Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 08:24:18 am

Author Topic: Why the bad rep?  (Read 42950 times)  Share 

costargh

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
Re: Why the bad rep?
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2009, 10:52:33 pm »
50-60% ?? %?? firstly its a rank not percentage. Secondly some Vic uni courses need a higher ENTER than melbourne commerce so get your facts straight. Thirdly RMIT is renowned in areas such as Architecture and Accountancy so they may even compete Monash in those areas. One last thing, while Vic uni isn't the best uni, you sure as hell bet yourself that it's had some successful people in the past and the Vic Uni = TAFE thing is DRAINEDDDD.

that is all
this seems like good enough evidence.

I may be wrong, but I just checked VTAC and only one course was higher than Commerce at UoM , Law/Management ~96 ENTER and only 6 people were enrolled in this course last year...

Having some very successful graduates is of course very good to know about, but this is relative to the amount of success stories from other institutions is it not?

costargh

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2009, 11:34:30 pm »
50-60% ?? %?? firstly its a rank not percentage. Secondly some Vic uni courses need a higher ENTER than melbourne commerce so get your facts straight. Thirdly RMIT is renowned in areas such as Architecture and Accountancy so they may even compete Monash in those areas. One last thing, while Vic uni isn't the best uni, you sure as hell bet yourself that it's had some successful people in the past and the Vic Uni = TAFE thing is DRAINEDDDD.

that is all
this seems like good enough evidence.

I may be wrong, but I just checked VTAC and only one course was higher than Commerce at UoM , Law/Management ~96 ENTER and only 6 people were enrolled in this course last year...

Having some very successful graduates is of course very good to know about, but this is relative to the amount of success stories from other institutions is it not?

fair to say...  but suggesting all graduates end up at nandos is a big statement in itself don't you agree?

Yeh of course, that would be unfair. Looking past the jokes and jibes the consensus is that the employability of graduates from VU is unfavourable compared to other more prestigous universities.

doboman

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2009, 12:33:56 am »
Instead of following people's posts around and dissecting them, try to make a half-decent contribution.

It's more evidence than you've contributed in this entire thread.

Ninwa, dont make personal attacks. You're so much better than that.
"Acknowledge Him in all your ways, and He will direct your paths"

QuantumJG

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Applied Mathematics Student at UoM
  • Respect: +82
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2009, 07:38:58 am »
It's all relative. I'm sure those at Harvard would go LOLUOM.

That's Harvard though, being the number 1 uni (in the world) they would pretty much laugh at everyone.

At least by your hypothesis they would at least know about UoM, whereas for VU it would be different.
2008: Finished VCE

2009 - 2011: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Physics)

2012 - 2014: Master of Science (Applied Mathematics/Mathematical Physics)

2016 - 2018: Master of Engineering (Civil)

Semester 1:[/b] Engineering Mechanics, Fluid Mechanics, Engineering Risk Analysis, Sustainable Infrastructure Engineering

Semester 2:[/b] Earth Processes for Engineering, Engineering Materials, Structural Theory and Design, Systems Modelling and Design

AppleXY

• Life cannot be Delta Hedged.
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Even when the bears bite, confidence never dies.
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2009, 07:01:11 pm »
Why does Harvard ALWAYS get all the glory? I mean for specific faculties (such as Mathematics and Business) it's far from being #1 (MIT and UPenn Wharton School of Business) is.

<3 Wharton. (NYU Stern is effin mad tooooo) :D

2009 - BBus (Econometrics/Economics&Fin) @ Monash

For Email: click here

Need a question answered? Merspi it!

[quote="Benjamin F

Kairubin

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2009, 10:20:13 pm »
All about supply and demand. For all you eco students out there.
If people don't want to go into a course the course get dropped or the ENTER has to get lowered to attract more students. Less students means less funding. Less funding means less resources. Less resources means less teaching staff wanting to teach there. Less teaching staff means the course looks unattractive. Unattractive courses don't look good to students. Students not taking up courses = Lower ENTER requirement. All a vicious cycle really in my personal opinion.

But at the end of the day they are still a tertiary institution. They may not be a par of the sandstone unis or part of the group of eight but they are still providing an education to those that choose to go there. And as long as people are being educated that's always a positive because they're getting skills to use.

It's a 'crap uni' because people who think they're all high and mighty attending more 'prestigious' unis like to rip on it for being a new player. Like anything in time who knows what could happen.

