Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:27:22 pm

Author Topic: 'Compulsory' course information session?  (Read 4537 times)  Share 

Cayteelin

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
  • School Grad Year: 2011
'Compulsory' course information session?
« on: January 18, 2012, 09:31:06 pm »
So in my offer letter from VTAC, it says I'm required to attend one for my course this Friday. It says it's to 'greatly assist in understanding the course rules and planning your enrolment'.

~ is it really necessary I go, as there seems to be enough 'compulsory' information sessions for my course during o-week? I've already done the online component of enrolling, aside from selecting units as it says 'Faculty to enrol VTAC students'. My course is Business Psych btw if that's relevant at all.

Thankyou!

grevenchorf

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
Re: 'Compulsory' course information session?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 10:03:57 pm »
So in my offer letter from VTAC, it says I'm required to attend one for my course this Friday. It says it's to 'greatly assist in understanding the course rules and planning your enrolment'.

~ is it really necessary I go, as there seems to be enough 'compulsory' information sessions for my course during o-week? I've already done the online component of enrolling, aside from selecting units as it says 'Faculty to enrol VTAC students'. My course is Business Psych btw if that's relevant at all.

Thankyou!

Nah, tbh they're a waste of time - all they teach you is how to use WES/my.monash. If you already know all about that, plus know how your course should look in terms of compulsory units, major/minor etc, you'll be fine. Make sure you inform the faculty you can't go though, just give them a ring and let them know :) Some are more fussy than others - the Law faculty almost had a heart attack when I told them I can't come to mine this year (even though I'm a second year Monash student and am like 700km from Melbourne right now...).

Cayteelin

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 10:11:02 pm »
@Grevenchorf - yeah, I figured as much. Really, how much information can they spill out that isn't going to be told during o-week sessions?
Oh wow, that's crazy! Well I'll make sure to ring them then, thanks for that :)

JinXi

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +90
  • School: Camberwell High School
  • School Grad Year: 2010
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 11:37:46 pm »
The engineering's course information session is a complete waste of time. The same holds true for most other faculties i would believe.
Monash B.Aero Eng/Sci Discontinued in Sem2 2012 [2011-2015]

"I will always choose a lazy person to do a difficult job… because, he will find an easy way to do it." ~ Bill Gates
^ SNORLAX, I chooosee You!!!

Devva[R]

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • ニャァァァァァァー
  • Respect: +8
  • School: West Side Schools
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 04:00:03 am »
Don't you need to get your photo taken/get ID card?
2012: Bachelor of Software Engineering(Maths Minor) IBL Stream @ Monash University, Clayton
2014: Internship
2015: Graduate!

robertnyan.com

grevenchorf

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 08:05:59 am »
Don't you need to get your photo taken/get ID card?

You can do that during O Week, I certainly wasn't the only one who did this aha. I hadn't even stepped foot on the campus until I moved over the day before O Week started last year and it was all peachy :)

Cayteelin

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 01:16:11 pm »
For anyone else who was wondering, I rang up the BusEco department today and they said it was fine that I was missing it. The guy on the phone was really helpful with unit selection, pointing me to this page with course maps: http://www.buseco.monash.edu.au/student/progression/index.html and showing me the recommended unit choices, etc.
He also said if I needed more information, I can just sit down with a course advisor on enrolment day and they'll go over any concerns with me. :)

DisaFear

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bravery is not a function of firepower
  • Respect: +154
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 01:20:38 pm »
How long does the session usually go for? (or does it vary per subject?)

(AN chocolate) <tisaraiscool> Does it taste like b^3's brain?
BSc (Hons) @ Monash (Double major in Chemistry)

aes_999

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +47
  • School: Melbourne High School
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 01:30:24 pm »
For anyone else who was wondering, I rang up the BusEco department today and they said it was fine that I was missing it. The guy on the phone was really helpful with unit selection, pointing me to this page with course maps: http://www.buseco.monash.edu.au/student/progression/index.html and showing me the recommended unit choices, etc.
He also said if I needed more information, I can just sit down with a course advisor on enrolment day and they'll go over any concerns with me. :)

Can I sit down with a course adviser on my course information day, which is tomorrow for business/economics?
B.Comm / B.Eco @ Monash 2012 - 2015

Research Assistant, Faculty of Business and Economics, Monash University

Cayteelin

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 02:17:32 pm »
+1

Can I sit down with a course adviser on my course information day, which is tomorrow for business/economics?

I'm not sure, all the guy told me was that you can get them on their own on enrolment day

gemgem49

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • no hesitation
  • Respect: +35
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 02:37:40 pm »
The info session for arts was useless, as I had already done my own research way before I even got accepted into my course in 2009. The info they did give was not as in depth as what I already knew. Same goes for study abroad sessions.
[ VCE 2008 ] Legal Studies 45 - English 39 - Biology 37 - History Revolutions 37 - Literature 24
ENTER: 92.80

[ 2009 - 2010 ] Arts (Global) at Monash University, Clayton.
[ 2011 ] went insane
[ 2012 ] Bachelor of Arts at Monash University, Clayton

grevenchorf

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 03:41:09 pm »
How long does the session usually go for? (or does it vary per subject?)

It varies, but no more than a couple of hours. Arts was like an hour, pretty much just "do whatever you want", but courses with compulsory units have a bit more detail in terms of what they tell you.

TrueTears

• TT
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 10:26:58 pm »

Thankyou!

Nah, tbh they're a waste of time - all they teach you is how to use WES/my.monash. If you already know all about that, plus know how your course should look in terms of compulsory units, major/minor etc, you'll be fine. Make sure you inform the faculty you can't go though, just give them a ring and let them know :) Some are more fussy than others - the Law faculty almost had a heart attack when I told them I can't come to mine this year (even though I'm a second year Monash student and am like 700km from Melbourne right now...).
^^^ this, these "compulsory" course info sessions are so useless
PhD @ MIT (Economics).

Interested in asset pricing, econometrics, and social choice theory.