Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 01:29:56 pm

Author Topic: How do SAC's actually matter?  (Read 2170 times)  Share 

nervousdan

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
How do SAC's actually matter?
« on: September 06, 2021, 02:12:22 pm »
Hi guys

forgive me if I'm incorrect but I've been reading alot atarnotes and the like posts about sacs and rankings, and all seem to give the same answer: your exam can change your sac ranks. The posts generally demonstrate it through a scenario like this:
3 students sac marks:
John: 90
Mark: 80
Jill: 70

Same students exam marks:
Jill: 90
John: 70

In this case, Jill would get mark's sac grades for the year (due to the rating shift) and vice versa

However these same posts always stress that sacs, on an individual level, still matter. My question is how? I'll demonstrate it through a scenario of my own

3 students sac marks (pretend this cohort consists of only 3 students):
Bill: 95
Carla: 85
Dan: 50

Dan: 90
Carla: 80
Bill: 60

As such, wouldnt Dan essentially take Bills marks and vice versa, and make the awful sac marks he'd be getting all year not matter? How does the ranking switching system like this mean sac marks matter all if the exam can essentially change them? Thanks everyone
Bio - 41
Legal - 41

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: How do SAC's actually matter?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 02:18:34 pm »
Hi guys

forgive me if I'm incorrect but I've been reading alot atarnotes and the like posts about sacs and rankings, and all seem to give the same answer: your exam can change your sac ranks. The posts generally demonstrate it through a scenario like this:
3 students sac marks:
John: 90
Jill: 70

Jill: 90
John: 70

In this case, Jill would get mark's sac grades for the year (due to the rating shift) and vice versa

However these same posts always stress that sacs, on an individual level, still matter. My question is how? I'll demonstrate it through a scenario of my own

3 students sac marks (pretend this cohort consists of only 3 students):
Bill: 95
Carla: 85
Dan: 50

Dan: 90
Carla: 80
Bill: 60

As such, wouldnt Dan essentially take Bills marks and vice versa, and make the awful sac marks he'd be getting all year not matter? How does the ranking switching system like this mean sac marks matter all if the exam can essentially change them? Thanks everyone
In your situation Bill is Rank 1, Carla is Rank 2, Dan is Rank 3. Whatever happens those will be the order of sac marks regardless of how they do on the exam - although equal sac marks can occur. Sac scaling will occur but that order remains the same.
From the exam marks Dan scored the highest but since he was rank 3 his sacs would depend on the third highest exam score which was Bill's so Dan's 50 would be scaled to the sac equivalent of Bill's 60.
As a result those bad sac marks would result in a lower study score.
Does this make it a little more clearer?