Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:30:30 am

Author Topic: Jimmy's VCE Journal  (Read 16827 times)

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +154
Re: Jimmy's VCE Journal
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2019, 03:59:02 pm »
+8
First Holiday update!

The lectures were awesome, attended Methods & Legal Studies and both lecturers had a plethora of kahoots, memes and valuable content to keep me very much engaged. The Vic meetup yesterday was amazing, thanks to all the people that made it so enjoyable  :) Was working this morning, and getting stuck into some study now.
2018 - 2019 (VCE): English Language, Maths Methods, Legal Studies, Global Politics, Business Management (2018), Philosophy
2020 - 2024: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash University

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2019, 04:02:04 pm »
+1
First Holiday update!

The lectures were awesome, attended Methods & Legal Studies and both lecturers had a plethora of kahoots, memes and valuable content to keep me very much engaged. The Vic meetup yesterday was amazing, thanks to all the people that made it so enjoyable  :) Was working this morning, and getting stuck into some study now.

Was great to meet you!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2019, 11:14:42 pm »
+3
Was great to meet you!
You too!

Worked the last couple of days, so I really need to get back on track with my holiday homework.  :-X
2018 - 2019 (VCE): English Language, Maths Methods, Legal Studies, Global Politics, Business Management (2018), Philosophy
2020 - 2024: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash University

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2019, 10:11:01 am »
+1
You too!

Worked the last couple of days, so I really need to get back on track with my holiday homework.  :-X

All about the balance. Bit by bit. You'll get there. :)

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2019, 11:25:03 pm »
+4
Hey All! Sorry I haven't been active this past month or so! Been super busy, Methods & Legal SACs last week, EngLang & Philosophy SACs tomorrow and Thursday.

Going pretty well, getting some good preparation in for our SAC week which is in a few weeks time, got some results back from the end of last term and they were all positive. Fingers crossed for tomorrow!

I'll be sure to give you a quicker update next time around.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2019, 09:45:40 am »
Hey All! Sorry I haven't been active this past month or so! Been super busy, Methods & Legal SACs last week, EngLang & Philosophy SACs tomorrow and Thursday.

Going pretty well, getting some good preparation in for our SAC week which is in a few weeks time, got some results back from the end of last term and they were all positive. Fingers crossed for tomorrow!

I'll be sure to give you a quicker update next time around.

Good luck for today dude! Let us know how you go. :)

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2019, 01:57:48 pm »
+3
Hey All,

I'll go the long way around this time. VCAA timetable came out last Wednesday and safe to say I was *over the moon* to see EngLang on the 31st...I mean it's like a few days after my birthday which sucks but I'm so rapt it's not in the corridor of uncertainty that would've been that third/final week of exams. I kept scrolling and got mighty annoyed seeing Methods #1, Philo & Methods #2 in back to back days, but since they're currently my two worst subjects I guess I can just smash out the other three? Then week breaks between this, Legal & Politics. Safe to say, I'm not looking forward to prepping for two exams on the same day as dense as Philo & Methods #2, I struggle enough with two SACs on the same day! However, it could've been worse so I'm sorta grateful.

Good luck for today dude! Let us know how you go. :)
A+ on the AC  :D I was super happy with how it went and it feels good to know the result showed that. Legal went well, Methods did not and Philo was in between.

Now, back to the present. SAC week has arrived! EngLang Essay tomorrow, we know it's on register but nothing else, I've written a practice essay and done some practice plans/intros. Hoping to spend all of tonight touching up on my examples/quotes/article evidence, fingers crossed I can put another good essay on paper!

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2019, 02:04:59 pm »
Congrats on getting through that chunk of SACs and for your results - particularly that A+ analytical commentary. That's awesome, really well done. :) Sending good vibes for tomorrow!

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2019, 03:54:19 pm »
Congrats on getting through that chunk of SACs and for your results - particularly that A+ analytical commentary. That's awesome, really well done. :) Sending good vibes for tomorrow!
Thanks! I'm looking forward to it. Any tips for an Essay? Currently correlating my evidence, register as a topic is so broad it could be anything!

Methods is Wednesday, Legal/Philo double Thursday, then I have the whole weekend for Politics.  :)

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2019, 04:03:39 pm »
Thanks! I'm looking forward to it. Any tips for an Essay? Currently correlating my evidence, register as a topic is so broad it could be anything!

Methods is Wednesday, Legal/Philo double Thursday, then I have the whole weekend for Politics.  :)

I think broad preparation like what it sounds as though you're doing is good. Don't want to get too caught up in a specific topic and then get thrown a real curve-ball on the day. :)

brothanathan

« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2019, 11:23:17 pm »

Hi Jimmmy,

Would you have any tips on what you should pre-study for Philo, what demeanor to use in class and how to study for assessments? I'm entering Unit 2 Philo in two weeks and some advice would be appreciated, especially someone like you who's currently doing the new study design.

