Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:36:36 am

Author Topic: I received a 99+ ATAR and a perfect GPA - ask me anything.  (Read 92542 times)  Share 

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
Re: I received a 99+ ATAR and a perfect GPA - ask me anything.
« Reply #180 on: September 16, 2019, 07:55:47 pm »
+1
Howdy!

I think working through content through the summer break is fine if you want to do it. I also don't think it's necessary in order to do well in Year 12.

No matter which way you go, though, I think balance is important. As I mentioned above, I was actually travelling for a lot of the summer break, and didn't do heaps in terms of VCE preparation aside from assigned homework from my teachers. I certainly wasn't several chapters ahead or anything like that.

Does that mean you should do the same? No, not necessarily. Are you thinking of getting ahead over that break?

Re: subjects, I'll list them below with very approximate raw and scaled scores. This is just from memory, so may not be completely accurate (I might even be contradicting myself from earlier in the thread).

> Business Management (in Year 11): 48 > 47.5
> English Language: 44 > 45.5
> Further Maths: 45 > 44
> Health and Human Development: 50 > 50
> Psychology: 48 > 47.5
> Visual Communication Design: 44 > 42.5

So, only English Language (slightly) scaled up, but I don't really see that as in my favour or otherwise. Scaling is what it is, and it's designed to make the system fairer. I certainly didn't feel that way through Year 11 and Year 12 ("my subjects scale down, this is so unjust!"), but definitely believe that to be true now. :)

Thanks for the reply, yeah I hope to briefly work through the content so that when im in class im focused on asking questions, getting a deeper understanding and filling knowledge gaps
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

brothanathan

« Reply #181 on: October 20, 2019, 07:05:45 pm »
+4
What did you personally do in the summer holidays to prepare for Year 12? Is there anything you would have done differentely?

How did you study for HHD? Spaced repetition, key knowledge, avoid waffling and etc.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 07:11:22 pm by brothanathan »

SS1314

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #182 on: October 20, 2019, 07:46:17 pm »
+4
"I RECEIVED A 99+ ATAR AND A PERFECT GPA - ASK ME ANYTHING"

Well, what is the meaning of life?
2021: English, Environmental Science, Chemistry, Physics [50]

Offering 2022 head start classes (PM for details)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #183 on: October 21, 2019, 07:38:58 am »
+2
"I RECEIVED A 99+ ATAR AND A PERFECT GPA - ASK ME ANYTHING"

Well, what is the meaning of life?

Big question! I have no idea - what are your thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 09:22:12 am by Joseph41 »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

SS1314

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #184 on: October 21, 2019, 09:48:20 am »
Big question! I have no idea - what are your thoughts?

I have no idea as well. That's why I am asking you, the 99+ ATAR and perfect GPA student, to enlighten me.
2021: English, Environmental Science, Chemistry, Physics [50]

Offering 2022 head start classes (PM for details)

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #185 on: October 21, 2019, 09:52:48 am »
+8
I have no idea as well. That's why I am asking you, the 99+ ATAR and perfect GPA student, to enlighten me.

Me? ATAR and GPA? There are more important things. Friendship. Bravery.

(This is a Hermione Granger reference, but I think it's a good point haha. Those with good grades are usually just as confused and clueless as the rest of us!)

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #186 on: October 21, 2019, 10:27:41 am »
+4
What did you personally do in the summer holidays to prepare for Year 12? Is there anything you would have done differentely?

How did you study for HHD? Spaced repetition, key knowledge, avoid waffling and etc.

Also, sorry - completely missed this! Thanks for the questions.

Summer holidays:
> I actually travelled for most of it. It was my first time overseas. Loved it, no regrets. When I came back, I got through holiday homework I'd been assigned for my subjects, but I had very little to do. The only subject I had to invest a little bit of time into was HHD, because I hadn't done 1&2 and was picking it up cold.
> I didn't get ahead of content or anything like that. I was never really ahead of the class at all through Year 12.

HHD:
You can see some of my tips/reflections at the links below. :)
> [HHD 50] Maximising your exam performance - from now
> [50 in HHD] Health and Human Development in 2017 and beyond

brothanathan

« Reply #187 on: October 21, 2019, 02:34:51 pm »
+1
HHD:
You can see some of my tips/reflections at the links below. :)
> [HHD 50] Maximising your exam performance - from now

10/10 recommend the link above :) thanks Jo

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #188 on: October 21, 2019, 02:53:04 pm »
10/10 recommend the link above :) thanks Jo

No worries - hope it helps! :) It's been a little while since I studied HHD and the study design has changed a couple (maybe even a few) times, but happy to answer any other questions. :)

yourfriendlyneighbourhoodghost

• Forum Obsessive
  • sleep now and dream, study now and live your dream
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #189 on: October 21, 2019, 04:26:30 pm »
+4
First of all, thank you and all the ATAR Notes people. I love this forum so so so much.

My questions are:

When you were studying, did you have a certain ATAR goal that sometimes you were very scared you wouldn't get?

Also what are your study tips in general?

And further maths is prob my worst subject, I am doing many practice exams and marking down what I need to improve but on every exam I get like 67 percent ):

Also random, since you liked MAFS, are you are fan of love island or the bachelor?

Thank you so much!

Also, it's comforting to know that you did scaled down subjects and still got an amazing score because every single subject of mine is scaled down and yeah, it's worrying because I need an 80 plus.

