Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:58:42 pm

Author Topic: Desperate for advice  (Read 1285 times)  Share 

WhatisaMeMe

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +10
Desperate for advice
« on: December 19, 2021, 09:50:01 pm »
Hey I just finished year 12 and got an atar of 97.5 and looking to do law and science but not too sure. Originally i wanted to try for post-graduate medicine but after research and recommendations saying that if I dont get into post-grad med upon completing Science at Monash then im screwed (do you believe this is true?) So Do you believe law and science is a wiser decision because if I dont get into med I still have a law degree. Also, is this double degree very stressful and make it more difficult to maintain a high enough GPA/WAM to get into post-grad med? Thanks very much

ATAR:Hopefully 95+

vehura

• Trailblazer
  • she/her
  • Respect: +33
Re: Desperate for advice
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2021, 10:26:10 pm »
+4
Hey!

First of all, congratulations on your amazing ATAR! That's definitely an achievement to be proud of. :)

I've only just graduated year 12 myself, so take this with a grain of salt, but you have a few options to take note of. First of all, it's true that the general consensus is that doing a biomed or science degree is quite limiting in terms of job options post graduation. If you are interested in scientific research, then that is a potential option for you if you choose to do a science/biomed degree, but there isn't much else. To be frank, there is quite a slim chance anyone will get into postgrad med, in terms of applicants vs places, so people who do these degrees who tend to bank all their chances on getting into postgrad often get stuck, and end up doing honours/masters.

The question you need to ask yourself is: do you find law interesting? Can you see yourself working in law in the future? If you can, then it seems like a possible option. If you find it interesting, then it will be easier to maintain a higher GPA as you will actually want to study it.  The other thing to consider if you are interested in working in medical areas is that you can also choose to do physiotherapy or pharmacy at Monash, which are only 4 years instead of law/science 5 years, still be considered for postgrad med, and get to work in these areas after graduation if you don't get in.

So, to answer your questions: you're not entirely screwed, dependent on what you want to do after your bachelors, and the degree is likely more stressful than non-double degrees only because its condensing two degrees into a shorter time. But if you are passionate about science and/or law, and can see yourself working in law if postgrad med doesn't work out, then it sounds like a great option to me.
class of 2021
2020: psych (50)
2021: eng (50) lit (47)

Billuminati

• Science Games: Gold
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +127
Re: Desperate for advice
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2021, 01:06:22 am »
+1
Hey I just finished year 12 and got an atar of 97.5 and looking to do law and science but not too sure. Originally i wanted to try for post-graduate medicine but after research and recommendations saying that if I dont get into post-grad med upon completing Science at Monash then im screwed (do you believe this is true?) So Do you believe law and science is a wiser decision because if I dont get into med I still have a law degree. Also, is this double degree very stressful and make it more difficult to maintain a high enough GPA/WAM to get into post-grad med? Thanks very much

You are right to be concerned about WAM and GPA maintenance in law, because law units are curved down so only a certain percentage of people get HDs. In addition, the government under the Job ready graduates initiative thinks law degrees aren’t employable due to the saturation, and they are increasing uni fees for law.

Science is pretty good for WAM and GPA maintenance because their version of the biomed units are generally easier (am a biomedder myself). The GPA is more useful for applying outside Monash (you need a good GAMSAT score for all unis other than Monash), you should be getting all 80+ for a 7.0 GPA.
VCE 2016-2018

2017: Biology [38], Further Maths [44]

2018: Methods [37], French [38], Chem [40], English [44]

UMAT: 56/43/80, 57th percentile (LLLLOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLL)

ATAR: 98.1

2019-2021: Bachelor of Biomedical Science at Monash (Scholars), minoring in Chemistry

GAMSAT September 2021: 65/67/86, 76 overall (98th percentile)

2022: Chilling

2023+: Transfer to teaching degree