Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:12:46 am

Author Topic: Writing a Effective Bussiness Studies Extended Response  (Read 4289 times)  Share 

TarrickS

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Writing a Effective Bussiness Studies Extended Response
« on: March 31, 2020, 02:55:11 pm »
Hello All
i was just wondering if anyone could give me some tips in writing a effective Band 6 extended response,
preferably if those tips could relate to writing under exam conditions as well

Thanks in Advance :D :)

Grace0702

• MOTM: OCT 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +32
Re: Writing a Effective Bussiness Studies Extended Response
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 01:55:08 pm »
+4
Hey!

I remember in year 12 my teacher was constantly at me to improve my extended responses because that is where I would always lose most of my marks so here are a few tips i learnt.

- Know the syllabus - this is more of a general tip but still you need to know the syllabus to be able to write a good response. I will always stress how important this is. All your questions will come from the syllabus so knowing what you can be assessed on is so important. Plus you need to be able to identify what syllabus dot points will be relevant to the question you chose to answer

- Plan! - Now this one is commonly overlooked by most students, but a plan is vital to a B6 extended response. In my trial and HSC the first thing I did in reading time was open the exam book and look at the extended response questions and start planning in my head (never do the multiple choice in the reading time, this time is so much more valuable looking at the extended responses and then short answer).  Once reading time was over I then dedicated 5 mins to planning both my business report and my essay, this was just a very brief plan, but ensured when I came back to write my responses later on I would be able to dive straight in and not have to worry about where to start. I would plan my paragraphs, what case studies I would use and knowing the specific syllabus points to talk about really helps you speed through this process.

- High modality - One way to make your writing really strong is to be persuasive, even when the question isn't really asking you to be. Throwing in words like "imperative, crucial, critical, vital, pivotal," really strengthens your response and lets the marker know that you are confident .

- Have a strong thesis. Your first sentence has to be good, it is the first thing the marker will see! Use judgement and be sure to take a stance on the question.

These are just a few tips that worked for me, if you have any more specific questions feel free to ask  :)
HSC 2019: Advanced Maths 92 || Standard English 89 || Physics 80 || Business Studies
95 || Information Processes and Technology 94 || Studies of Religion 1 45

ATAR: 96.05

2020: B Engineering/B Commerce @USYD

TarrickS

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Writing a Effective Bussiness Studies Extended Response
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 03:07:49 pm »
Hey!

I remember in year 12 my teacher was constantly at me to improve my extended responses because that is where I would always lose most of my marks so here are a few tips i learnt.

- Know the syllabus - this is more of a general tip but still you need to know the syllabus to be able to write a good response. I will always stress how important this is. All your questions will come from the syllabus so knowing what you can be assessed on is so important. Plus you need to be able to identify what syllabus dot points will be relevant to the question you chose to answer

- Plan! - Now this one is commonly overlooked by most students, but a plan is vital to a B6 extended response. In my trial and HSC the first thing I did in reading time was open the exam book and look at the extended response questions and start planning in my head (never do the multiple choice in the reading time, this time is so much more valuable looking at the extended responses and then short answer).  Once reading time was over I then dedicated 5 mins to planning both my business report and my essay, this was just a very brief plan, but ensured when I came back to write my responses later on I would be able to dive straight in and not have to worry about where to start. I would plan my paragraphs, what case studies I would use and knowing the specific syllabus points to talk about really helps you speed through this process.

- High modality - One way to make your writing really strong is to be persuasive, even when the question isn't really asking you to be. Throwing in words like "imperative, crucial, critical, vital, pivotal," really strengthens your response and lets the marker know that you are confident .

- Have a strong thesis. Your first sentence has to be good, it is the first thing the marker will see! Use judgement and be sure to take a stance on the question.

These are just a few tips that worked for me, if you have any more specific questions feel free to ask  :)

Thank you very much for that :D