Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:06:34 am

Author Topic: Sample biodiversity bio data test questions  (Read 12458 times)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Sample biodiversity bio data test questions
« on: November 22, 2019, 08:32:02 am »
+15
I've attached a document to this with sample questions to act as practice material for the Unit 3 QCE biology data test. I've focused my questions on biodiveristy since that's at the start of unit 3 and thus more schools are likely to have already finished that than other topics.

I hope you find this useful & if you post up your answers I'll be happy to provide feedback :)

Note: if you can't see the document try logging in. If you don't have an account yet you can make one for free here
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 10:40:21 am by Bri MT »

Annabel-L16

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: Sample biodiversity bio data test questions
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 05:54:51 pm »
+1
Thank you for these questions :)
For the question about a consideration TouristTrips4Us should have considered, is the season a valid answer? As the population they sampled may have been smaller than usual if females weren't leaving nests, or if they had migrated away to nest.

Thanks again

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 07:08:21 pm »
+2
Thank you for these questions :)
For the question about a consideration TouristTrips4Us should have considered, is the season a valid answer? As the population they sampled may have been smaller than usual if females weren't leaving nests, or if they had migrated away to nest.

Thanks again

Welcome to the forums :)

No worries!

Yes, what season it is could definitely impact it depending on species phenology (you don't need to know what phenology means for QCE but it's what you're describing - how the behaviour changes across time)

The Lincoln index assumes no migration (emigration or immigration) and that the marked individuals will be randomly distributed throughout the population. Recapturing should be done at an equivalent time to marking & they should absolutely pick an appropriate time to sample in order to obtain valid results.

Good thinking :)

Annabel-L16

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 09:25:42 pm »
+1
Welcome to the forums :)

No worries!

Yes, what season it is could definitely impact it depending on species phenology (you don't need to know what phenology means for QCE but it's what you're describing - how the behaviour changes across time)

The Lincoln index assumes no migration (emigration or immigration) and that the marked individuals will be randomly distributed throughout the population. Recapturing should be done at an equivalent time to marking & they should absolutely pick an appropriate time to sample in order to obtain valid results.

Good thinking :)

Thank you for your help & quick response :)

ARPlayz259

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2021, 11:56:27 am »
I think their may be a mistake. I've calculated the SDI for Area 1, and got 0.75 as opposed to the 0.79 you got, which would of course affect the next question after it.
This worksheet was very helpful though thank you.