Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 10:27:06 am

Author Topic: 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia  (Read 14799 times)

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
2018 FIFA World Cup Russia
« on: December 14, 2017, 04:30:11 pm »
+2
Thoughts on the groups and predictions/team you are supporting to win? No real group of death imo.

Australia realistically have little to no chance to compete or even get out of their group sadly  :(

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 04:43:30 pm »
+4
With a few big names like Italy and the Netherlands missing out, I think it opens it up a lot! The easiest group is probably group A imo. Tipping France and Denmark to get out of Group C (with France to take out 1st spot), but obviously hopeful that Australia will manage to get to the round of 16.

Based off current form, I'm tipping Germany to win - undefeated in 2017 and a good, strong squad. Also keen to see England inevitably choke :D

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 04:47:59 pm »
+1
A this stage, I feel that France are the favourites with Brazil behind.

As for which team I hope will win, probably Belgium because they are the dark horses (Thierry Henry who is one of my favourite players is their assistant coach). I like the Spanish national team but they were really dominant between the 2008-2012 period, so I'm ready for something fresh.

Pity that Zlatan retired from international football last year considering Sweden didn't make the last two world cups (even if he didn't retire back then, if he probably wouldn't play for Sweden after the injury).

VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb

Clapped

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 04:56:51 pm »
+2
I don’t think Australia ever realistically has a chance of making it out of their group lol.

Hoping Argentina can win it.
You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap.

😂😂😂😂😂

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 05:19:47 pm »
+1
Group A i'd think Uruguay win comfortably. Group C is just gonna depend on whether Christian Eriksen turns up or not.

Analytically I think Germany definitely has the best chance of winning but would like to see Argentina or Belgium to win. Argentina for Messi and Belgium KDB.  Realistically only around 4-6 can probably win and Argentina and Belgium are at the fringe of that.

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 07:18:23 pm »
+1
no one in group C can come close to defending against mark milligan and mile jedinak LOL.
to be honest, 4 points with a good goal difference is realistically gonna be good enough to get australia through. france will probably win every match, and if australia can beat either denmark or peru and draw the other, it's just gonna be about goal difference. This group is kinda similiar to australias in 2006 where brazil just pumped everyone and we only lost to them by 1, beat japan by 2, and drew croatia and we were through. it's just gonna be a question of how good the side is come tournament time. I don't really have high hopes with the current squad, but there have a lot of good young australian talent that have been ludicriously underutilized by postecoglou and I hope they get a chance at playing soon. replace robbie kruse with jamie maclaren and give mustafa amini a shot and we could beat germany 30-0 with 9 men.

anyway this all depends on who we get as a coach.

The Special One

• Forum Obsessive
  • Do not touch the great one
  • Respect: -14
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 12:04:45 am »
Rip to Australia.

I honestly think Argentina will win it this year.

I know France has the better squad but Argentina have the best player in the world.
Bachelor of Laws @ Monash (2nd year)

Feel free to PM me about anything, happy to give advice about school and/or uni.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 07:13:03 pm »
staring in a couple of days who has got predicitions?

This is what I'm thinking
Group Winners (A-H): Uruguay, Spain, France, Argentina, Brazil, Germany, Belgium and Senegal.
Group Runner-ups (A-H): Egypt, Portugal, Denmark, Croatia, Costa Rica, Mexico, England and Colombia.

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 08:31:00 pm »
staring in a couple of days who has got predicitions?

This is what I'm thinking
Group Winners (A-H): Uruguay, Spain, France, Argentina, Brazil, Germany, Belgium and Senegal.
Group Runner-ups (A-H): Egypt, Portugal, Denmark, Croatia, Costa Rica, Mexico, England and Colombia.

Pretty much the same, except I think that Switzerland will make it through the group stage over Costa Rica (unless Campbell does a repeat of the last WC) and Colombia followed by Poland for Group H (as good as Mane may be for Liverpool).
VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 01:31:00 am »
Pretty much the same, except I think that Switzerland will make it through the group stage over Costa Rica (unless Campbell does a repeat of the last WC) and Colombia followed by Poland for Group H (as good as Mane may be for Liverpool).
Hmm yeah I definitely don't disagree with those picks on paper. Just got a good feeling about Senegal and Costa Rica.

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 02:24:31 am »
+2
I honestly think group H is the group of death in this one. All the teams on a good day can absolutely smash anybody. And it will have some great football. Also after seeing France draw America it is definitely more understandable how Australia could win. If France just miss all their shots and we score a goal or two we win or draw HAHAHAHA the socceroos are way better than the American team that drew France 1-1 the other say so nothing is impossible. I also think Peru are a bit underrated but Denmark is great. Super tough group. Just hope it's not a repeat of 2010 where we get flogged 4-0 then miss out on second on goal difference

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2018, 09:00:39 pm »
+1
AUS adraw at halftime.. bloody miracle.
Pogba playing like Hayward yesterday.. :)

And then he goals it... :'(

Meh...

« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 10:47:57 pm by S200 »
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2018, 01:50:35 pm »
+5
classic pogba, plays horrible the whole game and then scores a lucky goal towards the end. Respectable performance by Aus nonetheless.

RobertGreenez

• Fresh Poster
  • "Food expert. Unapologetic travel advocate. Devote
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 11:14:18 pm »
+1
I hope Argentina will win the world cup 2018, because Argentina is a complete team who have the great passion with a ultimate striker level.I highly appreciate the passion of Messi, after a Maradona,he is the legend.

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2018, 01:57:29 am »
+1
LOL.

Realising that Mexico have actually named Corona in their subs... :D

EDIT. And used him as well!! :D WTG!

PS. Is it mean to wish that Werner get;s injured so they bring Brandt on? :)
NVM. They got him on. :D

And why didn't VAR pick up that foul on Berg?

A pretty good game tbh, and great strikes from Germany... Kroooooooooos!!!!
But Berg shoulda got a penalty for the foul on him, and it shoulda been a draw imo. :'(
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 06:23:07 am by S200 »
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D