Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 04:59:10 am

Author Topic: Brexit  (Read 8320 times)  Share 

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
Re: Brexit
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2019, 04:21:03 pm »
Brexit seems to be lurching from crisis to crisis. Unsurprisingly, new PM Boris Johnson hasn't magically solved everything, hasn't been able to get a majority in Parliament behind him, and it seems likely that the Brexit deadline will be extended further without any way to actually achieve it and get a Parliamentary majority...

For anyone not following, the events in the UK the last few days have been genuinely flooring.

Some highlights:

-BJ proroguing parliament (i.e. cancelling it for a bit) so that they can't vote against his government
-BJ losing his first vote in parliament, the first PM to do so since the early 19th century
-tories losing their majority
-21 rebelled against the government on the first vote, all were kicked out of the party (despite BJ doing that on several occasions). Among the rebels included the immediate past Chancellor (i.e. treasurer in Australian terms), the longest serving member of parliament and former minister under Heath, Thatcher, Major and Cameron, and Winston Churchill's grandson. Incredible we're at a point where Winston Churchill's grandson doesn't belong in the Tories anymore.
-BJ's own brother resigning from govt and parliament because of the "tension between family loyalty and the national interest".

Wild times.

in other words: complete and utter chaos...

turinturambar

• Forum Obsessive
  • TÚRIN TURAMBAR DAGNIR GLAURUNGA
  • Respect: +184
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2019, 12:56:32 am »
For anyone not following, the events in the UK the last few days have been genuinely flooring.

Some highlights:

-BJ proroguing parliament (i.e. cancelling it for a bit) so that they can't vote against his government
-BJ losing his first vote in parliament, the first PM to do so since the early 19th century
-tories losing their majority
-21 rebelled against the government on the first vote, all were kicked out of the party (despite BJ doing that on several occasions). Among the rebels included the immediate past Chancellor (i.e. treasurer in Australian terms), the longest serving member of parliament and former minister under Heath, Thatcher, Major and Cameron, and Winston Churchill's grandson. Incredible we're at a point where Winston Churchill's grandson doesn't belong in the Tories anymore.
-BJ's own brother resigning from govt and parliament because of the "tension between family loyalty and the national interest".

Wild times.

Thanks vox. Yes, it's definitely a wild collection of events.  And it's not just Boris who voted against the various versions of the May government deal - wouldn't it have ended up most of the current government?

And as for the tories losing their majority, wasn't even that relying on the DUP for supply and confidence?

I was reading an article today from a week ago suggesting that if Johnson moved fast enough he might be able to completely wrong-foot his opponents and force a No Deal exit, but clearly that hasn't happened (though it remains to be seen how much scope there is for fun and games in the back half of October).

And the world laughs at our government..........

In fairness, our government has deserved to be laughed at at times. But, while I don't follow a huge amount of politics, I feel like Trump and Boris are both worse...
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” – Neil Gaiman

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2019, 10:09:35 am »
In fairness, our government has deserved to be laughed at at times. But, while I don't follow a huge amount of politics, I feel like Trump and Boris are both worse...

No doubt there! Trump and Boris are defiantly worse than our every revolving door of prime ministers. 
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash