Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 11:00:11 pm

Author Topic: where did yall find your article examples for englang 3/4?  (Read 1763 times)  Share 

iamblossom

• Fresh Poster
  • consider my jimmies rustled
  • Respect: 0
where did yall find your article examples for englang 3/4?
« on: April 02, 2019, 12:49:59 pm »
+1
I don't know if any of you also had to collect articles but I don't know where we're supposed to get them from. Where has everyone sourced some of the articles from?
please help if i dont get above a 90 atar my mom will extradite me back to africa donate to my paypal cheerio

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: where did yall find your article examples for englang 3/4?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 01:07:58 pm »
+4
I don't know if any of you also had to collect articles but I don't know where we're supposed to get them from. Where has everyone sourced some of the articles from?

Hey! :)

My main methods:
* Going onto Google News, and searching for things I knew would be relevant. So maybe like, "Australia language identity", "euphemism language", or things like that. Broadly topics relevant to English Language.
* Reading the newspapers in the morning before school if I had time - there are often some language issues in these.
* Following linguists on linguistics pages on Facebook, Twitter, and stuff like that (for example.

Have you found any so far? :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

mtDNA

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +55
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 10:25:57 pm »
+4

Hey there!

In addition to what Joseph41 as mentioned, I’d also implore you to like/follow news outlets on social media. For me, I personally felt like a bit of a grandpa reading newspapers lol, so reading news articles - particularly about politics - whilst procrastinating on public transport was super useful. In fact, given it’s an election cycle there’d be plenty of public rhetoric thrown around atm, so have a keen eye about how politicians are carefully choosing their linguistic choices in order to serve their social purposes in those contexts (more or less to get more votes, though you could extend on this and think about how register may be used to effect relationships, and tie in concepts such as face needs and overt/covert prestige).

Hopefully this helps :)

Tutoring by ATAR Notes - learn more!

ATAR: 99.20
Biomedicine (Unimelb): 2018-2020
Doctor of Medicine (Unimelb): 2021-2024

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 07:20:59 am »
+2
I read the news a lot - especially The Conversation.
I'd also think about it whenever I was in a public space & would take pictures of ads etc. Sometimes I'd also print memes, fb posts etc to use as examples. 

Basically,  part of it was about actively looking and another about learning to examine what was already around me. 

theKKCD

• Adventurer
  • Tap here to edit.
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 02:31:24 pm »
+2
One resource that I found really useful for examples was advertising.

A lot of companies are really trying to promote themselves and shift public consciousness so there is a lot of interesting analysis to be done regarding the social purposes of ads and the language within them.
An example that comes to mind is a Youtube ad for Aussie broadband, the guy says that they're "the telco that gives a shit" which is a really intersting use of expletives and shortenings in an Australian context.

Hope that helps!

2017: Economics [41]
2018: Eng Lang [49], Methods [43], Chemistry [47], Psychology [50], Japanese [38]
ATAR: 99.75
2019-2023: UniMelb Bachelor of Science / Master of Engineering

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 04:31:41 pm »
One resource that I found really useful for examples was advertising.

A lot of companies are really trying to promote themselves and shift public consciousness so there is a lot of interesting analysis to be done regarding the social purposes of ads and the language within them.
An example that comes to mind is a Youtube ad for Aussie broadband, the guy says that they're "the telco that gives a shit" which is a really intersting use of expletives and shortenings in an Australian context.

Hope that helps!

Good call. Surely there's a heap of stuff to be said about recent United Australia Party advertising (well, actually, election campaigns in general)!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.