Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 11:00:39 am

Author Topic: Biomed scholars program  (Read 1440 times)  Share 

Golgi Apparatus

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
Biomed scholars program
« on: December 18, 2021, 12:15:17 pm »
Hi,
Has anyone done this course? If so, what is it like? What are the benefits compared to normal biomed?
VCE
2020: Biology
2021: Chemistry | English Language | Further | Methods | Psychology

2022: Bachelor of Biomedicine (UoM)

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Biomed scholars program
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2021, 02:16:21 pm »
+3
Hi,
Has anyone done this course? If so, what is it like? What are the benefits compared to normal biomed?
I think they recently added a scholarship to the scholar's program at Monash.
The scholar's program also has more networking opportunities and events that are solely only for those in the scholar's stream of Biomed. The course is basically the same but you need to do a 3990 research project unit during some point of your degree.

Golgi Apparatus

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2021, 03:40:15 pm »
Thanks Sine!
I’m also thinking about Melbourne biomed because it’s easier to get to get to and I prefer the feel of Melbourne. I know these questions are hard to answer, but do you think the advantages of the scholars program are enough to outweigh these disadvantages of going to Monash?
Also, do you know if Monash has connections with many external research institutes that might have opportunities for students? I know Melbourne has lots of connections because they’re in the biomedical precinct, but I’m not sure about Monash.
VCE

Billuminati

• Science Games: Gold
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +127
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2021, 04:07:48 pm »
+1
Thanks Sine!
I’m also thinking about Melbourne biomed because it’s easier to get to get to and I prefer the feel of Melbourne. I know these questions are hard to answer, but do you think the advantages of the scholars program are enough to outweigh these disadvantages of going to Monash?
Also, do you know if Monash has connections with many external research institutes that might have opportunities for students? I know Melbourne has lots of connections because they’re in the biomedical precinct, but I’m not sure about Monash.

I just completed my 2nd year of biomed scholars. I’ll just elaborate on what Sine said. The scholarship is $3000 per year (was $5000 per year when I started). Monash school of biomed has a lot of external connections eg Hudson Institute, so many people do their 3990 units or honours there. After rona, I don’t think they do mentoring or research facilities tours anymore which used to be exclusively for those in the scholars program. There’s an additional benefit in that you have the option to accelerate units and overload in biomed scholars so theoretically you can complete the degree in 2 years, but no one I’m aware of used this perk. The main reason to take biomed at Monash is for those exclusive postgrad med spots, which aren’t available should you choose to go to unimelb. I know peeps in the scholars program who transferred to unimelb because of the travel time, so that’s something you may want to consider
VCE 2016-2018

2017: Biology [38], Further Maths [44]

2018: Methods [37], French [38], Chem [40], English [44]

UMAT: 56/43/80, 57th percentile (LLLLOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLL)

ATAR: 98.1

2019-2021: Bachelor of Biomedical Science at Monash (Scholars), minoring in Chemistry

GAMSAT September 2021: 65/67/86, 76 overall (98th percentile)

2022: Chilling

2023+: Transfer to teaching degree

Golgi Apparatus

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2021, 04:32:45 pm »
Thank you!
I’m not interested in medicine, so I’m mostly just looking at the extra opportunities.
Do you know if there will be mentoring and research facility tours again in the future?
What other places do people do research units at? Does monash have connections with places in the city like Peter Mac and Doherty?
VCE

Billuminati

• Science Games: Gold
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +127
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2021, 04:51:20 pm »
+1
Thank you!
I’m not interested in medicine, so I’m mostly just looking at the extra opportunities.
Do you know if there will be mentoring and research facility tours again in the future?
What other places do people do research units at? Does monash have connections with places in the city like Peter Mac and Doherty?

These likely will be brought back. I think mentoring still happens remotely via Zoom, but they definitely called off the research tours. People do research units at the central clinical school and the Hudson Institute, although there could be others
VCE 2016-2018

2017: Biology [38], Further Maths [44]

2018: Methods [37], French [38], Chem [40], English [44]

UMAT: 56/43/80, 57th percentile (LLLLOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLL)

ATAR: 98.1

2019-2021: Bachelor of Biomedical Science at Monash (Scholars), minoring in Chemistry

GAMSAT September 2021: 65/67/86, 76 overall (98th percentile)

2022: Chilling

2023+: Transfer to teaching degree

Golgi Apparatus

• Forum Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2021, 07:42:43 pm »
Thanks  :)
VCE