Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 07:53:47 pm

Author Topic: Victorian Election  (Read 11064 times)  Share 

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Victorian Election
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2018, 09:35:55 pm »
+1
Ok thank you.

That sounds nice and easy. It's a little scary as this is my first time voting, I dunno what to expect.

I am still kinda unsure who I am voting for. But I am reading up on my local candidates and vote for whomever feels right.

From my perspective it is 'bigger picture' (e.g. party rather than candidate). All the years i've voted, I have voted the party rather than the candidate (as we know, candidates can come and go). Definitely do what you feel is right and don't let anybody (e.g. person handing out flyers, family etc) influence your decision in any way. And please don't donkey vote. Seats are sometimes won on the slimmest of margins - it is critical to take the vote seriously especially in a marginal seat.

You get given 2 slips first one is a simple 1-6 preference list (depending on where you live, could be less/more) and the second is either writing 1 above the line or specific preferences below. That's it! Once done, fold it up and put it in the correct box.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 09:39:52 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2018, 09:38:48 pm »
Also, it’s totally fine to put someone first even if they’ve got no hope of winning - your vote will just keep moving down your list of preferences (sort of like VTAC applications actually hahahahaha)
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

technodisney

• MOTM: AUG 2018
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Master Procrastinator
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2018, 09:40:25 pm »
From my perspective it is 'bigger picture' (e.g. party rather than candidate). All the years i've voted, I have voted the party rather than the candidate (as we know, candidates can come and go). Definitely do what you feel is right and don't let anybody (e.g. person handing out flyers, family etc) influence your decision in any way. And please don't donkey vote. Seats are sometimes won on the slimmest of margins - it is critical to take the vote seriously especially in a marginal seat.

The problem with the parties is that what I would prefer to vote for some hybird party. Both Labor and Liberal hav some good values/ideas, but then also some ones I don't particularly agree with.

At this point it is just super tricky to come to a decision of one.

Also, it’s totally fine to put someone first even if they’ve got no hope of winning - your vote will just keep moving down your list of preferences (sort of like VTAC applications actually hahahahaha)
Yeah I understand that. I'm not going to not vote for someone just because they have close to 0 chance of winning anyways.
My Informatics 3/4 SAT Guide

Methods, BusMan, EngLang, Informatics, VET IT
technodisney's VCE Journal
Cert IV Live Production and Technical Services RMIT (City Campus)
technodisney's journey into Live Theatre
The Disney Nerd needs to get fit

The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else, which makes you unique. ~ Walt Disney

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2018, 09:42:24 pm »
+2
I guess another consideration is the consequence of voting for a party that isn't one of the main two - you need to have an understanding of where their preferences are flowing as you may end up blindly voting for a party you didn't intend on voting for in the first place. It's very tough to find a party where you agree with absolutely everything that they are offering. My vote that I cast yesterday was for the party that I thought best offered policies that were of interest to me and the ones that didn't offer much / full of crap, they were towards the end of my pref list.

Don't let it sway you, i'm just saying be informed before you actually vote for x or y party. :)

also, can I just say that i am FREAKING over the 'what kind of guy is matthew guy' ads on TV. They are seriously shitting me.
Saturday cannot come quick enough.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 09:50:01 pm by Aaron »

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2018, 10:05:54 pm »
+3
Just a PSA that the VEC will have details about the candidates running for your seat/for your region in the upper house. Parties have to lodge their "how to vote" cards with them so you can have a look at them to see who the parties preference and all that.

RE: candidate vs party, I think it's important to consider both. Definitely research the policies of the parties, but also make sure you look at what the candidates are promising for your seat. The candidate I put as first preference isn't in the party I'd say my views align with the most, but I saw them as being the best option to do good things for my seat, so I decided to go with them.

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2018, 11:09:25 pm »
+1
With the Liberal's rhetoric on crime, police and youth justice, I feel very angsty about this election- I'm waiting for it to be over (thankfully I'm busy over the next few days, especially Saturday).
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 11:10:58 pm by appleandbee »
VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2018, 09:44:40 am »
+3

As I understand, the amount of public funding you get is determined by the first preference votes. So it actually makes sense to support whichever party you like best first and then preference the big party you like best second, unless of course you like the big parties.

With the Liberal's rhetoric on crime, police and youth justice, I feel very angsty about this election- I'm waiting for it to be over (thankfully I'm busy over the next few days, especially Saturday).

It has been an absolutely appalling campaign by the liberals. The way they’ve used the Bourke st events to their advantage is pathetic. Likewise, Labor hasn’t done a good job of handling it. All the grandstanding on this issue by the government has been ugly. Take for example the state funeral for one of the victims. As much as he was admired in his local community, he wouldn’t have had a state funeral outside of an election campaign. Ugly politics.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

wog_boy22

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2018, 11:30:49 pm »
Less than two days until Election Day and the latest polls released tonight speak for themselves.
Highly doubt Matthew Guy will be premier on Saturday night...

The Age has it at 46-54
https://www.theage.com.au/politics/victoria/victorian-election-2018-this-is-one-poll-that-matthew-guy-cannot-wish-away-20181122-p50hqu.html

Herald sun has it 47-53
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 11:36:52 pm by wog_boy22 »
2019:
- VCE Accounting 1/2

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2018, 11:52:39 pm »
+3
Less than two days until Election Day and the latest polls released tonight speak for themselves.
Highly doubt Matthew Guy will be premier on Saturday night...

