Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 12:17:52 am

Author Topic: Hoping for a HSC Viktory... (hsc '20 journal)  (Read 20788 times)

Viktoriak_

• MOTM: AUG 20
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +62
Re: Hoping for a HSC Viktory... (hsc '20 journal)
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2020, 07:42:41 pm »
I'm feeling the same with you on this post trials 'burn out'. Though I don't think I ever studied hard enough to really 'burn out', my motivation is out the window. It just feels like those last week of term 4 (in past years) when everyone would throw class parties and teachers would let us do 'research'...except there's still content to learn and hsc exams! but all we can do is just keep on moving, so best luck to you and the rest of this hsc journey!!!!

alice : )

Ahh thankyou! You're right, all we can do is keep going till the end :))
Best of luck to you too!
HSC '19: IPT
HSC '20: chem, phys, maths 3U, eng adv.

Viktoriak_

• Forum Regular
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2020, 01:13:05 pm »
+6
Term 3 Week 8 update - 8/9/20
As of now, there are TWELVE days let of school, then we graduate. Crazy!!
Turns out we can have a small graduation, they're splitting up our grade into small groups (but parents can't come), so we can have multiple mini graduations. Also formal is back on - I think there's no partners, no singing/dancing, but it's better than nothing :)

Here are my final marks + ranks post trials:
Physics 80% --> 2nd (out of 43 ish.. I'm not sure)
Chemistry 83% --> 4th
English 73% --> 9/105
Maths ADV 76% --> 21/93
Maths EXT 61% --> 19/49
Overall pre happy, maths could be better but I can work with it...

ALSO I got a call last Friday saying I got an offer from the AIRFORCE (for ADFA), so super pumped about that!!
I haven't gotten the official letter yet, but it should be coming soon! Now I just have to:
- pass my asthma test
- get my P's (it's a requirement... I've almost had my L's for 2 years now, so it's about time haha)
- pass the fitness test
- get a minimum ATAR of 85

Getting the offer was a HUGE relief. I know there's still quite a few things I need to check off before I'm in for sure though. Since I got the offer, I've been less stressed (naturally), and I've had a few days of more chilled study...

I guess I've stopped worrying about HSC so much because "I only need 85...". But I reckon I should try my absolute best regardless. I know I'd regret it if I get my ATAR and know I could've worked harder. Not sure if I've mentioned this before, but my original ATAR aim was 98, so I'm gonna keep aiming for that. Got nothing to lose by working harder, even if I don't need the mark.

So yeah, that's pretty much what's going on. We've still got a heap of content to learn, but I'll take it one day at a time. We'll get through it eventually.

Hope you all are going great, sending positivity to anyone who is perhaps having a bad day!

Thank you for reading this :))

« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 01:18:28 pm by Viktoriak_ »

Justin_L

• MOTM: July 20
  • HSC Moderator
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +235
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2020, 02:55:18 pm »
+3
CONGRATULATIONS! Amazing work on getting an offer, you must have aced all of the interview and physical tests. Was Airforce Civil Engineering what you wanted? That must feel amazing!

Да здравствует революция государственного модератора

Viktoriak_

• Forum Regular
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2020, 03:01:27 pm »
+3
CONGRATULATIONS! Amazing work on getting an offer, you must have aced all of the interview and physical tests. Was Airforce Civil Engineering what you wanted? That must feel amazing!

Thank you!! Yep, I applied for civil engineering in both the army and airforce, I don't mind which one I go into, so super happy!!

alice343

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +125
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2020, 06:47:17 pm »
+3
Congratulations to you!!! That is such an amazing achievement! Keep on doing what you're doing cos it seems like you're going great : D
2020 HSC: English Advanced, Modern History, Legal Studies, Japanese Beginners, Society and Culture, History Extension

Viktoriak_

• Forum Regular
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2020, 08:39:43 am »
+1
Congratulations to you!!! That is such an amazing achievement! Keep on doing what you're doing cos it seems like you're going great : D

Thank you so much!! Super grateful for all your support  :)

Viktoriak_

• Forum Regular
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2020, 06:54:08 pm »
+8
EVERYTHING UPDATE

Ahhh I've kinda neglected this journal !! :'(

Since my last post, we've had our last classes, a muck up day, a picnic day (w theme park rides!), and GRADUATION.
Graduation was COVID-style, our parents couldn't come - which is a shame, but the school did an amazing job! The quad was really nicely decorated, we had mini grad assemblies (in groups to keep it safe...), and at the end the year 11's + teachers lead us out of the school (like an arch, but not lol). It was so, so nice.

