Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:02:23 pm

Author Topic: Advice for Studying Japanese  (Read 7049 times)  Share 

shari_towns

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Advice for Studying Japanese
« on: October 22, 2018, 05:16:12 pm »
みんなさんこんにちは、

I am looking for some advice on studying for Japanese Continuers! Although I can speak Japanese well thanks to my year on exchange before starting Year 11, I’m not sure how to properly study and get prepared for exams. I would love to hear what people think is the best way to study Japanese for the HSC! Any advice, methods, or tips would be greatly appreciated.

ありがとう〜

liladh

• Adventurer
  • ☆☆☆☆☆
  • Respect: +12
Re: Advice for Studying Japanese
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 11:31:33 am »
+7
シャリさん, こんにちは!

That's great that you are looking for advice on studying Japanese Continuers! I just did my continuers exam on Tuesday, and can I say its been a wild ride! (Fingers crossed for results day!!!!) As for advice for studying Japanese continuers, everyone goes about it in a different way but here are a few tips that I picked up along the way.  :)

- Start early with learning your Kanji! By studying and learning all of the continuers kanji now, you will have a major advantage when it comes to your exams. Here is a quizlet that I made during my HSC of all of the prescribed continuers kanji:

https://quizlet.com/333076994/japanese-continuers-prescribed-kanji-flash-cards/?new

Go through these flashcards throughout the year and practice writing them as well as recognition, I did this by writing out the same kanji multiple times throughout the year. If you are able to both recognise and write kanji without having to use the dictionary, you will save so much time during the exam!

-In regards to learning vocab, there are also some great quizlet flashcard sets with Japanese continuers vocabulary, such as this one:

https://quizlet.com/163927532/japanese-continuers-vocab-flash-cards/

Although, if you've been on exchange (I'm so jealous btw!!) then I'm sure you will have a good grasp on vocabulary already. Apart from that, a good tip is to go through Japanese continuers past HSC reading sections, write down all of the vocabulary you don't know and then make some worksheets for yourself (I did this by making vocab tables) or make some palmcards in order to go over them.

-For HSC continuers writing, practice makes perfect! As you learn your senior structures (the list is in the syllabus: http://educationstandards.nsw.edu.au/wps/portal/nesa/11-12/stage-6-learning-areas/stage-6-languages/continuers/japanese-continuers-syllabus), practice incorporating them into your writing tasks. I would reccommend writing a quick plan of what you are going to discuss before you begin writing.

-Speaking and listening: sounds like you have this down pat!  So that you don't lose the skills which you already have, call and facetime your host family, and chat in Japanese! This will be invaluable for both your speaking and listening. Also, watch Japanese dramas with Japanese subtitles! This is a way to relax and study at the same time!! (No mum I'm not watching TV, I'm studying!!  ;D) I personally also had a Japanese tutor who would help me with speaking, and I improved immensely!

The main advice I can give is to remember that unlike other subjects, Japanese is more than just a final exam. You are gaining an incredible life skill, being able to speak and read a foreign language! So no matter how you do in the exam, remember that this is a real life skill that you can keep for the rest of your life, so maintain your passion for the language and you will be incredible!

頑張ってよ!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 11:52:55 am by liladh »
HSC 2018: English Advanced ✼ Ancient History (5th in the state) ✼ History Extension ✼ Society and Culture ✼ Visual Arts ✼ Japanese Continuers