Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:03:44 am

Author Topic: CHEMISTRY PRACTICAL  (Read 2738 times)  Share 

FloraD

• Adventurer
  • You've got this!!!
  • Respect: 0
CHEMISTRY PRACTICAL
« on: April 27, 2022, 07:39:07 pm »
Hi guys, I have an upcoming chemistry practical exam. Any tips on preparing for this?
Literally any tips will do, I am so lost. :)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: CHEMISTRY PRACTICAL
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2022, 03:26:51 pm »
+3
Make sure you're on top of scientific principles and understand how that could apply to a prac for this topic.

Make sure you know your content as per usual for an assessment — you want to know what's happening and why.

Practical focused exam style questions can also be useful here. 

If you have more specific questions or information I might be able to help more. 

Hope this helps :)

FloraD

• Adventurer
  • You've got this!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2022, 05:12:06 pm »
Yes this helps!
Also when you say scientific principles what do you mean by that? Also is there any place where I can find practical focused exam style questions? And is there any specific content apart from the module that I am working on, that I should know (like stuff from previous years or anything)?

Thanks

FloraD

• Adventurer
  • You've got this!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2022, 09:51:12 pm »
Hi so my chemistry prac is based on the heat of combustion, and since I'm currently doing Module 7 I'm kind of confused on what exactly I should focus on and how to prepare, any ideas?

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2022, 12:20:51 pm »
+1
Yes this helps!
Also when you say scientific principles what do you mean by that? Also is there any place where I can find practical focused exam style questions? And is there any specific content apart from the module that I am working on, that I should know (like stuff from previous years or anything)?

Thanks

Great!

I mean being on top of your working scientifically skills like variable identification (also see pg 46 of the syllabus).

I'm only partially familiar with the requirements of the NSW syllabuses but generally being on top of your science skills + the relevant content is what you want to focus on for a prac exam. Generally past exam questions will include some more practical focused ones but I recommend talking to your teacher to see if you can practice using past practical exam resources.

Hi so my chemistry prac is based on the heat of combustion, and since I'm currently doing Module 7 I'm kind of confused on what exactly I should focus on and how to prepare, any ideas?

Make sure you're very familiar with how to use the relevant calculations (e.g. Q=mc[delta]T) and how to use them, also consider sources of uncertainty (e.g. loss of heat to the environment) and what could be done to minimise those. The syllabus should be your friend here - check how confident you are with the relevant dot points