The Age has it at 46-54
https://www.theage.com.au/politics/victoria/victorian-election-2018-this-is-one-poll-that-matthew-guy-cannot-wish-away-20181122-p50hqu.html

Herald sun has it 47-53

was never going to win it due to the catastrophe that is the federal government (whether we like it or not, performance at the federal level does have an impact)... along with (imo) extremely weak and minimal education policies.

- Declaring to remove the safe injecting room imo is a massive mistake
- Removing Safe Schools is a massive mistake. The 'Alannah and Madeleine Foundation' program actually already exists in alot of schools (branded as eSmart), given Guy said during the debate last night that 'cyberbullying' is the biggest form of bullying/discrimination.
- As soon as Guy mentioned the idea of religious instruction in secondary schools, it immediately made me not want to vote for the Liberals. I believe that given secondary schools are free, open and accessible to all, religious instruction has no place as part of the main program in any way whatsoever. If parents want their children to receive such instruction during school hours, they should be sending them to an independent school or a catholic school (depending on faith/beliefs and affiliations).

Guy has got no idea punnnnnnnn

« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 11:56:49 pm by Aaron »

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2018, 12:28:59 am »

Still a bit nervous though because many people (from various parts of the political spectrum) seem very taken by the tough on crime and at-risk youth approach
VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2018, 09:35:04 am »
was never going to win it due to the catastrophe that is the federal government (whether we like it or not, performance at the federal level does have an impact)... along with (imo) extremely weak and minimal education policies.

- Declaring to remove the safe injecting room imo is a massive mistake
- Removing Safe Schools is a massive mistake. The 'Alannah and Madeleine Foundation' program actually already exists in alot of schools (branded as eSmart), given Guy said during the debate last night that 'cyberbullying' is the biggest form of bullying/discrimination.
- As soon as Guy mentioned the idea of religious instruction in secondary schools, it immediately made me not want to vote for the Liberals. I believe that given secondary schools are free, open and accessible to all, religious instruction has no place as part of the main program in any way whatsoever. If parents want their children to receive such instruction during school hours, they should be sending them to an independent school or a catholic school (depending on faith/beliefs and affiliations).

Agreed!

Matthew Guy is a conservative and also happens to be super religious, just like Morrison. I wouldn't vote for him as his religion impedes his judgement imo. That idea that he mentions, shows this, but I think he is trying to appeal to the "base" of the liberals. 

As for Safe schools... lmao, he is such a massive hypocrite. Says one thing but does the other. Get out of here.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2018, 12:04:54 pm »
+4
It's been a really bizarre approach by the Liberals tbh. Victoria has been a fairly progressive state for the best part of twenty years now, and that has been evident in both our Labor and our Liberal governments. As far as I understand it, but Baillieu and Napthine were well and truly moderate Liberals, and so was Guy at one point too. There's been a general shift in the Victorian Liberal party to the Right, largely because of Kroger and Bastiaan playing funny buggers in the party. Perhaps that's pushed Guy in that direction? Either way, it's a moronic idea.

Thought the Liberals might have got a good run out of the Bourke St attack but it appears not to have paid dividends for them.

Has also been a dreadful week for the Greens, who have been in a more realistic position to cause trouble for Labor than the Liberals have. Personally, I expected that the Greens would pick up more seats this weekend and potentially be rewarded with the balance of power if Labor didn't see a reasonable swing. The way they've handled the issues surrounding their candidate for Footscray (tl;dr he rapped about beating women and they were all like yeah nah that's ok people change) is mindboggling. For all my whinging about the Greens here, they've always been ahead of the curve as far as DV is concerned and in terms of women's rights (you could argue too much at times, seeing as the fact they're using their near total absence of male MPs as a positive), so I just can't fathom how a party built on that kind of core could vacate the space so cravenly when one of their candidates pulls a stunt like that. Compounding their problems last night are allegations that their candidate for Sandringham raped someone (he has been stood down).

Also, an aside on shoring up the base. The fact that that argument has currency in the Liberal party, and to a lesser extent in the Labor party (v Greens), really highlights just how moronic politicians can be at times. Shoring up the base is only useful insofar as it encourages people to get out and vote, which works fantastically well in the US where voting is optional, but not so much here when everyone has to vote anyway. The secondary argument that it is necessary to pander to the base to retain support that would otherwise go to One Nation is also absurd. One Nation isn't in a realistic position to take any seats in the Lower House (federally or Vic) and therefore the Liberals could expect those who defect to One Nation to come back to the Liberals by preferences in droves, making perhaps the most minute of contributions to the outcome. Meanwhile, the abundance of votes in the centre, that would otherwise end up with the Labor party are ignored.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2018, 10:39:28 am »
+4
Reminder that you can still vote even if you forgot to enrol.

https://www.vec.vic.gov.au/Enrolment/

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2018, 11:16:21 am »
does anyone know if you have to vote in your own electorate or can you go to a different one and do it?

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2018, 11:17:05 am »
does anyone know if you have to vote in your own electorate or can you go to a different one and do it?

I believe different is fine.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.