Greggler

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2009, 11:02:38 pm »
lol at person who said they are shit due to exmaination techniques etc.
Some of the best uni's in US eg. MIT and Caltech have open book/take home exams lol

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2009, 01:17:18 am »
Why does Harvard ALWAYS get all the glory? I mean for specific faculties (such as Mathematics and Business) it's far from being #1 (MIT and UPenn Wharton School of Business) is.

What sense are we talking about "best"? For graduate studies, for example, the best in the US for mathematics is Chicago, then Harvard, MIT, Princeton, Stanford, Berkeley, if memory serves. If you go by research though (output of publications + citations, weighted accordingly) then I have no idea, though I think Harvard is near the top (they have a great algebra department). If you go by undergraduate, then I have no idea either, but it's pretty irrelevant in any case (undergrad maths is pretty meaningless in that it's the graduate stuff that's important).
I'm guessing it's similar in business as well, it depends on what way you rank universities.
VCE 2006
PhB (Hons) (Sc), ANU, 2007-2010
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012
PhD, Princeton, 2012-2017
Research Associate, University College London, 2017-2020
Assistant Professor, University of Virginia, 2020-

Feel free to ask me about (advanced) mathematics.

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2009, 11:53:37 am »
I think in the US there is kind of more diversity of 'good' unis in that there are many good places you can go in certain faculties, which may not be the best for other faculties. For instance, NYU is supposed to be better than Harvard for certain Humanities programmes. Regardless though, a degree from Harvard is pretty prestigious and most people/businesses in the world would recognise that, and sometimes you do need to cater your qualifications to what people think about them, rather than what they are.

jay1993

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2010, 08:10:29 pm »

Harvard on ur resume looks better though. No matter what part of the world you are in.

jaja

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2010, 01:12:22 am »
i feel sorry for the guys who have put VU as their first preference, you sure have crushed their soul
VCE Year 11 08'
Religion and society: 40

VCE Year 12 09'
English
Buisness Management
Biology
Chemistry
Maths Methods

Hoping for a 95+

TrueTears

• TT
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2010, 01:18:44 am »

But Harvard has won Putnam for the past 4 years or so over MIT :P
PhD @ MIT (Economics).

Interested in asset pricing, econometrics, and social choice theory.

*ryan777*

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2010, 01:29:51 am »
i feel sorry for the guys who have put VU as their first preference, you sure have crushed their soul

lol i know yeah
2010: Bachelor of Economics @ Monash University - Clayton
Sem1: Priciples of Accounting/Finance, Principles of Microeconomics, Business Statistics, Japanese 5
Sem2: Intro to Financial Accounting, Corporate Finance, Principles of Macroeconomics, Japanese 6

ioaus09

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2010, 10:52:22 pm »
Just my opinion, but I reckon its the name (prestige). For example, Monash Caufield, was before a crap uni before they rebrand it as monash methinks it was chism (worse than VU (annoying ads as well)), yet now because of the rebrand, many people go to it (same place, resources, lecturers as CHISM, just a rebrand). The *real* monash is the clayton campus (which is why ENTER scores is higher in Clayton than monash caufield (and quality of courses). My uncle helps large Scale Organisations employ people, and in a company at Singapore, they specifically ask for no one from "Monash" Caufield. I also think, the location makes it bad...footscray (many associate that area with asian gangs, stabbings and murder) IMOP all nonsense). Which is why i think stupid Uni rankings are exactly that...stupid (and employers unfortunately fall for these rankings). My cuz goes to VU and she is far smarter than any person I know that goes to Melb U (she lives on her own ever since she finished VCE, and is now in a group of selected people at VU with a excellent avg. to do their last year at Lille, France). I think people are just snobbish to look down on other uni's.

I am currently enrolled to Architecture Monash Clayton, yet i put down VU as my 5 pref. i don't care even if i went there (only asian parents think otherwise) BTW, does anyone know a person that has actually gone to an American Uni from Australia, I heard its as hard as hell
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 10:54:17 pm by ioaus09 »

appianway

« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2010, 10:54:59 pm »
I know of Australians who've studied in the US, for both undergraduate and postgraduate. For undergraduate, you just have to ensure that you're exceptionally involved in extra-curriculars and that you complete SAT/ACT testing to a high standard.