Grad was already a week ago, but it still feels hella weird to tell people I've graduated. Kinda feels like in 2 weeks we'll be going straight back to school.

Ngl, I've ignored HSC and studying for a few days after grad. Slowly getting back into it now though - I've finished writing my chem notes, which I'm super happy about. For physics, though, I still have to learn the majority of module 8, which is pre scary.
Then there's english...

Anyway, I'm not gonna go too much into it, just gotta get studying. I've given up on a study timetable, I've (tried) to use one for the past few weeks and during trials, but I couldn't stick to it. So now I'm just doing what feels right and going day by day.

I'll try to update this sometime (hopefully when I'm well into studying !!), but that's all for now.

Thank you for reading this :))
Best of luck with all your studies!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 06:55:53 pm by Viktoriak_ »

Viktoriak_

• Forum Regular
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2020, 03:54:43 pm »
+7
I'M FREEEEE

Finished chemistry today, which was my last exam!!
Thought I'd do a reflection on how everything went:

English
this feels like an eternity ago. I finished both the papers on time, which I'm very happy with! From memory, my essays were a bit short in Paper 2, but ah well.
Estimated (raw) mark: 75-80%

Maths Advanced
This was pretty good - what I expected. There were definitely some harder questions; I don't think I finished all of them.
Estimated mark: 85%

Maths extension
Extension was HARD. I definitely crammed for this. The majority of my study was done ~2 days before. But I did enjoy the 1st half of the test, it was stuff I'd been practicing. There was also a pigeonhole question which I knew how to do because I saw a similar one in the James Ruse trial the night before woop!  ;D The last part of question 13 and the entirety of 14(a) got me though - no clue. I was lucky I could do the trig proofs in the other half of Q14. Yeah, so overall, I enjoyed it, but the end was hard. Ngl, I went in with low expectations anyway.
Estimated mark: 65-70%

Physics
Ahhh. This. I literally learnt the entirety of module 8 in 2 days (from inquiry question 2 to the end). Modules 5 and 6 I already knew pretty well, and module 7 I just needed to learn the special relativity part. I actually really enjoyed studying for physics (not all the time, ofc, but mostly). I was feeling pretty confident the morning of the exam; but it ended up being VERY different to what I expected. There were way more extended responses than calculations, and the overall content examined/style of the questions was different ot the practice papers I did. But it was doable, and I was pre happy with it.
Estimated mark: 84%

Chemistry
I was looking forward to chem the entire STUVAC/HSC period!!! Chem is my favourite subject and honestly I felt I knew the content well, and thought the HSC would be fine. Aaand I was wrong. That exam was possibly the worst chem test I've ever done. I didn't have a heap of time to study for it (because physics was 3 days before), but I still studied everything I would have if I had more time... I went through all the content, memorised the stuff I needed to memorise, did a lot of past papers. Felt pretty good about it. Anyway - long story short, the exam was so, so different to any of the papers I did. Also, I found it hard to concentrate cos I had a fever in the exam (despite having taken a panadol in the morning >:(), which sucked. I left a few questions unanswered, and didn't get to finish as much as I'd wanted to (but if I had more time idk if I would've been able to answer the questions anyway). They also left out a lot of what I studied - there wasn't much polymers, saponification, surfactants...
Yeah. So I'm hoping I still did alright and that it won't drag my ATAR down too much. We'll see.
Estimated mark: 70%

---------------------------------------------

But the day has FINALLY COME!!! I'm free! My birthday is coming up soon, so is formal, and CHRISTMAS! And I'm so excited to start going out heaps cos I have no commitments! I'm also very keen to get back into reading - I haven't read that many books cos of study but now I can  :D

I'm going to try not think about the ATAR/HSC much between now and December 18th cos there's nothing I can do about it. I'm sure it'll be alright.

