Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:13:02 pm

Author Topic: Remembering Conics Formulae  (Read 1432 times)  Share 

frog1944

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
Remembering Conics Formulae
« on: March 13, 2017, 06:21:13 pm »
Hi,

If we remember various formulae for conics such as the equations of tangents, ellipses, chords, and chords of contacts are we allowed to utilise them in the exam? I'm aware if the question specifically asked you to prove the equation for a tangent to an ellipse you can't simply state it. But for questions such as the following:"From what external point are tangents to the ellipse drawn so that is the equation of the chord of contact" (New Senior Mathematics Extension 2 Ex 4.4 Q25)
In the answers it appears as those they just "knew" the general equation for the chord of contact already.

Are we also allowed to quote and use the sum and product of trig functions? (New Senior Mathematics use it in their proof for the equation of the chord on an ellipse and hyperbola)

Thanks

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: Remembering Conics Formulae
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 06:40:25 pm »
In general, NO.

Of course, you're obviously going to have to know the equation of an ellipse is \( \frac{x^2}{a^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2}=1\). But quoting stuff related to tangents and stuff is NOT acceptable unless they give it to you in the exam.

That there, is a textbook. They don't want to make a textbook too massive, so their worked solutions will omit some details. This is NOT reflective of what you should do in the exam.

Sum-to-product has had much debate. I recommend learning the derivations for them instead to be on the safe side (I mean, they are easy to derive).

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
Re: Remembering Conics Formulae
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 07:13:49 pm »
Hi,

If we remember various formulae for conics such as the equations of tangents, ellipses, chords, and chords of contacts are we allowed to utilise them in the exam? I'm aware if the question specifically asked you to prove the equation for a tangent to an ellipse you can't simply state it. But for questions such as the following:"From what external point are tangents to the ellipse drawn so that is the equation of the chord of contact" (New Senior Mathematics Extension 2 Ex 4.4 Q25)
In the answers it appears as those they just "knew" the general equation for the chord of contact already.

Are we also allowed to quote and use the sum and product of trig functions? (New Senior Mathematics use it in their proof for the equation of the chord on an ellipse and hyperbola)

Thanks

Personally, by the time the HSC came around, I'm pretty sure I had memorised most general forms of most things vaguely related to the Maths curriculum. This was just a result of doing so many goddamned questions. However, I would derive them every time, and then use my knowledge to 'check' that I got it right. The main benefit was that, if I somehow got something wrong, I could go back and fudge the numbers until I got a result that I knew to be true. So, knowing the general theorums and results is helpful, but you will need to do the relevant derivations in an exam situation.
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

frog1944

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2