Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 10:03:44 am

Author Topic: How do you recover from a burnout?  (Read 1058 times)  Share 

Mkiryo

• Adventurer
  • tryna find my way around here!
  • Respect: +4
How do you recover from a burnout?
« on: May 14, 2019, 10:39:33 pm »
+1
Hey there! I’m in year 11 and currently doing English, Chemistry, Biology, Legal Studies, Literature and 3/4 Methods. Lately I’ve been in some sort of a slump. I worked really hard during the holidays and caught up with a lot of my work, especially for Methods but then I had a week long school camp where I did no homework at all and ever since then I have had absolutely no motivation to do any work. I’ve searched up someways to deal with a burnout and people advise taking breaks and that’s good and all but what I would like to know is how do I find motivation to do work in the first place and regain my passion for learning. Any ideas?
VCE: 2018-2020
ATAR: 99.4
(finally get to do this!)

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
Re: How do you recover from a burnout?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 09:23:16 am »
+4
Hey there! I’m in year 11 and currently doing English, Chemistry, Biology, Legal Studies, Literature and 3/4 Methods. Lately I’ve been in some sort of a slump. I worked really hard during the holidays and caught up with a lot of my work, especially for Methods but then I had a week long school camp where I did no homework at all and ever since then I have had absolutely no motivation to do any work. I’ve searched up someways to deal with a burnout and people advise taking breaks and that’s good and all but what I would like to know is how do I find motivation to do work in the first place and regain my passion for learning. Any ideas?

Hey Mkiryo!

Focus on your goals.
There's been times where I've been totally flat and unmotivated and I've found that by focusing on your goals and action steps can be a great motivator.

Set yourself small goals that will motivate you every time you complete one and reward yourself - one of my friends was once so unmotivated she bought a block of chocolate and told herself that she could eat it as soon as she had done x amount of questions or completed her HHD homework etc

Visualize the course/ATAR or whatever goal you have and just imagine how amazing it would feel to achieve that.

But taking breaks before you burnout is a surefire way to make sure you don't...as soon as you start feeling like your motivation/mentality is going down hill take a break and do something fun and not school related.
Hope this helps :)
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 04:31:57 pm »
+5
Starting really is the hardest bit sometimes. My suggestion (worked for me sometimes, might not work for everybody): set yourself up in a room with nothing but the work you're focusing on and a glass of water. No phone, no laptop, no other people. Doing this at school or a public library worked best for me because it was harder to just walk into another room where all the distractions were.

It's hard to get out of that slump sometimes, but doing that^ gave me the best opportunity to do so when I wasn't feeling motivated.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

mango8

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +58
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 07:17:20 pm »
+4

As I said to marknicolai192, you need to be mentally and physically strong first. So first step is make sure you're looking after YOU. Do things that bring you joy and don't neglect yourself or else nothing will reap of any of your efforts.

In terms of finding motivation, figure out WHY you're doing this. Reflect on your future goals and aspirations, intended uni and career, even an ATAR goal if you wish. If you don't think of the reasons, it can be very hard to keep persevering. And think of past things you've achieved, and use that as motivation too. There are a tonne of motivational videos on youtube, I find the ones from studytubers who've 'been there and done that' particularly inspiring, check out Unjaded Jade, she is super motivating. When you observe people who did have that discipline, hard work ethic, and perseverance doing tough times, and see all way they climbed to get to the top of the mountain, and see how much they have achieved, it's very inspiring, because you can be that person to if only you make the effort.

You need to take the steps, first for taking care of you and then for just believing in your abilities to achieve whatever you wish to.
All the best and hope you feel better soon! :)

Mkiryo

• Adventurer
  • tryna find my way around here!
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 10:16:05 am »
+1
There are a tonne of motivational videos on youtube, I find the ones from studytubers who've 'been there and done that' particularly inspiring, check out Unjaded Jade, she is super motivating. When you observe people who did have that discipline, hard work ethic, and perseverance doing tough times, and see all way they climbed to get to the top of the mountain, and see how much they have achieved, it's very inspiring, because you can be that person to if only you make the effort.

I completely agree! I love watching Unjaded Jade and other studytubers. Thank you to everyone who replied for taking time out of your day to help me out :)
VCE: 2018-2020
ATAR: 99.4
(finally get to do this!)

smallbean

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 10:45:22 am »
+1
Hey Mkiryo!
I've seen that others have replied with the same below, but watching Studytubers such as Unjaded Jade and Ruby Granger have given be that spark of motivation that I need to keep persevering in Year 12. In particular, I find that watching 'Study With Me' videos and studying alongside a youtuber has helped me a lot, as I could see how hard they were working and was urged to not break my cycle of focus for at least an hour.
I've also found that listening to 'lofi music' or classical music playlists have put me into the mood for studying. Some may find it hard to concentrate with music in the background, but I've found that having a little bit of background noise has made studying for me more motivating and less dull.
Best of luck!  :)
~Class of 2019~
2018: Chinese {SL}

2019: English, Maths Methods, Chemistry, Legal Studies, History Revolutions

2021-2023: Bachelor of Arts @Melb Uni