Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:26:54 am

Author Topic: MHS Yr 10 Entry 2022  (Read 30797 times)  Share 

CHA0021

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
MHS Yr 10 Entry 2022
« on: September 24, 2019, 07:03:33 pm »
So I failed the year 9 test but I still want to get in Year 10.

My friend's older brother who goes to MHS knows some kids who got in via year 10 entry and they said that the test is way harder and they only select sporty people unless you get something like 4 superiors instead of 2.

Can you guys evaluate the truth of this and give further information? I know mentioning cadets in the interview is a very nice and easy hack, are there any more?

Shxh

• Forum Regular
Re: MHS Yr 10 Entry 2022
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 09:05:33 pm »

My friend's older brother who goes to MHS knows some kids who got in via year 10 entry and they said that the test is way harder and they only select sporty people unless you get something like 4 superiors instead of 2.

Can you guys evaluate the truth of this and give further information? I know mentioning cadets in the interview is a very nice and easy hack, are there any more?
Okay so obviously the test is way harder since it’s at a year 10 level, but also mhs looks at co curriculars a lot at year 10 which is a big rip, i tried for mhs this year too and I got 2 superiors, 1 above average, 2 high averages. Got a Pd but failed the application portfolio, waiting for a late offer... What were ur scores?

aspiringantelope

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 09:33:51 pm »

Year 10 Entry puts emphasis on Sport/Co-Curricular and Musical Prowess. There is no "hack" I would say but just a benefit to list extra co-curricular. You definitely need at least 4 Superiors if you are wanting to gain an interview opportunity (academically) where it is grouped AFAIK and the entrance number narrowed down.
MHS has a page just for Year 10 entrance, I suggest you to have a look.

thenuttyprofessor

• Trailblazer
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 09:39:26 pm »
Almost all the Year 10 entry this year have a VERY high level of extra curricular achievement. I'm talking Victorian cricketers, soccer players, table tennis players etc.. According to my friend who does cadets, competition within MHSACU is already very high for leadership places, which is what I would assume is required for Year 10 entry based on cadets extra-curriculars. Don't want to dishearten you, but you must be prepared for the reality which the intense competition and low likelihood of Year 10 entry.

CHA0021

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 10:35:43 pm »
Thanks, guys, helped a lot. But what are the academic "expectations?" Such as how many words can be read in a minute

Shxh

• Forum Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 11:12:56 pm »
Thanks, guys, helped a lot. But what are the academic "expectations?" Such as how many words can be read in a minute
Have you also considered any other schools? Like nossal for example?

aspiringantelope

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2019, 11:20:24 am »
An EduTest and a written application. Go on the website for more details.

CHA0021

• Trailblazer
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 09:11:47 pm »
Are there going to be the same 5 subjects like the yr 9 test or are they different?

What subjects will I need to study?

(Maths isn't a subject, Fractions are)

Nature

• Trailblazer
  • 忍耐が成功の鍵です ❀
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2019, 09:33:00 pm »
Are there going to be the same 5 subjects like the yr 9 test or are they different?

What subjects will I need to study?

(Maths isn't a subject, Fractions are)
There are Numerical Reasoning, Verbal Reasoning, Maths, Reading Comprehension, Creative Writing and Persuasive Writing. 6 components.

Shxh

• Forum Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2019, 11:11:45 pm »

I’m also trying for mhs year 10, and I’m planning on learning 2 instruments (piano and violin) and get decent grades on them. And yes you do need 4 superiors.

CHA0021

• Trailblazer
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2019, 11:16:39 pm »
Almost all the Year 10 entry this year have a VERY high level of extra curricular achievement. I'm talking Victorian cricketers, soccer players, table tennis players etc.. According to my friend who does cadets, competition within MHSACU is already very high for leadership places, which is what I would assume is required for Year 10 entry based on cadets extra-curriculars. Don't want to dishearten you, but you must be prepared for the reality which the intense competition and low likelihood of Year 10 entry.

So basically I dont have to have any extra curricular activities if i get 4-6 sups

MAN0033

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2019, 11:24:31 pm »
What were your scores CHA0021. I got 2 superiors, 1 above and 2 highs. Didn't make NHS but trying for JMSS next year

Ashg

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2019, 11:33:34 pm »
Hi guys I am new to Atar notes and I didn't achieve a spot in Selective should I try out in year 10?

AMC for life

• Trendsetter
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2019, 11:06:21 am »
Hi guys I didn't get into suzanne or mus in year 9 entry and I wanted to apply for both schools for year 10 entry. Can somebody tell me what extra subjects are in the tests and if suzanne is significantly easier than mhs

SanchaTheSeeker

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2019, 01:06:57 am »
Hi guys I didn't get into suzanne or mus in year 9 entry and I wanted to apply for both schools for year 10 entry. Can somebody tell me what extra subjects are in the tests and if suzanne is significantly easier than mhs

Same tests as Year 8 into Year 9 entry, but harder of course. SCHS and MHS use the exact same test, Can't comment on whether it's easier to get into MHS or SCHS but I suggest checking out their websites and talking to people who were in the same boat as you
“Our life is a constant journey, from birth to death. The landscape changes, the people change, our needs change, but the train keeps moving. Life is the train, not the station.”

― Paulo Coelho

Train nerd, Venturer Scout, and JMSS hoomun

JMSS guide: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=189547

ig: @sfaunncgha