Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 09:54:01 pm

Author Topic: HSC Modern History Question Thread  (Read 350133 times)  Share 

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
Re: HSC Modern History Question Thread
« Reply #1200 on: July 27, 2018, 08:51:19 pm »
Okay so I got this question in class, and we were meant to do an in class timed practice, except everyone realised they didn't know how to attack it and we all stalled the teacher for time :D

But I really want to have a go at it, and I dunno how to approach it. Wrote two intros and both were garbage. Send help

So here's the question

Evaluate the Tet Offensive as a turning point in the Second Indochina Conflict up to 1979.
Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions

NikolinaJ14

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1201 on: July 27, 2018, 11:01:56 pm »
Hello,

I was wondering how long the personality responses should be, both part a and part b?

Thank you.

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #1202 on: July 28, 2018, 12:49:18 am »
Hello,

I was wondering how long the personality responses should be, both part a and part b?

Thank you.

Hi!

The recommended word count for Part A is 400 words, and Part B is 600 words. :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

vic321

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1203 on: July 28, 2018, 03:27:53 pm »
Hi,

For Core WWI, if our exam is on trench warfare, would we talk about weaponry and gas??

Thanks

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1204 on: July 28, 2018, 04:21:17 pm »
+4
Hi,

For Core WWI, if our exam is on trench warfare, would we talk about weaponry and gas??

Thanks

Hey,

Sure you can - weaponry and gas were a part of trench warfare.

Okay so I got this question in class, and we were meant to do an in class timed practice, except everyone realised they didn't know how to attack it and we all stalled the teacher for time :D

But I really want to have a go at it, and I dunno how to approach it. Wrote two intros and both were garbage. Send help

So here's the question

Evaluate the Tet Offensive as a turning point in the Second Indochina Conflict up to 1979.

Hi!

I didn't study this topic, so I won't be of much help. Maybe the notes here might be useful?

However, I would structure this essay with the syllabus points, with the first paragraph on the Tet Offensive. Make sure to argue that the Tet Offensive was a significant/insignificant turning point and integrate your argument in the rest of your paragraphs!

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 04:36:06 pm by fantasticbeasts3 »
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #1205 on: July 28, 2018, 04:43:15 pm »
+3
Hi,

Thanks
Hey there,
Here are probably some things to consider when there's a question on trench warfare:

Stalemate/attrition warfare (defensive rather than offensive warfare)
Lack of effective tactics ('over the top')
Phosphene, mustard and chlorine gas (gas masks evolved slowly)
New technology wasn't used properly (pretty sure Lord Kitchener called tanks 'pretty little toys') --> even then, technology was still developing so they couldn't rely on technology too much
Trench life was also quite boring (on a "normal" day, soldiers tend to do housekeeping)
Attempts to break the stalemate (Verdun, the Somme, Passchendaele)

Just remember to not make generalised statements about trench warfare- the Western Front ran from the English Channel to the Swiss border so not all trench experiences are the same (some parts of the Western Front are a lot 'quieter' than other areas).

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1206 on: July 28, 2018, 09:33:47 pm »
Hey guys,
Just a question on gleichschaltung- does this process include the Night of the Long Knives or was it just the Nazi's introduction of policies (e.g. Law for the Protection of the German People, Enabling Act, abolition of trade unions etc.)?
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1207 on: July 28, 2018, 09:51:28 pm »
+1
Hey guys,
Just a question on gleichschaltung- does this process include the Night of the Long Knives or was it just the Nazi's introduction of policies (e.g. Law for the Protection of the German People, Enabling Act, abolition of trade unions etc.)?

Hi!

Just looked through my notes and I've got gleichschaltung written as the Nazi introduction of policies to bring everything under one umbrella, so to speak. In saying this, I don't think it's wrong to say the Night of the Long Knives was a part of gleichschaltung.

Hope this helps!

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1208 on: July 28, 2018, 09:54:44 pm »
Hi!

Just looked through my notes and I've got gleichschaltung written as the Nazi introduction of policies to bring everything under one umbrella, so to speak. In saying this, I don't think it's wrong to say the Night of the Long Knives was a part of gleichschaltung.

Hope this helps!
So would it be worth to talk about the Night of the Long Knives as a paragraph on its own?

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1209 on: July 28, 2018, 10:20:34 pm »
+1
So would it be worth to talk about the Night of the Long Knives as a paragraph on its own?

Yea, I reckon there's enough to write about in one paragraph but it depends on the question :-)

vic321

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1210 on: July 28, 2018, 11:44:59 pm »
Hey there,
Here are probably some things to consider when there's a question on trench warfare:

Stalemate/attrition warfare (defensive rather than offensive warfare)
Lack of effective tactics ('over the top')
Phosphene, mustard and chlorine gas (gas masks evolved slowly)
New technology wasn't used properly (pretty sure Lord Kitchener called tanks 'pretty little toys') --> even then, technology was still developing so they couldn't rely on technology too much
Trench life was also quite boring (on a "normal" day, soldiers tend to do housekeeping)
Attempts to break the stalemate (Verdun, the Somme, Passchendaele)

Just remember to not make generalised statements about trench warfare- the Western Front ran from the English Channel to the Swiss border so not all trench experiences are the same (some parts of the Western Front are a lot 'quieter' than other areas).

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much!

Yea, I reckon there's enough to write about in one paragraph but it depends on the question :-)

Also adding to this, I don't know if it helps but I guess the Night of Long Knives was the first so called 'event' that took place to start coordinating everything. As you may know, at the Night of Long Knives, Hitler ordered his elite SS to kill the SA because he was scared they were potential threats to him. So in saying that by purging the SA army, he was starting the process of gleichshaltung.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, open to feedback!

Mod edit: merged posts - you can quote two posts in one post :-)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 09:32:31 pm by fantasticbeasts3 »

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1211 on: July 29, 2018, 11:30:58 am »
+1
Also adding to this, I don't know if it helps but I guess the Night of Long Knives was the first so called 'event' that took place to start coordinating everything. As you may know, at the Night of Long Knives, Hitler ordered his elite SS to kill the SA because he was scared they were potential threats to him. So in saying that by purging the SA army, he was starting the process of gleichshaltung.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, open to feedback!

You make a valid point :-) In terms of parliamentary stuff, Hitler already gained control of the Reichstag so I wouldn't say the Night of Long Knives was the ~first event but one of the first because stuff already happened before that, you get me?

Love this collaborative vibe going on guys, keep it up! :-)

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #1212 on: July 29, 2018, 09:11:17 pm »
So in turn, would that be appropriate for talking about the nazi consolidation of power? Given it really soldified Hitler by removing his enemies in the SA?

"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1213 on: July 29, 2018, 09:34:18 pm »
+1
So in turn, would that be appropriate for talking about the nazi consolidation of power? Given it really soldified Hitler by removing his enemies in the SA?
Definitely! I was working on a question from the 2017 paper and it was about Nazi Party achieving total power- the Night of the Long Knives should be a short paragraph but you should be able to talk about how it gave the Nazis the opportunity to eliminate political opponents and secure support from the reichswehr.

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1214 on: July 29, 2018, 09:36:36 pm »
+1
So in turn, would that be appropriate for talking about the nazi consolidation of power? Given it really solidified Hitler by removing his enemies in the SA?

Are you talking about the Night of Long Knives? If so, yes bc Hitler wanted the support of the army without the threat of the SA - the support of the army was important so there wouldn't be any pushback in the long run!

Edit: damn owidjaja beat me to it by 43 seconds cya

Definitely! I was working on a question from the 2017 paper and it was about Nazi Party achieving total power- the Night of the Long Knives should be a short paragraph but you should be able to talk about how it gave the Nazis the opportunity to eliminate political opponents and secure support from the reichswehr.

2017 paper... *war flashbacks* but yep, that's right. :-)