Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:18:39 am

Author Topic: Advice on Mathematical Methods in regards to Medicine  (Read 4187 times)  Share 

MedHopeful27

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Advice on Mathematical Methods in regards to Medicine
« on: June 09, 2021, 08:15:45 pm »
Hey, so basically I'm hoping to do either Biomed (more realistic) or med (more unrealistic) as a  school leaver. I've noticed that Methods is Prereq for Biomed at Melbourne/Monash, however, it isn't for Science at Monash (at least that's what I think). Basically my question is it worth actually doing a Methods bridging in the year after I complete year 12? I would pick Methods up however my school doesn't allow anyone to pick up methods after the start of the year, I am a competent math student doing General atm but didn't select Methods as I had other career aspirations mid last year. Basically my question is should I take a gap year and do a Methods bridging course or should I just do a regular Science Degree at Monash instead.
Sorry for the ramble, thanks!
2021 - [Revolutions] (Year 12) [Chemistry 1/2] [General Mathematics 1/2] [Biology 1/2] [French 1/2] [English 1/2]

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
Re: Advice on Mathematical Methods in regards to Medicine
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 08:32:58 pm »
Hey, so basically I'm hoping to do either Biomed (more realistic) or med (more unrealistic) as a  school leaver. I've noticed that Methods is Prereq for Biomed at Melbourne/Monash, however, it isn't for Science at Monash (at least that's what I think). Basically my question is it worth actually doing a Methods bridging in the year after I complete year 12? I would pick Methods up however my school doesn't allow anyone to pick up methods after the start of the year, I am a competent math student doing General atm but didn't select Methods as I had other career aspirations mid last year. Basically my question is should I take a gap year and do a Methods bridging course or should I just do a regular Science Degree at Monash instead.
I think it is pretty hard to pick methods up especially since you have not done it before, I highly recommend spending some time going through the content first before jumping into the bridging program. From what I heard there is a lot assumed knowledge in method bridging programs.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2021, 08:34:49 pm »
+3
Have you tried asking your school whether you can change into methods? Usually, school "rules" tend to be more so recommendations and may be malleable with enough pressure. Doing well in General Maths and your other subjects could help your case here.

If that is not possible it depends on what you want to get out of your undergraduate degree. If you want to do medicine there probably is little difference between science/biomed and you should be fine just going straight to science.

MedHopeful27

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 08:51:43 pm »
Have you tried asking your school whether you can change into methods? Usually, school "rules" tend to be more so recommendations and may be malleable with enough pressure. Doing well in General Maths and your other subjects could help your case here.

If that is not possible it depends on what you want to get out of your undergraduate degree. If you want to do medicine there probably is little difference between science/biomed and you should be fine just going straight to science.
Hey, thanks for your reply, yes I did query with the school before posting this however they seem quite firm in this policy despite me having about an A average over all of my subjects, my school did make it clear that one had to do Methods in year 10 in order to do 1/2 and 3/4 Methods so I am to blame for my own situation. I guess I'm also curious how much of a disadvantage would I be if I was to enter Science at Monash and major in something like Biochem or Physiology? How much stuff learned in Methods would be applicable In Biochem or Physiology etc? Thanks.
2021 - [Revolutions] (Year 12) [Chemistry 1/2] [General Mathematics 1/2] [Biology 1/2] [French 1/2] [English 1/2]

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 09:12:54 pm »
+3
Hey, thanks for your reply, yes I did query with the school before posting this however they seem quite firm in this policy despite me having about an A average over all of my subjects, my school did make it clear that one had to do Methods in year 10 in order to do 1/2 and 3/4 Methods so I am to blame for my own situation. I guess I'm also curious how much of a disadvantage would I be if I was to enter Science at Monash and major in something like Biochem or Physiology? How much stuff learned in Methods would be applicable In Biochem or Physiology etc? Thanks.
You will be fine in biochem/physiology there is some maths but nothing as advanced as methods at least for the undergraduate level. They also won't assume too much maths knowledge so the little maths you need will probably be taught. If you go onto honours/masters/PhD you might end up needing more advanced maths.