Congrats to anyone else who has finished HSC recently, and happy relaxing! Thanks for reading :))

alice343

• Trendsetter
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2020, 04:17:09 pm »
+4
I'M FREEEEE

Finished chemistry today, which was my last exam!!
Thought I'd do a reflection on how everything went:

English
this feels like an eternity ago. I finished both the papers on time, which I'm very happy with! From memory, my essays were a bit short in Paper 2, but ah well.
Estimated (raw) mark: 75-80%

Maths Advanced
This was pretty good - what I expected. There were definitely some harder questions; I don't think I finished all of them.
Estimated mark: 85%

Maths extension
Extension was HARD. I definitely crammed for this. The majority of my study was done ~2 days before. But I did enjoy the 1st half of the test, it was stuff I'd been practicing. There was also a pigeonhole question which I knew how to do because I saw a similar one in the James Ruse trial the night before woop!  ;D The last part of question 13 and the entirety of 14(a) got me though - no clue. I was lucky I could do the trig proofs in the other half of Q14. Yeah, so overall, I enjoyed it, but the end was hard. Ngl, I went in with low expectations anyway.
Estimated mark: 65-70%

Physics
Ahhh. This. I literally learnt the entirety of module 8 in 2 days (from inquiry question 2 to the end). Modules 5 and 6 I already knew pretty well, and module 7 I just needed to learn the special relativity part. I actually really enjoyed studying for physics (not all the time, ofc, but mostly). I was feeling pretty confident the morning of the exam; but it ended up being VERY different to what I expected. There were way more extended responses than calculations, and the overall content examined/style of the questions was different ot the practice papers I did. But it was doable, and I was pre happy with it.
Estimated mark: 84%

Chemistry
I was looking forward to chem the entire STUVAC/HSC period!!! Chem is my favourite subject and honestly I felt I knew the content well, and thought the HSC would be fine. Aaand I was wrong. That exam was possibly the worst chem test I've ever done. I didn't have a heap of time to study for it (because physics was 3 days before), but I still studied everything I would have if I had more time... I went through all the content, memorised the stuff I needed to memorise, did a lot of past papers. Felt pretty good about it. Anyway - long story short, the exam was so, so different to any of the papers I did. Also, I found it hard to concentrate cos I had a fever in the exam (despite having taken a panadol in the morning >:(), which sucked. I left a few questions unanswered, and didn't get to finish as much as I'd wanted to (but if I had more time idk if I would've been able to answer the questions anyway). They also left out a lot of what I studied - there wasn't much polymers, saponification, surfactants...
Yeah. So I'm hoping I still did alright and that it won't drag my ATAR down too much. We'll see.
Estimated mark: 70%

---------------------------------------------

But the day has FINALLY COME!!! I'm free! My birthday is coming up soon, so is formal, and CHRISTMAS! And I'm so excited to start going out heaps cos I have no commitments! I'm also very keen to get back into reading - I haven't read that many books cos of study but now I can  :D

I'm going to try not think about the ATAR/HSC much between now and December 18th cos there's nothing I can do about it. I'm sure it'll be alright.

Congrats to anyone else who has finished HSC recently, and happy relaxing! Thanks for reading :))

congrats on finishing!!!
2020 HSC: English Advanced, Modern History, Legal Studies, Japanese Beginners, Society and Culture, History Extension

Viktoriak_

• Forum Regular
« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2020, 09:48:48 am »
+11
ATAR's ARE OUT!

ATAR's just came out today!!! I thought I'd be heaps more nervous, but I was actually fine. I only need 85 for ADFA, so I suppose that took the pressure off.

Here are my results:
Eng 88 (Band 5)
Maths ADV 91 (Band 6)
Maths EXT 45 (Band E4)
Chem 87 (Band 5)
Phys 88 (Band 5)
--- from 2019, IPT 98 (Band 6)
My overall ATAR is 96.95 !!

I'm extremely surprised by the subject marks - I was honestly expecting an E2 in maths extension. And Chemistry was my worst subject, when I thought it'd be one of my best. :o In the end though, I got a much higher ATAR than I thought I would, so I'm very happy!!

Hope everyone else is happy with their marks and results! And just a reminder that no matter the number, you have worked so hard this year, and should be proud regardless.

Vik

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2020, 09:51:28 am »
+4
Brilliant results - congratulations. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Evolio

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2020, 09:59:04 am »
+3
A massive CONGRATULATIONS Vik! That's amazing!  ;D

alice343

• Trendsetter
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2020, 12:44:11 pm »
+4
Congratulations!!! It's awesome that all your hard work has paid off. Take your time to celebrate ! :)

Viktoriak_

• Forum Regular
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2020, 07:49:47 pm »
Thank you everyone!!  ;D