2018: Studio Arts [37]
2019: English [38] Psychology [38] Vis Com [36] Software Development [40] Further Maths [35]
ATAR: 87.95 ❤️

2020-2023 Bachelor of Arts @ Unimelb

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #190 on: October 21, 2019, 04:35:44 pm »
+6
First of all, thank you and all the ATAR Notes people. I love this forum so so so much.

No, thank you! The value of ATAR Notes comes from the people of ATAR Notes, including you and everybody reading this. I love the forum, too! 😍

My questions are:

When you were studying, did you have a certain ATAR goal that sometimes you were very scared you wouldn't get?

Not really. At the start of Year 11, I was asked to write down my goal ATAR as some sort of motivation tool, and I really had absolutely no idea what to write, because I didn't know what was realistic. I didn't want to aim too high in case I was being unrealistic and just setting myself up for disappointment, but I also didn't want to aim too low, because I wanted to push myself!

As a result of that^ (which I think would be common tbh), I never really had a goal ATAR as such - I just wanted to do as well as I could. All of the courses I was interested in pursuing through Year 12 didn't need a particularly high ATAR, so that wasn't a huge motivating factor, either.

But were there times through Year 12 where I was scared I wouldn't do as well as hoped? Absolutely. Most days haha.

Also what are your study tips in general?

Tough one. Here are ten broad tips. Happy to elaborate on any if you're interested. :)

And further maths is prob my worst subject, I am doing many practice exams and marking down what I need to improve but on every exam I get like 67 percent ):

What are you losing marks on mostly?

Also random, since you liked MAFS, are you are fan of love island or the bachelor?

MAFS feels like so long ago haha. I've never watched Love Island and have no interest in it. The Bachelor - yep, but less and less. I think shows like this are really hitting saturation point. How about you? :)

Thank you so much!

No worries at all!

Also, it's comforting to know that you did scaled down subjects and still got an amazing score because every single subject of mine is scaled down and yeah, it's worrying because I need an 80 plus.

Yeah, through VCE I was quite concerned about this, but now I have a better understanding of what scaling is and how it functions. If you're "punished" by doing subjects that scale down, what that scaling is actually doing is just negating the "advantage" you have of less competitive cohorts in your subjects. All in all, things are level, meaning you can be confident that you won't be positively or negatively affected in a substantial way. :)

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #191 on: October 21, 2019, 06:59:44 pm »
+1
What was your biggest VCE regret? Also, how did you deal with stress? ;D

yourfriendlyneighbourhoodghost

• Forum Obsessive
  • sleep now and dream, study now and live your dream
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #192 on: October 22, 2019, 07:08:09 pm »
No, thank you! The value of ATAR Notes comes from the people of ATAR Notes, including you and everybody reading this. I love the forum, too! 😍

Not really. At the start of Year 11, I was asked to write down my goal ATAR as some sort of motivation tool, and I really had absolutely no idea what to write, because I didn't know what was realistic. I didn't want to aim too high in case I was being unrealistic and just setting myself up for disappointment, but I also didn't want to aim too low, because I wanted to push myself!

As a result of that^ (which I think would be common tbh), I never really had a goal ATAR as such - I just wanted to do as well as I could. All of the courses I was interested in pursuing through Year 12 didn't need a particularly high ATAR, so that wasn't a huge motivating factor, either.

But were there times through Year 12 where I was scared I wouldn't do as well as hoped? Absolutely. Most days haha.

Tough one. Here are ten broad tips. Happy to elaborate on any if you're interested. :)

What are you losing marks on mostly?

MAFS feels like so long ago haha. I've never watched Love Island and have no interest in it. The Bachelor - yep, but less and less. I think shows like this are really hitting saturation point. How about you? :)

No worries at all!

Yeah, through VCE I was quite concerned about this, but now I have a better understanding of what scaling is and how it functions. If you're "punished" by doing subjects that scale down, what that scaling is actually doing is just negating the "advantage" you have of less competitive cohorts in your subjects. All in all, things are level, meaning you can be confident that you won't be positively or negatively affected in a substantial way. :)

1. I am really into love island at the moment haha. In regards to the bachelor, yeah it's kind of losing its each edge a bit, which saddens me because I used to love the show, still do though.

2. In regards to further, when I complete the practice exams, I think I'm doing really really well. Then I get to marking, and for some reason a lot of answers I thought were correct are actually wrong. To be honest, most of the time it was silly mistakes which I don't really know how to avoid during a timed condition.

3. Also, with uni, how was your experience? Like we're you a popular kid in school and did your popularity influence your social life at uni at all? For me, I am quite selective and find it hard to introduce myself without being awkward, all my school friends are lowkey socially awkward which might explain how we got to be friends haha.

Thank you again, I really appreciate your time  :)
2018: Studio Arts [37]
2019: English [38] Psychology [38] Vis Com [36] Software Development [40] Further Maths [35]
ATAR: 87.95 ❤️

2020-2023 Bachelor of Arts @ Unimelb

kjistsehrtot

• Trendsetter
  • pew pew. (>‿◠)
  • Respect: +60
« Reply #193 on: October 22, 2019, 07:43:45 pm »
+1
youre basically a god in these forums. however, how did you find out about an?? (the master was once a student)
taking a break.

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #194 on: October 22, 2019, 08:07:26 pm »
Hey Nick,
I know VCE was a while ago for you but do you remember what kind of marks you were receiving throughout the year and did you got to an underrepresented school or not?
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP