Uni Stuff > General University Discussion and Queries

Buying or Bringing Lunch to uni?

(1/2) > >>

pha0015:
One of the bigger questions regarding uni, I'd like to think.

I'm probs going to make my own lunch but I don't know how awkward of an affair that's going to be.
Most people will answer that nobody cares but...

If you guys pack lunch then what is it? Do you guys bring utensils?
How different is it from high school?

I'm going to Monash if that helps.

Aaron:
I found that at uni there were a very limited number of microwaves/self-serve options for lunch. I think it's about luck if anything. At La Trobe it was a pain in the ass to heat up food and you had to wait in a long queue esp. during peak periods. At Monash I was part of the Education faculty which had their own kitchen with microwave which was only used by the students in that faculty so it was better.

Consider the fact that if you aren't earning any money - food at uni is.. well... not as cheap as you'd like it to be. Food hubs during peak times are full of people and you often have to wait a loooong time just to get something (exhibit A: monash clayton subway).

If you're going to pack food make sure it's easily transportable (e.g. in a sealed container etc). I don't think anybody would care if you brought a sandwich or any food - just be considerate and make sure it doesn't reek. I say transportable in a container because you may find limited places to sit and eat lunch so you may end up having to sit on the grass etc. rather than at a table.

--- Quote ---One of the bigger questions regarding uni, I'd like to think.
--- End quote ---
Yeah - Gotta admit that was one of my most exciting discoveries too... the amount of food available. Recommend food vans

AngelWings:
I usually brought my own lunch and bought lunch if I felt like it was a good day or I forgot to bring something with me. I brought my own utensils to minimise having to find some at the restaurants on campus. It saved me a lot of money that way and lots of people did it this way. (Definitely don't bring anything that has a heavy scent though.  :-\ )

If you're at Clayton, you can use the microwaves at Ten North in Campus Centre to (re)heat your lunch. As Aaron said, might take a little while to get to one, unless you know the off-peak times (psst, it's after 1-1:30pm usually). Avoid bringing food that need refrigeration though, as it's kind of rare to find a communal fridge (unless you're a BSci student, there's a fridge in one of the science lounges). You can also buy food on campus. Restaurants are dotted all over campus, as are vending machines with snacks and beverages.   

beatroot:
I usually buy my lunch because a) I’m too lazy to pack up my own lunch b) my cooking skills are limited c) I don’t want to add extra weight to my already heavy bag.

We do have microwaves at my private school which is a big plus! Not sure about other uni’s.

Definitely much more practical bringing your own food. But if you want to treat yo self to buying your own lunch, then go for it aha

Sine:

--- Quote from: pha0015 on January 18, 2019, 02:49:38 pm ---One of the bigger questions regarding uni, I'd like to think.

I'm probs going to make my own lunch but I don't know how awkward of an affair that's going to be.
Most people will answer that nobody cares but...

If you guys pack lunch then what is it? Do you guys bring utensils?
How different is it from high school?

I'm going to Monash if that helps.

--- End quote ---
I'll do either (or both) depending on how I am feeling. Also yes I do take my own utensils since it will probably be a hassle looking for some - if I do forget to bring utensils I'll just use some from a place on campus.

Monash has microwaves and the peak use is probably 1-2pm,  The microwaves are located on the 2nd floor of campus centre or at two locations on the ground level. The microwaves near the boost are probably the least ideal ones to use imo.

Also lines to food places on campus can get really long (especially things like subway and sushi sushi.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version