Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:24:50 pm

Author Topic: Swinburne or Monash (Software Engineering)  (Read 2246 times)  Share 

BKmaps

• Adventurer
  • BK
  • Respect: +1
Swinburne or Monash (Software Engineering)
« on: December 10, 2019, 01:00:27 am »
Hey guys,

With the ATARs coming out in the next couple of days,  I’m faced with the dilemma in deciding between two universities. I’d like to do a Bachelor of Engineering with a major in Software (Professional) with Swinburne having the atar req of 85 and monash 92. While I’ve read comments that Swinburne is more personalised and practical with students diving into coding in the first semester (I think this is a great idea), I feel that while Monash is relatively theoretical in teaching, it is portrayed as the better uni against swinny. Both unis have a one year work placement in the last year of the course which I’m looking forward too, but I honestly don’t know which university to pick. If anybody has studied software engineering at these particular universities, feel free to tell me how your course went and what made you choose that university.

Thanks people.
englinguistics 36
mysoftdev 43
methhead 35
speshal kids 29
chemotherapy 30
physically hard 31

atar 92.75 somehow
2019 rox

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: Swinburne or Monash (Software Engineering)
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 11:19:25 pm »
+1
but I honestly don’t know which university to pick.
Pick the university that you think you'll like better. Some other things to consider:
- course structure
- convenience
- social atmosphere and campus facilities
- employability and work experience (which it seems you know a bit about)
- prestige - but only to a small extent (it doesn't affect much AFAIK in your case, once you have work experience)

If anybody has studied software engineering at these particular universities, feel free to tell me how your course went and what made you choose that university.
I think we have some software engineering subject reviews for Monash, so hopefully that'll help a bit. They're located here and the subjects for Software Eng at Monash are listed here.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread