Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:32:04 pm

Author Topic: Englang 3/4 without 1/2?  (Read 1127 times)  Share 

Donut

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +4
Englang 3/4 without 1/2?
« on: July 21, 2019, 12:50:40 pm »
+2
Hello! I wanted to do 1/2 this year but unfortunately it was full and so I have to resort to doing 3/4 next year. So I was wondering what I should learn this year to prepare for 3/4. Also, is it a good idea to do englang without 1/2 or should I just remain in only mainstream.

Note: I'm not dropping mainstream English, I would just be doing both.

anna.comet

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +12
Re: Englang 3/4 without 1/2?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 01:00:57 pm »
+5
Hey there! Tasty username ahaha.

That sucks that Eng Lang was full this year! If you are really passionate about the subject and really enjoy discussing linguistics, and how people communicate and relate to each other, then I definitely think that Eng Lang is worth pursuing next year!

You'll enjoy 3/4 Eng Lang if you find these questions interesting:
- Why do we speak differently to different people?
- How do we show who we are through our language use?
- How has our Australian identity been influenced and shaped due to our colonial history?
- How do the texts I read try to relate or distance themselves from me? What do they want from me?

If you are interested and passionate enough about the subject, then you will put in the time and mental energy required to complete the Year 12 subject without the Year 11 foundations. With that being said, the biggest thing to prepare for this year before year 12, is learn your metalanguage. On the VCAA study design (https://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/vce/englishlanguage/2016EnglishLanguageSD.pdf), on pages 9 and 10, there is a list of all of the technical terms and language you will be required to use in order to describe the language that authors use when drafting texts. Talk to your friends, the Eng Lang teachers at your school, and ask them which terms they have learnt most thoroughly and which ones they use most frequently, and then familiarise yourself with these.

Further, just make sure that you begin looking at texts and speech not just from the receiving end as the reader/listener, but ask yourself why people have made specific language choices.

I think because you are doing mainstream English that there is no harm in doing both. I did two English subjects last year (Lit and Lang) and I found that they complemented each other really well, and that having practice writing essays really helped improve my scores for both subjects!

Good luck and I hope that you pick English Language!  ;D

iamblossom

• Fresh Poster
  • consider my jimmies rustled
  • Respect: 0
Re: Englang 3/4 without 1/2?
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 07:00:30 pm »
+1
I took the class this year without the 1/2. It's definitely possible to do and do well in as long as you are attentive in class and make sure you ask your teachers about things you don't understand.
Things you should catch up on:

Metalanguage - the vcaa list can be very overwhelming, id recommend asking a teacher at school for somewhere to start. Theres also this - https://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/553173/Guides/Connect%20English%20Language%20Metalanguage%20Bank.pdf

Analytical Commentaries - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqikPT3oH8o This video is a good start. For the introduction I recommend instead the acronym DAS SMRRFF (pronounced das smurf): Domain, Audience, Setting, Social Purpose, Mode, Register, Relationship, Field, Function.

Essays have pretty standard structure so if youre doing well with those in your other classes you'll be fine here too.
please help if i dont get above a 90 atar my mom will extradite me back to africa donate to my paypal cheerio