefully. It shows the rate of carbon dioxide production. After point P, it increases again, when oxygen is present. The products of anaerobic respiration can be utilised. If the yeast cells were killed by the waste products, there shouldn't be any carbon dioxide produced, as they would be dead.

I am not 100% sure on your third question.

ezferns

• Forum Regular
« Reply #9320 on: September 28, 2017, 06:46:24 pm »
Are you sure that the answer for your first question is C? D seems to be a much more plausible explanation, the stomata will be closed when the lead wilsts, therefore no there will be no intake of carbon dioxide

Question 1:
Oh sorry I meant the answer for the first one is D, how come C isn't correct? Won't the wilting decrease the surface area?

For your second question, look at the graph carefully. It shows the rate of carbon dioxide production. After point P, it increases again, when oxygen is present. The products of anaerobic respiration can be utilised. If the yeast cells were killed by the waste products, there shouldn't be any carbon dioxide produced, as they would be dead.

Question 2:
Thankyou that makes sense!

sweetcheeks

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +83
  • School: ---
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #9321 on: September 28, 2017, 07:51:58 pm »
+1
Question 1:
Oh sorry I meant the answer for the first one is D, how come C isn't correct? Won't the wilting decrease the surface area?

Question 2:
Thankyou that makes sense!

I understand where you are coming from, that thought came into my head. Whilst there would be a decrease in light entering the leaves, it is for more likely that the reason for a reduction in photosynthesis is due to a reduced presence of carbon dioxide.

Primenumber32

• Adventurer
« Reply #9322 on: September 29, 2017, 03:04:33 pm »
I have some questions for the signal transduction process of lipid soluble molecules:

1- is the "transduction" part of lipid soluble hormones- the binding of the hormone-receptor complex to specific regulator site on  the targeted gene and acting as a transcription factor to activate the transcription of a specific gene?
2- how are lipid soluble hormones amplified if they don't use second messengers?
3- is the response of a lipid soluble hormone , faster or slower than the response of a water soluble hormone?
4- what are effector molecules (can i please have an example)?

Thanks to anyone who helps me out :)

LifeisaConstantStruggle

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +104
« Reply #9323 on: September 29, 2017, 03:11:44 pm »
+2
I have some questions for the signal transduction process of lipid soluble molecules:

1- is the "transduction" part of lipid soluble hormones- the binding of the hormone-receptor complex to specific regulator site on  the targeted gene and acting as a transcription factor to activate the transcription of a specific gene?
2- how are lipid soluble hormones amplified if they don't use second messengers?
3- is the response of a lipid soluble hormone , faster or slower than the response of a water soluble hormone?
4- what are effector molecules (can i please have an example)?

Thanks to anyone who helps me out :)

1) Yeh
2) There is actually no need for signal amplification in this case, as the lipid soluble molecule directly interferes with gene expression.
3) It depends on the hormone itself, and the rate in which it initiates signal transduction/a response isn't determined by the solubility of the hormone.
4) I'm not sure if it's the effector or the effector molecule that you're referring to. But effectors are related to signal transduction, they're the organs/cells that generate the response after signal transduction (eg. liver cells break down glycogen into glucose monomers when signal transduction by glucagon occurs, liver cells would be the effector, in this case)
2018-2020: Bachelor of Actuarial Science (+ Econometrics), Monash
2021: Bachelor of Commerce (Honours), Econometrics & Financial Mathematics, Monash
2022-2023: Work and some soul-searching

TheBigC

« Reply #9324 on: September 30, 2017, 10:43:42 pm »
First of all DNA profiling and DNA fingerprinting refers to the same process, and a simple (but okay) definition would just be "process of determining an individual's DNA characteristics, with a reference DNA sample obtained from the individual".
hmm.... I am not sure how lenient you are being when stating that they refer to the same 'process'..... I would just like to clarify that DNA profiling is NOT the same as DNA fingerprinting... these are two similar, but different things. DNA profiling is a more recent technique involving the use of STRs or microsatellites, however
 DNA fingerprinting involves the use of minisatellites (which are larger in terms of the NUMBER OF BASES per REPEAT than STRs and thus CAN be more INCONVENIENT to work with).

Agentbarks

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #9325 on: October 01, 2017, 01:59:17 am »
I’m struggling to understand why genetic drift is more pronounced in smaller populations, could someone explain?

Eric11267

• Trendsetter
  • Today three of my enemies I shall strike dead
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #9326 on: October 01, 2017, 10:30:39 am »
+4
I’m struggling to understand why genetic drift is more pronounced in smaller populations, could someone explain?

In smaller populations, each individual makes up a higher proportion of all the alleles than in larger populations. In large populations, chance events (such as an individual dying) don't really affect the allele frequency. In smaller populations however, the death of one individual can drastically change the allele frequency. Suppose I had a population in which  50% had genotype RR and the other 50% had genotype rr. In a population of 1000, if one individual were to die, the relative frequency would still be around 50/50. In a population of 2 however, if one individual were to die, then one of the genotypes just gets removed.
I hope this makes sense

Chloeic

• Adventurer
« Reply #9327 on: October 01, 2017, 11:07:37 am »
Does anyone know where I can find some lac operon Exam questions? It's such a specific dot point that wasn't in the old ad so idk where to look

rainbowsparkles15

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #9328 on: October 01, 2017, 01:19:38 pm »
+3
Does anyone know where I can find some lac operon Exam questions? It's such a specific dot point that wasn't in the old ad so idk where to look

Hey!
I've had a look online and can't find any papers that are solely based on the lac operon but bits and pieces of the following have relevant questions:
http://trishul.sci.gu.edu.au/courses/3011bbs/Questions.pdf

Question 19, 26, 29 and 30 https://highered.mheducation.com/sites/0073031208/student_view0/chapter16/multiple_choice.html

Question 1, 2, 11 http://global.oup.com/uk/orc/biosciences/molbiol/snape_biochemistry5e/student/mcqs/ch26/

Question 5, 6, 8, 28 http://highered.mheducation.com/sites/0072835125/student_view0/chapter14/multiple_choice_quiz.html

Good luck !
2017  Biology [42]

2018  English | Chemistry | Methods | Further | Accounting

Atlantis

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #9329 on: October 01, 2017, 02:44:41 pm »
+2
"Significant changes in life forms in Earth's geological history including the rise of multicellular organisms, animals on land, the first flowering plants and mammals"

for this dot point in the study design, what exactly is it that we're expected to know?
do we just need to know the eras (from the geological time scale) in which each of these things happen and then a description of sorts of what the organisms may have looked like/lived like??
“The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be kindled.”
― Plutarch