Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:10:44 pm

Author Topic: Equilibrium Position vs. Equilibrium Constant  (Read 1035 times)  Share 

turtlebanana

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
Equilibrium Position vs. Equilibrium Constant
« on: September 15, 2019, 10:19:28 pm »
What's the difference between them??

Equilibrium Position: The relative amounts of reactants and products at equilibrium

Equilibrium Constant: The value of the concentration fraction when equilibrium is reached (i.e. Qc = Kc)

I have these definitions here but am still confused. So Le Chatelier's principle applies only to the equilibrium position? Because the equilibrium constant only tells us information about the ratio of the concentration of reactants to products?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 10:21:24 pm by turtlebanana »
2018: Business Management [44]

PocketRishi

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Equilibrium Position vs. Equilibrium Constant
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 10:16:19 pm »
I'm no expert in this area, so take my response with a grain of salt

I think Le Chat would affect both the position and the constant, as any change to the system will be partially opposed but not completely opposed, so there will be some change to the system, and this will be reflected in both the position and the constant

Hope I made sense, sorry If my answer isnt what youre looking for

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
Re: Equilibrium Position vs. Equilibrium Constant
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 10:58:13 pm »
+1
I'm no expert in this area, so take my response with a grain of salt

I think Le Chat would affect both the position and the constant, as any change to the system will be partially opposed but not completely opposed, so there will be some change to the system, and this will be reflected in both the position and the constant

Hope I made sense, sorry If my answer isnt what youre looking for
This isn't quite right. While a change in temperature does change the equilibrium position and equlobirum constant, other changes such as a change in pressure may only change the equilibrium position and not the equilibrium constant.
This topic certainly is a bit tricky to wrap your head around (it was for me atleast) and it was discussed more in the main questions thread here https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=150600.8160
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point