Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:27:16 pm

Author Topic: How to get a band 6 in PDHPE  (Read 40767 times)  Share 

Amelia12

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +32
  • School: Mount Saint Benedict College
  • School Grad Year: 2014
How to get a band 6 in PDHPE
« on: July 13, 2015, 06:32:50 pm »
+7
This is my advice and experience on how to get a band 6 in PDHPE.

My top tips …

1.   Your syllabus is your bible

All questions for trials and the HSC come from the syllabus so get to know it front to back! You will never be shocked by any questions in the exam if you do this. 
If you don’t feel like doing intense study, an activity we did in class was to cut up the syllabus in even pieces and rearrange it like a puzzle.

2. Make your own study notes
I found that making my study notes really helped me in PDHPE and was actually kind of fun. PDHPE was one of my favourite subjects so I actually enjoyed making the notes and I was learning at the same time. I added lots of diagrams, tables and colour to help me remember the content. Once I had finished my notes I found it really useful to look over my friends notes to add anything that I had missed or that they had done better than me. It’s also a great idea to show your teacher and get their opinion on the content.

My notes can be downloaded at http://atarnotes.com/pages/?state=hsc&subject=PDHPE&units=&p=notes&display=list&search=
3.   Practice makes perfect
Once you have written study notes and know the content in the syllabus, do tonnes of practice questions!! I got mine from past HSC papers and trial papers. You can also get study books such as Excel or Dotpoint, which are really good too. Doing this will give you a great idea of how to answer questions if they come up in an exam and is also a great method of studying.

4.   Go the extra mile
So you want a band 6? In order to be rewarded you need to put in a bit of extra effort. Hand up your practice questions for marking to get feedback and then redo the questions later if you want to. Another great idea is to do some practice essays – this is great to improve your essay writing skills and learn the syllabus content.
Another great idea I was given, was to redo the trial questions you didn’t get right. Generally, trial papers are a lot more difficult to the actual HSC so fixing your mistakes in the trials is great for HSC preparation.

5. Start everything early
There is nothing more stressful than thinking that you are underprepared for an exam or assessment so my best advice is to start studying and preparing for exams early. Don’t leave your assessments till the last minute (1 am the number one culprit for doing this). Just think about the extra marks you could have got if you were more prepared! It is also a really good idea to utilise those few weeks before the HSC for study and practice and don’t waste your time.

6. Try to get good marks throughout your whole HSC year
If you do well throughout the whole year you will be in the best position. However do not stress if your trial mark isn’t as high as you had hoped. The trials are tough, but you still have time to redeem yourself and if you did well in your other assessments you will be okay thus it is really important to put in the effort!

7. Use your classmates to your advantage
It really helps to help each other out. This will boost your ranking and average mark. If your whole cohort does very well, you will bring up each other’s marks and preform exceptionally in the HSC. For example my ranking was in the bottom half of the class and I still managed to get a band 6!

8. My last tip is to enjoy PDHPE. Generally if you have fun and enjoy the subject you will do well ☺ Put in the effort and you will be rewarded in the end.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 04:01:51 pm by Amelia12 »

bumphries

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Dungog High School
  • School Grad Year: 2015
Re: How to get a band 6 in PDHPE
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 08:19:03 pm »
Hi, I can't access your notes - the link goes straight to the blog.

Would you be able to please email me your notes if I PM you my email address?

Thank you,
Breanna

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 08:56:49 pm »
Hi, I can't access your notes - the link goes straight to the blog.

Would you be able to please email me your notes if I PM you my email address?

Thank you,
Breanna

Hey! Sorry, the website just had a really big development and something glitched with the HSC notes, which is why this link is broken. I'm about to upload all of the notes from the new site by Monday night - I'll email you when it's all done (lots of notes other than PDHPE if you're still waiting on trials).

Best,

Brenden :)

p.s - good luck for trials!
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

Erin Cooper

• Fresh Poster
  • School: Orange High School
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 09:00:57 pm »
Hi would you be able to send me the PDHPE notes also? :) xx

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 09:21:33 pm »
Hi would you be able to send me the PDHPE notes also? :) xx
Totally! (Unfortunately, the glitch didn't end up getting resolved today, but should be fixed extremely soon. Hopefully well before your trial for PDHPE!)
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

Amelia12

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +32
  • School: Mount Saint Benedict College
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 04:03:27 pm »
+1
hey guys i've updated the link of how to access my notes! here it is :)
http://atarnotes.com/pages/?state=hsc&subject=PDHPE&units=&p=notes&display=list&search=

isabel_lorenz1

• Adventurer
  • School: Trinity Catholic College
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 08:04:47 am »
+1
Hi,
im ranked 1st for PDHPE and i usually get full marks in short answers, but how do you improve your multiple choice mark? do you guys have any tips and tricks for bumping up your MC mark because i always seem to get 15-16/20 :(
thankyou

skysailingaway

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 02:26:35 pm »
+1
I have problems with the multiple choice in pdhpe, how did you guys revise for it?
~ lots of prac papers?

