Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:42:14 pm

Author Topic: The Relationship Between Hobbies and Study  (Read 5041 times)

LarFrogley

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +2
The Relationship Between Hobbies and Study
« on: August 25, 2019, 06:11:09 pm »
+3
Hi All,

As someone who does not have many hobbies, I often find it quite difficult to study, feeling as though there is nothing else I can do with my time often makes it hard to get motivated. I have some friends within the music industry and was recently thinking about possibly picking up an instrument, as something to break up the time.

I wanted to get opinions from people who play instruments, as to whether they believe it helps or hinders their study and why. Another direction I have thought about was exercising frequently, going for bike rides and etc. however, I find that I have a lot of trouble finding motivation there due to issues with anxiety.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing from anyone :)
Spoiler alert
don't look
Dumb, male, and ready to fail.

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
  • Respect: +599
Re: The Relationship Between Hobbies and Study
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 06:34:50 pm »
+8
Hi!

To answer your question, I am a piano player, and have been playing for years now. Picking up an instument is defiently helpful to go alongside your studies, as it definetly relaxes your mind during study breaks. The only way it can hinder your study is IF you decide to do exams for the instrument, which can take a lot of time to prepare for. Otherwise, if you are just going for a few lessons, and. learning songs that you enjoy for pleasure, it is definetly worthwhile giving it a shot! I think it will definetly help with studies as well.

And I really understand what you mean by excercise. For me, I like to draw and do art in my free time, as well as play the piano. I think it is a great way to pass the extra time when your not studying.

Good luck!

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 08:23:39 pm »
+4
Hey,
I’ve played clarinet since year 3, and am starting to learn (self-teach) both saxophone and guitar. It’s a little different for me because I did music as a subject in yr 12, and now at uni. During year 12, I’d try to slot my practise in between studying and my other extra-curriculars. It was something I really enjoyed because it distracted me from my other subjects while I was practising and I found it fun to focus on my 4 HSC pieces, band and school musical.

I think with picking up an instrument, you can choose how much time you want to spend doing it. E.g: If you really enjoy playing you can do lessons and AMEB exams (which I do agree can be a lot of work). However, you could also just self-teach (there’s heaps of Youtube videos and books), or join a school band. As a complete beginner, you really only need to spend around 15-20 minutes a day, to start making improvements, so it doesn’t need to be a huge chunk of time. You can also learn both pieces and genres that your interested in.

It definitely would be great to find a hobby or extra-curricular to fit in the gaps around your study!

Hope this helps!! :D
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 08:26:46 pm by katie,rinos »
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

JZPrime27

• Fresh Poster
  • Melbourne HS 2021
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 08:29:30 pm »
+5
For sure. Having cocurriculars definitely helps. I play piano and trombone, do debating, cadets and play basketball, and I find that my schedule is so full, that I have to study, and its not like I dont have time free, I just dont have enough time to constantly procrastinate. Also, I consider these hobbies to be 'fun' so I dont mind doing them and they dont burden me in any way
2020:

2021:
Chem 3/4:
Physics 3/4:
Spesh 3/4:
Methods 3/4:
English 3/4:

LarFrogley

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 08:48:45 pm »
I think, if I do decide to go down the path of an instrument, it would be a guitar of some sort, as I have played a teensie bit, and that's the field of the people I know. I also don't know that I'd go as far as lessons, as I live in the back of nowhere and haven't heard much good about the teachers at school; more of a spare time, learn guitar instead of sitting on Facebook kinda thing. However, I don't want to make an investment, get a week into it and realise I'm not having any fun and that it's just making me angry - the lack of laughing emoji makes me uncomfortable, as I pass everything off as jokes, whoopsie.
Spoiler alert
don't look
Dumb, male, and ready to fail.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 04:36:21 pm »
I find that exercise also complements my study, so don't rule out a good bike ride or swim. I love watching short dance workout videos in my bedroom. They lift my energy and my mood and help me concentrate better when I sit back down to study.

blueycan

• MOTM: AUG 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 04:49:55 pm »
+2
Having something to do other than just focus on studying is something that gets me through the day.
When you have a commitment to a thing other than school, it not only keeps you busy, but keeps you motivated. You may find yourself saying, "Well, if I could learn this song in two weeks, I can easily smash out these practice questions."
It's also fun  ;D Something to build your spirits. I'd say go for it! You really have nothing to lose and won't find out what works for you until you try it.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 05:16:04 pm »
+3
I found during high school (and it still applies in uni) that exercise is really great for my mental health and ability to focus on schoolwork. I've always sucked at just going for a run or doing stuff independently though so I play soccer because I find it heaps easier to participate in a team sport. And some days I just have to force myself to go outside for a walk which I find useful to clear my mind.

I also taught myself how to knit last year! I've found that to be a good hobby. I really like it because I use my hands and am still making something even when I'm procrastinating or when I'm feeling anxious and feel like I can't do anything! I also find it tends to clear my mind because I have to just focus on what I'm doing at present :)

Honestly whilst it's nice to have motivation to study, a certain amount also has to come from self-discipline. I'm definitely not motivated to study probably 95% of the time (I mean, who wants to study after they've spent the whole day at school?!) so I've found that I just have to make to do lists that are broken down into the specific things I need to do, and I just force myself to sit down and work through the list to the best of my ability.

EllingtonFeint

• Trendsetter
  • Offering private tutoring ✨
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 08:57:08 am »
+1
I definitely find learning/practising an instrument is a good way to destress!
In between practise exams, I'd always spend like 30-60 minutes playing songs on the piano just to stop myself obsessing over my exams and to kinda chill out a bit, so I definitely recommend!!  :)
Biology 🌱 [49] |  English [47]

Surviving and Succeeding in Biology:
https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=187145.msg1129188