Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:18:10 pm

Author Topic: is this a normal feeling for uni?  (Read 7243 times)  Share 

*ryan777*

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
is this a normal feeling for uni?
« on: March 10, 2010, 03:16:49 pm »
hey guys, is it normal to feel like im starting to struggle in a few units after just 1.5 weeks of uni?

i knew it wasnt going to be a walk in the park but im starting to feel a bit worried about it now.....

so is this a normal phase most jafies go through or do i really need to step it up a bit?
2010: Bachelor of Economics @ Monash University - Clayton
Sem1: Priciples of Accounting/Finance, Principles of Microeconomics, Business Statistics, Japanese 5
Sem2: Intro to Financial Accounting, Corporate Finance, Principles of Macroeconomics, Japanese 6

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
Re: is this a normal feeling for uni?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 03:32:33 pm »
Definitely normal :) but yes you also do need to step it up. Uni goes at a very fast pace! I'm in third year and I'm still not used to it :P
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

Toothpaste

• pseudospastic
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Member #10
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 03:36:54 pm »
It's good that you're noticing you're having a bit of trouble now rather than at the end of the semester. Last year when I found I had trouble with something I'd just ignore it thinking I'd tackle it later, but later was too late and that piece of shit I never bothered to look at just happened to appear in the exam. I'm just aiming to stay on track with everything this year and not fall behind too far. ... and yeah what ninwa said, it goes pretty quickly. 12 or 13 weeks of teaching, then bang: exams. Just be careful not to crash the jaffycopter too early.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 03:40:12 pm by Toothpaste »

IntoTheNewWorld

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Hello World
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 04:18:21 pm »
I feel behind too =\

*hi5*

*ryan777*

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 04:24:24 pm »
its good to hear im not the only who thinks uni is kinda fast-paced :)

also i heard from some tutor or lecturer that about 20% of 1st year comm students dont even get through 1st year, is this true? and whats the most common reason for this? (since everyone doing comm @ monash got 90+ its not cos they r too dumb is it?)
i doubt ill do *that* bad but stil....
2010: Bachelor of Economics @ Monash University - Clayton
Sem1: Priciples of Accounting/Finance, Principles of Microeconomics, Business Statistics, Japanese 5
Sem2: Intro to Financial Accounting, Corporate Finance, Principles of Macroeconomics, Japanese 6

Muuru

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +39
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 07:05:17 pm »
Well, some people in the commerce degree got in through Monash College or a variety of other means if their ATAR was too low. So no, not everybody doing commerce has an ATAR of 90+.

20% dropping out sounds about right; first year tends to be a big shock to unsuspecting students. Some people just can't cope with the rapid pace at uni, and they only realise that until a semester in - ATAR doesn't really have anything to do with that. You tend to settle down a lot after first year though, so just hang on for now.

But whatever you do, don't fall behind and make vacuous promises to yourself that you'll catch up on material later in semester. You WILL struggle if you do that.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 07:08:12 pm by Muuru »

BA Monash, MTeach Melb., GradCertEd Melb.

Cthulhu

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 07:14:00 pm »
..Fuck when did Uni start?

The drop out rate is people who struggle with it and people who decide that commerce just isn't for them. It's all very fast paced this uni business.

shinny

• VN MVP 2010
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +256
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 07:32:55 pm »
But do remember that you really only need to know half of what you're learning. Don't bring out the OCD bred within you from VCE. Just aim to learn most of the major things and skip the little details.
MBBS (hons) - Monash University

YR11 '07: Biology 49
YR12 '08: Chemistry 47; Spesh 41; Methods 49; Business Management 50; English 43

ENTER: 99.70

ed_saifa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 07:55:27 pm »
You will always be behind in uni, or they're probably not working you hard enough.
[IMG]http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/2506/avatarcg3.png[/img]
(\ /)
(0.o)
(><)
/_|_\

"It's not a community effort"
"It's not allowed. Only death is a valid excuse"
"Probably for the first time time this year I was totally flabbergasted by some of the 'absolute junk' I had to correct .... I was going to use 'crap' but that was too kind a word"
"How can you expect to do well when
-you draw a lemon as having two half-cells connected with a salt bridge
-your lemons come with Cu2+ ions built in" - Dwyer
"Why'd you score so bad?!" - Zotos
"Your arguments are seri

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 08:11:54 pm »

It may help to know that I couldn't handle it when I first started uni.
/Veteran VNers collectively sigh because she's about to tell *that* story again.

I lasted just over a week before I intermitted (it's when you 'defer' during your degree).
I took a huge step back, got a job and just worked for 6 months.
I ended up realising how much I missed learning and consciously chose to go to uni, instead of just taking it for granted that my life was headed that direction.
Of course, I was so scared when I went back to try again mid-year... it was the only thing I'd put my mind to that had ever really beaten me... it was one serious learning curb.

My point is... you guys have lasted longer than I did when I started, and you've certainly all got more resolve than I did.
Right now I'm on an overall HD average... if I can do it, trust me when I say you definitely all can as well.
Get stuck into your work, get help NOW if you need it, and you'll do just fine :)

Besides, if excal can pass business law, everyone can.

*runs*
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

Cataclysmic

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 08:29:31 pm »
yeah I feel like i'm falling behind too =( . Like in my maths class, the lecturer spends like 5 mins on each thing, and just moves on whereas last year,they'd prob spend a week looking at it.
vce 08 it apps
vce 09 eng mm sm phys chi(sl)
uni 10 commerce/aerospace engineering at Monash

Cthulhu

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 08:44:41 pm »
Lecturers need to get through a lot of crap. If its something that you should already have an idea of from high school or previous years they'll maybe give an example or mention it so you can go look it up again if you have to.

Even the lecturer is behind in one of my classes... or am I just eager to learn?

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Here to listen and help
  • Respect: +324
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 08:49:09 pm »
Well, some people in the commerce degree got in through Monash College or a variety of other means if their ATAR was too low. So no, not everybody doing commerce has an ATAR of 90+.

20% dropping out sounds about right; first year tends to be a big shock to unsuspecting students. Some people just can't cope with the rapid pace at uni, and they only realise that until a semester in - ATAR doesn't really have anything to do with that. You tend to settle down a lot after first year though, so just hang on for now.

But whatever you do, don't fall behind and make vacuous promises to yourself that you'll catch up on material later in semester. You WILL struggle if you do that.

Does transferring to another course within the uni still count as "dropping out"?

Bachelor of Science (Mathematics & Statistics) - Discrete Mathematics & Operations Research

/0

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 08:57:51 pm »
At least I'm actually motivated to do my assignments in uni. In highschool I could never properly concentrate on a maths assignment because there would always be an english essay lingering in the background. Here I have no distractions :)

appianway

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 09:02:51 pm »
Maybe it's just my UMEP, but I don't feel that my uni subject's going too quickly whatsoever. Then again, I've done the whole course before...