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2019, 08:51:44 pm »
+4
Hi Jimmmy,

Would you have any tips on what you should pre-study for Philo, what demeanor to use in class and how to study for assessments? I'm entering Unit 2 Philo in two weeks and some advice would be appreciated, especially someone like you who's currently doing the new study design.
Hi Nathan! Good to see another Philosophy face around here.  :) I've got a couple of things to mention, so I'll do it in list form;

1) In relation to demeanor in class; ask lots of questions, but make sure you have thought the question through. Philo is very dense, so sometimes you might ask a question that, if you had thought about for a few more minutes, you could've answered yourself. It's probably one of the few subjects where I'd give that advice, but it's definitely beneficial. This year (for our class at least), our teacher has left us a lot to our own devices to research and come up with arguments/rebuttals, so getting into that habit early puts you a step ahead.

2) In terms of study? I found Y11 very different to 12 in that you don't study set texts in 11 but do in 12. I'd suggest practice (as I've listed in (3)), and if you get bored of the set texts for next year, I'd highly suggest David Armstrong's 'Nature of Mind' if you have spare time. In Philo, the more you read, and more understanding you accumulate, the better you'll go.

3)3&4 Philosophy has set texts, and only those set texts that you must refer to in each AOS. There's not much, but it's quite dense so if I were you, I'd start investigating those texts and getting a grasp of them before next year. It's something I would've done, but the *annoyingly* new study design coming out late ruined that. Make sure that by next year, you know the set texts like the back of your hand.

4)The next step, EVALUATION! The majority of Philo marks (extended response, essay) require your own arguments, ideas etc., now this is where people get a bit confused. You can use philosophers who aren't listed in the study design in evaluations and critically compare questions, despite the fact they're not technically 'your arguments'. Considering that, after taking a look at the set texts, I would highly suggest browsing some rebuttals, and counter-arguments to the set texts that you can discuss in detail. Think of the set texts logically, there's always going to be holes. Like a philosophy teacher once told me, 'if any of these philosophers had solved any of these problems, they'd have nobel prizes'.

5)Make sure you like Metaphysics! In Year 11, we did Epistemology, Metaphysics, Logic, Ethics and even touched on Aesthetics. Year 12 is strictly Metaphysics, with Logic being sort of 'pre-required' knowledge. I was always a big knowledge fan, so in all honesty I'm not enjoying Year 12 quite as much as last year. That said, it's still a wonderful study design and some may find it much more enjoyable.

I hope that was somewhat helpful, and if you have any other questions please ask  :) Always up for a Philo chat.

brothanathan

« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2019, 09:49:33 pm »
Thank you Jimmy  :D, I'll make sure I get Metaphysics down pat by the end of this year.  In terms of argument analysis, a teacher at Distance Ed sent me this link: http://philosophy.hku.hk/think/arg/ that supposedly teaches you the techniques of reasoning needed. Honestly, quite skeptical about this link because of the bad rep about the resources suggested by DECV(not sure about Philo there). Would love some altruism here aha.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 09:55:22 pm by brothanathan »

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2019, 12:29:08 pm »
+2
Thank you Jimmy  :D, I'll make sure I get Metaphysics down pat by the end of this year.  In terms of argument analysis, a teacher at Distance Ed sent me this link: http://philosophy.hku.hk/think/arg/ that supposedly teaches you the techniques of reasoning needed. Honestly, quite skeptical about this link because of the bad rep about the resources suggested by DECV(not sure about Philo there). Would love some altruism here aha.
Honestly, resources are so hard to find for Philo. I highly suggest linking up with some other schools you know do Philo and trying to brainstorm ideas that way. I'm fortunate my cohort is pretty good with class discussion generating ideas.

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2019, 12:01:17 pm »
+4
Hey All!

Been a long time in between drinks, but thought I'd finally get back around to this! In reality, nothing much has happened since my last post on June 16. The SAC week was the weeks prior to it, and only had a Methods SAC first week back this term and a Philosophy SAC today!

SAC week results went well, all but Methods sorta being a pain. Everything else was at expected, or exceeded expectations. EngLang Unit 3 Essay went great, Methods was meh but considering how I felt about the theory at the time that was accepted, Legal was pretty straightforward, Philo I thought I did better straight after than my results showed, but still happy and despite GloPol being littered with a few silly mistakes, but still very good.

My holidays were 'relatively' productive. You know how you always feel like you should do more, despite getting it all done? That's how I felt.

I'll hold off on making any 'mid-year' predictions, as I don't want to jinx my two very important SACs tomorrow, but Legal, EngLang & Politics predictions have all definitely gone up. I really have high hopes, but I'm going to just keep working as hard as I can and hope the results show. Philo probably the same, and Methods, despite my best mark yet on the last sac which exceeded my last 'best' result by a grade (A!), I still want to keep conservative and just make sure I get the prerequisite of 25 to keep my options open.

I'm caught in a bit of a whirlwind right now, lots of SACs this term, lots to do, and despite wanting to keep my notes 'nice and orderly' as I have done for all of my subjects except Philo tbh, I need to prioritise my SAC performance too. They go in conjunction, but only to a limited extent in my eyes.

I feel like I'm going to have to spend the whole Term 3 holidays basically 'patching up' and metaphorically 'sticking together' all my notes and ideas.

Will 100% put up another update sooner than the last!