WLalex

• Forum Regular
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 03:05:30 pm »
+1
Hi,
im ranked 1st for PDHPE and i usually get full marks in short answers, but how do you improve your multiple choice mark? do you guys have any tips and tricks for bumping up your MC mark because i always seem to get 15-16/20 :(
thankyou

Hey! Both Isabel and skysailingaway
 I'm doing PDHPE this year aswell, thought I could possibly be of help..
Here are a couple things I make sure of when answer MC:

1. ALWAYS ready all 4 options because most of the time there are two answers that are extremely similar and may just be worded different and it is your job to pick the best answer (in some cases yes more than one answer could be correct)

2. Process of elimination - usually there is 1 or 2 that just make no sense what so ever...get rid of those and work from there

4. Identify the syllabus dopt point, could possibly help derive the answer

5. Statistics, graphs...be familiar with them e.g. CVD and cancer as these are common multiple choice questions

Hope this was helpful, let me know if there is anything else I could help with

Alex :)
"You don't want to look back and know you could have done better"

2016: Advanced English, Mathematics , Extension Maths, Chemistry, SOR II, PDHPE

ATAR: 97.70

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 10:27:23 am »
Hey! Both Isabel and skysailingaway
 I'm doing PDHPE this year aswell, thought I could possibly be of help..
Here are a couple things I make sure of when answer MC:

1. ALWAYS ready all 4 options because most of the time there are two answers that are extremely similar and may just be worded different and it is your job to pick the best answer (in some cases yes more than one answer could be correct)

2. Process of elimination - usually there is 1 or 2 that just make no sense what so ever...get rid of those and work from there

4. Identify the syllabus dopt point, could possibly help derive the answer

5. Statistics, graphs...be familiar with them e.g. CVD and cancer as these are common multiple choice questions

Hope this was helpful, let me know if there is anything else I could help with

Alex :)

I didn't do PDHPE, but I totally agree with this method of attacking multiple choice questions. You can usually narrow it down by at least half, just using Step 2 as described by WLalex. Get lots of practice with MC questions, because at the end of the day they really are worth a fair number of marks. Seriously good advice WLalex!
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

Enass

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2016, 10:55:01 pm »
Hi. I just wanted to ask how much detail is needed to address the following Sports Medicine extended response question and what i need to include to get a band 6 mark for the response:

'Evaluate how sports policy and the sport environment promote safe participation.' 2010 HSC Exam Sports Medicine Option

Thank you.

bethtyso

• Adventurer
  • School: St Francis De Sales Regional College
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2016, 09:28:02 am »
Hi, could you explain the relationship between the energy systems?

isabel_lorenz1

• Adventurer
  • School: Trinity Catholic College
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2016, 09:24:24 am »
Hi Guys!
ive done all of the PDHPE past papers since they revised the syllabus so i was wondering does anyone have any past trial papers?
would be much appreicated

senara

• Adventurer
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2016, 01:19:23 pm »
Hi I was wondering do we need to know statistics or just trends? For example, the infant mortality rates of ATSI, is it enough to say it has decreased or do we need to how much it has decreased by?

specclee

• Adventurer
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2016, 03:50:12 pm »
Hi. I just wanted to ask how much detail is needed to address the following Sports Medicine extended response question and what i need to include to get a band 6 mark for the response:

'Evaluate how sports policy and the sport environment promote safe participation.' 2010 HSC Exam Sports Medicine Option

Thank you.
Hi there! Not sure if you still need an answer but I just wanted to take a crack at answering:
First let's look at what comes under the dot point in the syllabus:

Sports policy and the sports environment
- rules in sports and activities
- modified rules for children
- matching of opponents, e.g. growth and development, skill level
- use of protective equipment
- safe grounds, equipment and facilities

You're definitely going to have to address the above points in this question.

Since the question is asking you to "evaluate", you're going to have to provide a judgement on whether or not these aspects promote safe participation. It's good to identify how policies promote safety to an EXTENT. Be sure to identify the extent.

For PDHPE questions, it's VERY important that you provide relevant examples to show your understanding of the syllabus. So for this question, I would choose NRL (because I've studied it)

Start with a brief intro (because teachers love intros):

The presence of sports policy and a safe playing environment is essential for injury prevention in athletes and thus safe participation in sports. The various aspects that make up sports policy and a safe sporting environment and assist in promoting athlete wellbeing and safety include rules in sports and activities, modified rules for children, etc... The role of sports policy and the sports environment in promoting safe participation can particularly be examined in many sports such as NRL.

And then you start getting into each aspect of the points under the dot point.
Here's an example:

As many sports and activities have considerable potential for player injury, rules are enforced in order to assist the flow of play and promote player safety and well being. This can particularly be demonstrated in NRL as it is a collision sport, thus presenting many opportunities that may endanger an athlete's safety and wellbeing.
In acknowledging the potential for athlete injury, rugby league policy outlaws dangerous tackles, such as head high or spear tackles. Players will be penalised for committing these illegal movements as they either are ‘sin binned’ or sent off-field for the rest of the match. This promotes athlete well-being and safety as these movements can cause neck, spinal and head injuries, potentially leading to permanent disabilities. Hence, rules in sports and activities promote safe participation as they assist in injury prevention.

And rinse and repeat! Be sure to chuck in some examples that show that some policies don't really promote safe participation so you're actually evaluating.
For example, matching of opponents in children games. For NRL, mod league matches kids by age groups which has pros and cons. This is good because kids are getting matched up by their skill level and mental maturity level but it's also bad because kids can vary in size and body type - so larger kids would have an unfair advantage against smaller kids, which has the potential for injury since it's a collision sport...

Hope that helped!