Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:21:00 am

Poll

what do you think?

i dont really get how to use this
1 (33.3%)
im not sure how to turn off the poll/question function first time on here
2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: stressing!!! subject selection please help!!  (Read 860 times)

SarahEve

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
stressing!!! subject selection please help!!
« on: July 23, 2019, 10:15:47 pm »
+1
Ahh! Okay so basically I am applying to do 2 VCE subjects in year 10 and from some people I've talked to, I'm starting to get psyched out. Part of applying is putting down your preferences so initially, I was thinking 1. biology, 2. psychology, 3. legal studies but if I get my top two preferences will that be too much science as I also want to chemistry as a year 10 elective? Is doing 2 VCE subjects in year 10 even manageable?

I've maintained an A average for as long as I've been at high school and obviously, I don't expect that to stay the same, but I also don't want to do badly. I feel like even though they say you have time I'm planning out what subjects I want to do in year 11/12 as well! I'm finding it really hard to have a balance of subjects that qualify as being good prerequisites, subjects I enjoy and subjects that play to my strengths. If anyone of you could provide some insight and perspective, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks - Sarah  :)

redpanda83

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
Re: stressing!!! subject selection please help!!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 11:34:13 pm »
+2
Ahh! Okay so basically I am applying to do 2 VCE subjects in year 10 and from some people I've talked to, I'm starting to get psyched out. Part of applying is putting down your preferences so initially, I was thinking 1. biology, 2. psychology, 3. legal studies but if I get my top two preferences will that be too much science as I also want to chemistry as a year 10 elective? Is doing 2 VCE subjects in year 10 even manageable?

I've maintained an A average for as long as I've been at high school and obviously, I don't expect that to stay the same, but I also don't want to do badly. I feel like even though they say you have time I'm planning out what subjects I want to do in year 11/12 as well! I'm finding it really hard to have a balance of subjects that qualify as being good prerequisites, subjects I enjoy and subjects that play to my strengths. If anyone of you could provide some insight and perspective, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks - Sarah  :)
It is manageable. I did 2 unit 1/2 in year 10 and 3 3/4 in year 11 (picked up another one in year 11). BUT it depends on how passionate you are about the study you are picking. it will take away lot of your time and sometimes you might even get into situation where you will have to prioritise 1/2 over your year 10 subjects. Balance is the key, cause your 10 subjects may be effected by what you take. STILL its really comforatable when you get hang of it, as you would have more experience on how to handle stress and manage yourslef under pressure. AND will have couple of less subjects to worry about in the end. REMEMBER you can always repeat the 3/4 unit if you are unhappy with your score in the long run, in your 12. So you get an advantage.
Didnt do any of those subjects, cause picked two maths and a language. So dont know how those subjects are.
I hope you best of luck !
VCE 2017 - 2019  |  ATAR: 97.65
Further [43], Chemistry [42],Physics[41], Methods [41],Hindi[35], EAL [39]

UoM 2020 - 2025  |  Bachelor of Science / Master of Engineering

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 07:38:20 am »
+3
Hey Sarah!

I’m assuming you mean 2x Year 11 subjects (Unit 1 and 2) here. I personally did 3: Psych, General Maths and Chinese SL, although I’ll admit that 2 would’ve been better (and I only did Psych U3/4 in Year 11). 

In terms of prerequisites, it really depends on what you’re intending to do or are considering to study after Year 12 i.e. what sort of courses are you looking at for uni? The VCE sciences tend to be mostly one of multiple options for prerequisites e.g. doing at least one of Psych, Bio, Chem or Physics will often be a prerequisite for a Bachelor of Science at Monash, if that makes sense. What areas are you hoping to head towards after VCE?

As RedPanda has mentioned, fairly manageable if you invest the effort and once you get the swing of things. Please don’t neglect your Year 10 subjects too often though! They will be crucial in building fundamental skills for future years, especially in English and Maths.

In terms of choice, if science is your thing and that’s where you want to head, then by means, go for it. (I may be a little biased...  ::) ) But also keep in mind any change you may also go through. If your interests and skills are diverse, then remember to have a little wiggle room in case of a career change.

My number 1 piece of advice for your situation is definitely pick subjects that you enjoy a lot! If you enjoy the subjects you do, this will make your study a lot less of a drag than if you’d purely played to your strengths or to scaling (these are common mistakes). Some people may also offer the advice of doing “heavier subjects” first, so that might be something to consider as well.

Hope that helps! :)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 07:56:00 am by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 04:30:18 pm »
Welcome to ATAR Notes, SarahEve. :) Some great advice above. I agree that it'll probs be fine, but definitely worth chatting with your teachers about workload if you think it might be an issue (they'll be able to provide some great perspective given they know you!).

I did Business Management 1&2 in Year 10. In hindsight, definitely would have done another Units 1&2 subject.

Good luck - keep us updated with what you're thinking! :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.