Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:15:07 pm

Author Topic: Subject changes  (Read 735 times)  Share 

Nikolina...

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Subject changes
« on: June 24, 2022, 11:38:32 pm »
How important is maths for getting into university?
I'm currently in year 11 doing general maths and find it Boring. I'm also doing very average in the subject and feel as though I could be doing something else like business or sociology which I feel Id be better at. I would like to do something within the field of law, business or media. If I drop maths this year will I regret it in the future?

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: Subject changes
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2022, 11:27:34 am »
+1
It depends on where you want to go in the future.

Some business courses require some form of Year 12 maths, and some don’t. If you want to study business at RMIT, then you only need a raw 25 SS in your English subject and a 70+ ATAR, so no maths. If you want to study business at say, Monash Uni, then Further is a prerequisite, which means, if you don’t take it (or a bridging course/ equivalent) you won’t get into that course by default. If you want to cast the net wider and study commerce (which is in the same vein as business), commerce often requires a maths subject, especially Methods or Spesh, particularly if you’re thinking of studying at Monash or Melbourne Unis.

If you want to study law or media, majority of these don’t require maths at all.

On top of these, subject bonuses/ middle band subjects (additional points when unis consider who to give offers to) are often given to those who took any sort of maths particularly in business courses, so if you’d like a tiny leg up, that could help.

You can usually check out VTAC CourseSearch for course prerequisites and subject bonuses, though Melbourne and Monash Uni courses are currently not included there (though they usually do closer to August) and will have to be checked separately.

Summary: Probably best to have maths if you’re quite interested in business (or commerce) for the best chances at all possible institutes.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 11:35:32 am by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread