Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:50:18 pm

Author Topic: Chemistry for GAMSAT  (Read 5583 times)  Share 

candy98

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Chemistry for GAMSAT
« on: January 28, 2017, 02:36:18 pm »
Hi all
I am starting my first year at uni and I am a little stuck with choosing my subjects to help me for GAMSAT. I've heard that doing chemistry at UNI prepares you well for section three of GAMSAT but after VCE chemistry I'm not too sure about taking another year of chemistry and plus this unit clashes with my other subjects and isn't giving me a good timetable so I was just wondering...

1. Is first year chemistry at UNI required to be able to answer the GAMSAT chemistry questions?

2. I have done VCE chemistry and am currently doing biomed and would the subject "Biomedical chemistry" be enough to cover the chemistry knowledge required for the gamsat?

3. Is it possible or has anyone previously done independent chemistry study without doing it at UNI as a subject and still managed to answer the chemistry questions on the gamsat?

Thankyou!! 😊

• Forum Leader
  • socratic junkie wannabe
  • Respect: +341
Re: Chemistry for GAMSAT
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 03:15:47 pm »
I'm assuming this question refers to BMS1011, the core chem subject for Monash biomed. I asked a mate in Biomed II at Monash and he said that this subject is essentially a recap of y12 chem and that by itself it wouldn't be enough for GAMSAT chem (which is assumed first year uni level). He said he did another chem subject as well to supplement this. Hopefully someone doing the subjects can confirm. If you wanted, you could do the study yourself, but you'd have to be super disciplined. There are many stories of people doing well in Gamsat from non-science backgrounds who self-taught.
2016–2018: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Neuroscience), The University of Melbourne
2019–2022: Doctor of Medicine, The University of Melbourne